Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a thread earlier this year at "the other site" asking what everyone thought of converting my v-box from gas to electric. Well, the gas is out and the electric power works like a champ. The project was much easier and cheaper than I expected. Total cost was around $400. I would definitely recomend this to anyone who is having any troubles with a gas powered v-box. If anyone is interested in any specific details just let me know.

And by the way, nice site - it feels like I'm back at home with familiar faces again.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Where did you get the parts for the convertion?And know what ratio to get the pullies.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got all of the specs for the motor off of an electric smith spreader. I just matched them up at Granger - they had one sitting on the shelf. 12v-1800rpm-DC-1/3HP-27amp-cont duty. The continious duty relay came from NAPA. Everything else is nothing special - just sprockets, wire etc. All of the electric v-box conveyer chains are geared down so they move slower than the gas. Now I should have done some mathmatical conversions to get the correct sprockets exact the first time, but I just figured what sizes I should need based on the old # of teeth and got a few extra sizes. First time it was slower than with the gas, but still a little fast, so I changed one sprocket and its about where it should be now. Gathering up all the parts is the most time consuming part of the job, but it's a real simple deal.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Any pics?
what size salter did you do the conversion on?

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
Have you tried the spreader with a load on it yet? The smiths units use a 50-1 gear box, and most gas units use a 25-1 gear reduction. My cause fo concern is the electric conversion not haveing enough grunt with out the gear reduction at start up.
Dino

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have run a load through it and it seems ok, but we have yet to have an event to give a full test. I realize that the electric units spin much slower than the gas, and have slowed it down alot through the sprocket gearing but I was not sure exactly how much slower. If you could give me the speed of your Smiths conveyer (feet/min?) I will know how far off I am. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts