Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title states I am recieving calls while online (dial up) from my home number which is what I am online with. It will even leave a 5 second message. I don't know what it says, if anything because my volume hasn't worked in months.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Do you have call waiting or call forwarding ??

I have seen 2 different dialers configured and by opening a auto dialed program (like mail) and a browser it will connect if you have call waiting or forwarding.
WHY ???
I have no idea but when i was on dial up i always used a manual dialer and not a auto dialer. i made sure i knew was online.

Also i have seen some viruses do a remote dial to some unwanted phone numbers.

FYI

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have call waiting. I have no idea about auto dialing. But I have had call waiting since before I ever had this compooper and never had that happen until a month or so ago, when all of a sudden there is a call and I almost signed off till I realized it was my home phone that was calling me. It has happend a half dozen times or so since. It just doesn't happen often but sure is weird when it does.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I was just curious if you had made some setting changes. Or if you added a program that requires being online.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
None I can think of.

·
R.I.P.
79 Posts
David,
Try going to the sound control center.

In XP, Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices, In the Device Volume box, left click advance, that will bring up Volume Control.

Left click the word options, on the volume control screen, then left click properties, Under Show the following Volume Controls, check and see if Volume Control is checked.

If not, left click in the box for Volume Control, then left click okay.

"X" out of the rest of the boxes, then you might try F5 to reset you computer look in the task bar and see it the Volume Control shows up, it will look like a speaker.

If this doesn't work, let me know, and we can try something else.

Good Luck

Rick

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Do you answer yourself? :popcorn2
Was thinking the same thing,LOL. I hope "you" arent calling a lot of other ppl too,esp if you dont have the unlimited plan.:eek: If "you" are calling those 900 #s ,"you" will have some explaining to do.:eek:

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you answer yourself? :popcorn2
I have actually out of curiosity. Nothing there tough. Rick all my volume controls are turned up. One of first things I checked.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had signed off after posting and was just getting back on and there is volume when signing on the inital dial tone then the static but then nothing.

·
Registered
610 Posts
i have a similar problem i hear voices in my head when on LTS
or maybe its my wife chirping at me

JR

·
R.I.P.
79 Posts
I have actually out of curiosity. Nothing there tough. Rick all my volume controls are turned up. One of first things I checked.
David,
Since there is quite a bit of distance between us, I can recommend http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm.

That program you run all night if you need to, it will correct settings etc on your computer.

I have owned it for 5 years, and run it at least quarterly. it seems to speed up my computer also.

Rick

·
R.I.P.
79 Posts
Was thinking the same thing,LOL. I hope "you" arent calling a lot of other ppl too,esp if you dont have the unlimited plan.:eek: If "you" are calling those 900 #s ,"you" will have some explaining to do.:eek:
John,
What do you know about those 900 #'s ??? :wink

1 - 13 of 13 Posts