Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I probably should have posted this in the diesel forum, but since this forum didnt have anything in it yet, it was a no brainer

Just wondered what was going on with the new 6.0
I havn't heard any chatter good or bad lately.
And also the new 5speed trans. It sounds like an awesome
combination... let us know!!!

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I rented a 550 with the 6.0/5spd combo It runs great has lots of power and very good take off when pulling onto the road with a load.I did have a little hesataion like it was going to stall but that was it and it only did while on a hill.:burnout

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
They are still having problems,just not quite as bad.They have some fixes available,bur most seem to be band aids so far.Biggest problem is idle control and they eat turbo's

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I don't own one but I do monitor the 6.0 sites and forums and the chatter has reduced alot, and I take that to be a very good sign since people don't post things like "my trucks running great today" on a continual basis. I would stay away from 2003 and early 2004 models though. Ford is/was destined to fix these problems since they won't give away market share forever.

Try thedieselstop.com, in the 6.0 forum you'll see most of the problems with 2004 built in Late summer, early september are fine. Also try 6.0.com (or something like that) and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've got 6000 miles on my 2003 F250 6.0 diesel, and no problems to speak of, other than a little fluctuation on idle. Time will tell, as my 7.2 had 150k on it with no engine probles on it at all, then it was stolen. Bastards. :mad:

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have about 2700mi and mine runs great! Awesome power, its like a rocket, and the trans is right there, the 1-2 shift is so quick and crisp is perfect.:D

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
no bs with this ps

Mine know has 3265 miles it runs like theres no tomarrow, it has ate one turbo, and does have some idle surge but ill tell ya i will stick with this engine because it flat flys and the mileage is unbeliveable . I had stated at the other site that me and my brother touched off the 6.0 and the 7.3 i have in my 97 and i blew the doors off that ford i cant say enough about the tranny has well crisp shifts sweet.

My feelings are this i have always been a ford man threw and threw i will stick with this set up even if it takes a replacement engine at some point i have plenty of warr left and iam not gonna sweat it i once again have never driven a quieter smoother powerful diesel has this one i cant wait to push snow with it

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
I would also now say that the 6.0PSD with the 5speed auto is an awesome match up.

I have a JUN 03 built F-450 and I too had a few problems during the 1st 1500miles or so, Bad #3 injector 2nd gen. injectors, blown turbo hose, rough idle, surging in reverse, blowing warm A/C under a load, but just had the lastest reprogram and the thing runs great. The tranny shifts effortlessly not like the older PSD's, hardly no smoke, and in tow/haul mode it up shifts and downshift like a big truck. I can not say the same about my Chevy 2500HD with tow/haul option.

My only current complaint is MPG. I have not seen anything over 8.5 but with 4:88 gears and a locking diff. and all summer I tow a 7X14 enclosed trailer. Now in the winter I will only be plowing with it so there too it will be loaded most of the time or at least runing with the plow on when empty. I guess that is why I went with the daul fuel tanks, with 56 gallons of fuel I should be able to find a gas station within 450miles.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not sure what kinda mileage you should expect with those tall gears in there. I love the sound of them 6.0s, man is that a nice sounding engine. I was also impressed with the new cummings. That engine is real quiet. Esspecialling compared to the old one. I just havn't heard any stats on that one yet....

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just ran the numbers on my last 700 miles. 15.1 mpg on the nose. Not too bad, since it is about half and half freeway and city miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts