Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that the Front end of a F350/F450/ and F550 are all the same if X springs are ordered. The only difference is that the tires are different on the F450 and F550. The Springs are rated at 6000lbs. How come it is not recommended to install a Blizzard 8611 on a Regular Cab 350 and only on the F450 and F550?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
The F350's have smaller brakes,and smaller rims and tires.They have a 5200 lb front axle rating,vs a 6000 lb for the bigger trucks.I don't think there is enough room to put an 8611 on an F350 without exceeeding the FAWR.Adding a lot of ballast to compensate for the heavy plow would probably put you over your GVWR too.

The F450\550 have lower gear ratios,and bigger rear ends for more pushing power,which will be a big help pushing an 8611.

I'm sure it can be done,just don't expect Ford to warranty it,or the DOT to be too nice if you get stopped.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris,

Thanks for clarifying those things for me. I wonder if Dodge will ever make a 4500 or a 5500? It would be nice if there were some more choices in that class of trucks.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I know Dodge did make some heavier trucks,but they were only sold in Mexico.

It would be nice to have something that would legally carry a little more weight,without getting into a medium duty truck.Especially a Dodge with a Cummins in it. :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would love to go with a Dodge 4500 or 5500, I am still very leary of the 6.0. I currently own 2 7.3 Powerstrokes and they have been great to me. I would like to try a Cummins, but only time will tell.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the F550 would work good with a 8611, but the smallest gears you can get with is a 4:88. I have heard the mileage is very bad with this ratio.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Did I hear someone say "Gear Vendors"? The price of a gear vendors overdrive is a drop in the bucket on a F550 rigged up with a 8611 and a decent dump box or sander. And you get twice the amount of available gear selections (in 2WD only)

kewl!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts