Snowplow Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a larger truck this season, a 450 or 550. I would like to go the diesel rout but am a little leery of the 6.0. I have heard they have several issues. I would be looking at trucks with over 100k on them.

My question is, are these the money pits I have heard them to be? Do I need to be wary of trucks with over 100k? 150k? What types of issues have you personally had?

Like everyone, I'm concerned about reliability and expense. There's nothing worse that having a truck break down during a storm, except having it cost an arm and a leg to repair as well.

Thanks in advance...

·
Tileman's Boys
1,094 Posts
look for a gm in that size. Less problems about 4k total retail for injectors at 100 -200 k but can be bought half price used. solid front axle and allison trans

·
Registered
125 Posts
The 6.0 had most of its problems with 2003-2004. Not saying there was not problems with the 05-07s but it was far less. When I had mine the motor was not the issue. I know of many guys that still have 6.0s and they have not had any issues and they get run hard.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The issues with 6.0 are well known but relatively easy to fix and once fixed usually will not reoccur. Once they have been "bulletproofed" they are a very good motor.

:popcorn2

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please excuse my ignorance, but what are the common issues? Injectors is one, others?? What are the fixes that "bullet proof" these?

·
Registered
34 Posts
O5 F550 6.0 wrecker bullet proof fix 12v common rail Cummins haven't had a lick of problems since...:wink
HAHA!
That's Great!
The only way to bullet proof a Ford 6.0
TGP

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
HAHA!
That's Great!
The only way to bullet proof a Ford 6.0TGP

:rolleyes:

There is a guy from Grand Rapids that thought the same way...........................till he blew up the Cummins.

·
Registered
34 Posts

There is a guy from Grand Rapids that thought the same way...........................till he blew up the Cummins.
Oh yes, they will all "blow up" sooner or later.
Especially if "Bombed"! So I guess I'm lucky, although all my Cummins engines are stock.
The 6BTA I installed in my 84 K 30 back in 1990 has well over 350,000 miles on it and runs strong. Only problem a couple of IP's(VE type) over the years.
In fact all my Cummins are very high mileage.
I did manage to accumulate 190,000 miles on 2001 Ford(Navistar) 7.3 before I turned it in. which btw is a decent engine,to bad they had to dump them for the EPA Regs.

Six in a Row Make It Go!
TGP

·
Registered
432 Posts
I haven't been on here in awhile. but 6.0 bullet proof the head bolts are a week link causing the head gaskets to fail. The EGR cooler is a poor design. It should be deleted the ficm causes problems on 90 % of them. there is a couple electric sensors that will cause headaches . But I had 2 and after you deal with the egrs or do a delete kit most of the time that fixed a lot of the problems.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you. On the trucks that have a head gasket failure, does a new gasket and bolts usually complete the repair? or is it necessary to machine the head?

·
Tileman's Boys
1,094 Posts

That's what happens when you use a non marine grade motor for that application.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I myself recently considered buying a new car for work. I considered the option of a car with gas and settled on a Ford E450 gas. If you are considering an option with a diesel engine I can recommend Engine - 6.7L Power Stroke V8 Turbo Diesel engine, Wheels - 19.5" Forged Polished Aluminum, 225/70Rx19.5G BSW A/S, Transmission - TorqShift Heavy-Duty 6-speed SelectShift Automatic the site https:// www.wallworktrucks.com/buy-new-2020-ford-f550-xl-north-dakota_vid_6923053
At least I liked it and it was comfortable.
He might have purchased a truck already in the last 7 years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.