Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In loo of what reciently happened to my ram i figured i would share the story. 8 injectors a fuel pump and a complete flush of the fuel system later my truck is running thankfully it went down just after i finished plowing and i was able to get it repaired before the next event. apparently i got a load of bad gas that was full of sediment and debries... i got the gas from one of the local country fair gas station... usually i wount go there because i had found in the past when i ran country fair gas the truck wouldnt run as good but that night i was in the middle of a 14 hr run and i didnt feel like taking the time to drive 20 min out of the way to go to a better gas station... needless to say i payed dearly for that one. so everyone watch where ya get gas from because some of these stations have crap gas and its alot cheaper to pay for more expencive better gas elsewhere than to go to whatevers close and a cheap price...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have all my fuel receipts for the year saved incase something were to happen. Most stations will take care of any problems caused by bad fuel from there tanks.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Which Country Fair did you go to, just so I can avoid it. I usually try to stick with Shell or Sheetz and once in a while Lavery's in Waterford, haven't had any problems with any of them. BP and Country Fair however I've noticed my truck doesn't like.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
contaminated fuel

Thats usually not the case . Quality control and most old tanks have been replaced due to environmental laws has made these stories few and far between . Drivers of most companies are required to "stick" the tanks and if the stick indicates to much water they wont drop the load . A large contamination event would put a station out of business .

·
Registered
660 Posts
Adams Plowing said:
. 8 injectors a fuel pump and a complete flush of the fuel system later my truck is running thankfully it went down just after i finished plowing and i was able to get it repaired before the next event. apparently i got a load of bad gas that was full of sediment and debries...
:huh :huh :huh

Couple of questions.......

I see no mention of a fuel filter being replaced. This should have caught ALL of this and, if anything.....CLOGGED and only allowed your truck to idle or putter along. Worst case it wouldn't run, and only require a fuel filter change after draining the tank.

How did all this get PAST your fuel filter, and ruin your injectors?

Just how much sediment did you get from this station? ALL gas station pumps have fuel filters to protect THEIR meter's and pumps. While they're not a very good filter, they will stop visible debris.

I'm sorry to hear of your problems, but I find the amount of work you had to do to correct this a bit much.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
thats why I think it sounds like water . which is a temporary problem . unless the truck sat idle for a while with water in the injectors . THis time of year are trucks are not usually idle :D

Most stations wont leave out filters and ruin their own equipment tp pump contaminated gas .

·
Registered
701 Posts
Re: Re: fuel for our trucks...

TLS said:
:huh :huh :huh

Couple of questions.......

I see no mention of a fuel filter being replaced. This should have caught ALL of this and, if anything.....CLOGGED and only allowed your truck to idle or putter along. Worst case it wouldn't run, and only require a fuel filter change after draining the tank.

How did all this get PAST your fuel filter, and ruin your injectors?

Just how much sediment did you get from this station? ALL gas station pumps have fuel filters to protect THEIR meter's and pumps. While they're not a very good filter, they will stop visible debris.

I'm sorry to hear of your problems, but I find the amount of work you had to do to correct this a bit much.

The newer dodges don't have a separate fuel filter they have a "sock" on the pickup that is supposed to "filter" the fuel, however the dealership will tell you it never needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
If you only had the in-tank filter, I would quickly install or have installed, another filter along the frame rail somewhere, to prevent against this exact thing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just my .02 cents.
I would have to agree that it may have been water. I would also spend $10 for a filter and a couple of flare nuts and install a secondary filter. I would also ask the station what he is going to do to repair my truck and remody the situation. I would also contact the state weights and measure department.
My father in law got a bad tank of gas at a Cumberland Farms a few years back. 4 cars stalled at the pumps. They paid for everyones cars to be repaired, new fuel pumps for 2 of them. It was a 50/50 mix of water and gas.
A friend of mine bought a new 2001 Dodge Ram when I did. He used dry gas once a month. I used it once a year because I never let my tank go below 1/2. He replaced 6 injectors because supposedly the dry gas was eating at the plastic tank. I never replaced 1. We both own GMC's now.
I also buy gas at the same station every time unless I travel out of town. I have 2 accounts with him and have never had any problems. It may be worth it to try and stick with the same gas so you have a record of using their gas if anything happens.:)
Again it is just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope if definatly was not water i have the injectors sitting on my porch right now as proof, going after them for the problem you can look in the hole on the #8 injector and its completely packed with debries and hte others are partilay filled with them. the filter on the dodges does leave alot to be desired seeing as its only the little sock thing on the end of the fuel pump in the tank... it was the one on 26th and zuck right by the pendot truck and salt lot.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
EXplain
Just so you fellows know the dodges have more than a sock filter in the tank the fuel filter sets ontop of the fuel sending unit and it is replacable cost about 70.00 for the filter.

Next what happened to Adams truck is indeed sediment brown rusty deposits that pluged his fuel system , the trucks fuel system is all plastic fuel tank most lines, dirt still gets in the bladder of fuel station tanks and when the tankers drop there load it stirs up the debris,

Second Bill has far has sticking tanks a small amount of paste is used and it indicates about of water in the tank does not mean the station is water free and belive me i bet if i went threw my town alot od stations are at or near the allowed limit for water

Next when pumping fuel at a station and the pump is running real slow the filters on the pump are in desperate need of changing has they are bypassing allowing the crap to enter your fuel tank.

just some fyi stuff for ya fellows

·
Registered
357 Posts
When we were going after some gremlins on my dad's old 97 Dodge, we looked for the fuel filter. The dodge parts guy told us that 94-97 trucks just have a screen, not an actual filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can't believe they don't put on a real filter

And that goes triple for a fuel injected vehicle, its just plain cheap and irresponsible. FWIW they make a real nice spin on filter for marine inboard auto engines. The whole kit is under $25 and uses a filter like a regular oil filter. They use a nice " L " bracket to mount which is furnished. The filters are only $7 and are easy to spin off and dump out. The best part is that the size makes for some serious room to catch water. You can find them at all the online and mail order places for marine stuff like overtons. It never ceases to amaze me how cheap the automotive manufacturers can be, its criminal.

·
Registered
225 Posts
2 things to offer here.

1, stick with good sized BUSY chains, the constant turnover in the fuel keeps the tanks fuller, and keeps the water and crap from settling and building up in thier tanks.

2, AVOID filling up after a good storm if you can. if they can't get a load in to file the big tanks, you will be sucking all the crap off the bottom of the tank. I have heard of bigger truckstops getting someone in to suck the tanks dry after they run them real low. it, gets the junk and water out of the bottom and keeps them from paying out for service calls on a couple dozen trucks.:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
And More I learn about Fuel Systems Now

My wifes 2000 Grand Cherokee just quit on the run in the middle of a big storm last Friday, thought it was froze then thought it was the filter. Got one ( ONLY FROM JEEP) $78 and a bitch to put on. Lucky I thought as 93-98 jeeps all had the filter in with the pump in the tank as one unit, and not reliable at that. Well as it turns out my fuel pump is shot at 54,000. Isn' that lovely and typical for something made in the USA. All the Jap cars I owned for the last 20 years ( all very hi mileage / old) and I never once changed a fuel pump. The dealer only wanted $500 to replace it and its a regular recurring problem thats well documented. Of course with that in mind I took it to a local garage and told him to make sure he gets an aftermarket pump. Jeep can stick it along with their self destructing brake disks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
When out plowing we only put high octance gas in our trucks from name brand gas stations. NEVER gas up when the transports come in to fill up the tanks. It usually means they are low on gas and when they fill the tanks they stir around the gas and you start to get water and other crap in your tank.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Beast12 said:
When out plowing we only put high octance gas in our trucks from name brand gas stations. NEVER gas up when the transports come in to fill up the tanks. It usually means they are low on gas and when they fill the tanks they stir around the gas and you start to get water and other crap in your tank.

-Matt :canada
same here

1 - 18 of 18 Posts