Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please educate me on the difference of "full trip" and "trip edge", which is better and why?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
A full trip plow is one like a Western, Blizzard, Meyers etc. The whole moldboard will trip forward, alloing to y ou pass the obstruction.

A trip edge plow, namely Fisher, will only trip the cutting edge of the plow to pass an obstacle.

IMO, they both have their ups and downs, and I can't say that one is really better than the other, it depends on the size of plow and type of plowing you do. I think trip edge plows are better for road plowing and Municipalities, due to the heavier bracing that can be done to the moldboard since it doesn't trip.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
This is a topic that always seems to come up and its really a matter of oppinion I think. Its like asking, which is better Ford or Chevy and why. All the Ford guys will say Ford and all the Chevy guys will say Chevy. Full trip means when you hit an obstacle, the whole moldboard trips forward then comes back to being upright. A trip edge plow, just the very bottom of the plow trips when you hit something and the rest of the moldboard stays upright. People claim that with a trip edge plow, you dont lose much of the snow you were pushing when it trips. I use a full trip plow, a Western, and it doesnt lose all the snow when it trips, even though some people think it does. It does still continue to push and scrape which is good. I never plowed with a trip edge plow myself, but would like to just so I know for myself, which does a better job and which *feels* better to plow with. The only thing I dont like about the full trip plow, is sometimes when it trips, it tends to want to stay down and it wont spring back up. I have my springs tightened pretty well too, I wouldnt wanna make them any tighter, although there is much more to go on them. This doesnt happen alot at all, but when it does happen, I find it to be annoying. Mike :)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Mike put it pretty well... personally i like the full trip plows never had a problem with them... also boss makes a trip edge plow too so basicly those are your two main options if you decide you want a trip edge plow. both are good plows its just what ya get used to and personal preferance...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a fisher (trip edge) and a meyer both work well like mike pointed out sometimes with a full load of snow the meyer will stay down and I either slow stop or lift it to reset. Ihavent seen the fisher stay tripped but then mostly I cant see the edge of it.

Dean

·
Registered
382 Posts
I am only familiar with Fisher plows. Do the springs "wear" out on a full trip plow? I saw a guy plowing with a Meyer, it looked like it's been around for awile. And the plow was in the full trip position 80% of the time! Whenever he started to push the blade would fold flat. Is this common or is spring adjustment or replacement in order?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Trip springs do get weak over time,especially if the plow is tripped a lot.I replace them ever few years,just to be safe,and it make the plow stay upright better.If a full trip plow is properly set up,and the trip springs are adjusted correctly,they shouldn't flop forward too much,just when needed.

I find the full trip plows do a better job.At least you can still scrape when it's real icy.The trip edge plows like to fly up,and won't continue to scrape.

Here is a shot of my Western,plowing fully tripped.It still scrapes,and doesn't lose any snow when tripped.I had no choice,as the snow was firmly bonded to the pavement,and the lots needed to be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
ALot of city plows around here have full trip blades now. ANd i have one and i like it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Personally I prefer the trip edge, having plowed with both Meyer and Arctic full trip, and Fisher trip edge. I used to replace Meyer and the Arctic springs every so often because they broke, I have NEVER replaced a Fisher spring( compression vs extension). A full trip plow in heavy going will lean forward, and stay that way to you back out of it or lift the plow slightly, the trip edge plow will trip spring back and trip again repeatedly in the same conditions, leaving ridges in the path, which will scrape down the next pass.
Some full trip plows have a shock installed to prevent the violent return of the plow to the upright position. Anyways it a bit of personal preference as to which one is best.

Bill

·
Registered
473 Posts
After using the fisher, I prefer the edge over the full trip, in the last storm I was plowing behind a meyers,and it was tripping due to being wet, and i stayed stright and smooth.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts