Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone has experiens with plowing with a quad. i was wondering at about what speed you can plow at on a sidewalk where you feel you have control and the plow doesnt trip up. i have a 48" warn 2 trip springs anyone with experience with this plow in particular. anything to watch out for or mods that would help it out.

·
AKA "Iceman"
821 Posts
No experience plowing with a quad, but from experience I can tell you that any sidewalk vehicle should be driven at a safe steady speed. You never know where a cracked or lifted section of sidewalk may be.

I used to use an old wheelhorse tractor with a 48 " plow on walks, I can tell you it sure wakes you up when you hit a raised lip. This wheelhorse had a cab, so you weren't gonna get tossed off.

I can't imagine doing a "high" rate of speed on a quad plowing sidewalks.... too dangerous.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not expecting to be able to fly i was just wondering to be able to estimate the time it will take to do the sidewalks in the different associations. i mean the difference between 2 and 4mph is huge and i was wondering approx what rate of speed i could safely go with out killing the quad me or the lawn

·
Registered
610 Posts
the first plow i had on my wolverine was home made

drove around the neighbor hood doing the walks
hit a raised section of concrete
not only did it almost shoot me over the handle bars
but it bent the plow frame

replaced the blade and installed a u-edge

alot safer and wont damage the grass

it not the speed that kills its the sudden stop
:headwall :headwall

john

·
Registered
199 Posts
Listen to the Car Doc, He's seen me make a few sudden stops!!!!:headwall Realisticly, you should always maintain safe plowing speeds, I plow my driveway, it's about 25' long and the apron has a 1" raise in it, hit that and you'll pee yourself... Just my .02$

·
Registered
413 Posts
Unless you're operating on brand new concrete where you know for sure you don't have cracks and lifted sections of concrete to contend with, I would recommend putting a urethane edge on the blade. For the $75 you'll spend, you'll save your wrists, teeth and your machine. The bent mulboard I have now is from before the urethane when on the blade.

We try to plow in 2nd or 3rd gear depending on how deep/heavy the snow is. Generally no more than 12 to 15 mph when we know the area and down under 10 mph when we don't know the area as well or when the walks are cracked up. Keep in mind that you want a little momentum for getting through drifts and tougher stuff, so taking a snails pace may not be too good either since you'll be asking the quad to do all the work. Much more than 20 mph with the blade down may not give you time to react should you need to stop suddenly.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Im thinkin about setting my Grizzly up with a plow.Whats a good brand?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I agree with Lawn Lad, I would recommend putting a urethane edge on the blade. Well worth the investment it will say wear and tear on your atv and on the sidewalk as well. JMO

·
Registered
49 Posts
phillyplowking1 said:
Im thinkin about setting my Grizzly up with a plow.Whats a good brand?

The cycle country plows are ok, What size grizzly is it?

Cycle country makes 42" 48" 60" and 72" plows, and county type plows.

Also I reccomend the warn 1700i Winch for lifting the plow if you use it alot. the manual lift is ok but electric is nice. I have installed many of these setups if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i went with the 48" for sidewalks. with it angled it will give me a few inches on either side befor i leave a trail of beaver pelts. i was told that a winch was not a good idea for a plow for commercial use. they are meant to pull thousands of pounds therefore have a high draw. i went with the warn plow acuater it will only lift acouple hundred pounds but has a much less draw.

·
Registered
610 Posts
go manual
i know several guys that broke the acuator
only thing the motor is is a window lift motor
i have a winch on mine not happy with the angel of the cable
this yr it will be manual

john

·
Registered
49 Posts
Our winch has held up for 2 years. The manual lifts work great but after a while it gets old lifting and lowering, makes for a pooped arm.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My brother in law has the polaris plow(60") and the set up they sell at the dealer is a winch to raise it.

Dan

·
Registered
610 Posts
kawdude said:
Our winch has held up for 2 years. The manual lifts work great but after a while it gets old lifting and lowering, makes for a pooped arm.
thats my shovelers problem
ill be in the truck with the heater on lol

john:shades

1 - 20 of 62 Posts