Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I bumped into one of my brothers friends today, he stopped in the shop to say whats up and see how everyone was doing. We see him pass by quite often but never get a chance to actually exchange words. He does alot of snowplowing and has salters on each truck also. He bought 3 new trucks, all Ford Super Dutys, and has a Fisher V plow on each one. He couldnt say enough good about the V plow. He said he will NEVER plow with a straight blade again. I have seen one of his new trucks, F350, with a Fisher V plow a few weeks ago when the snow was flying, but we didnt get a chance to talk. Today when he stopped by he had his Dodge 2500 CTD with him. That truck is a few years old and has a Western 8' UniMount Pro Plow on it. He said he loves the Western plow, but wants it off there, he wants his whole fleet to have nothing but V plows. He also commented on how much he loved the FishStick and said how he will never use a joystick again. It was cool to talk plows and stuff with this particular guy, even though thats not really the reason he came by. :D I just thought I would post this positive info about Fishers products since he isnt here to do so. :) Mike :)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I can understand his enthusiasm about these plows, they are very efficient and so far I've had good luck with mine for the most part. If I had my choice (and fortunately I do) I think a mix of plow types is best to maximize your strengths. V's do very well in tight spots or in deep snow but aren't quite as efficient as straights in the big lots.

·
Registered
719 Posts
JD PLower

I have to disagree, having run both V"s and straight blades, parking lots are where the V really out shines a straight blade. it can cut your time in half. The scoop position is what it's all about, the V will carry and roll an awesome amount of snow, plus stack it higher then a straight blade ( again always stack in the scoop position, it's like pushing the snow up in a pile with your hands cupped), if the V has a weakness it casting to the side at speed, the bubble in the middle tends to make the snow fly up. I would only consider a straight blade if all I was doing were driveways or roads where the blade was always angled, and the snowfalls were light, and it never drifted.plowing!

Bill

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Bill we push larger lots to one side or the other (similar to doing loops around a building) so a v is not as efficient in doing this since as you mentioned it has an "obstacle" in the middle of the blade . When pushing all snow to one particular area a v plow is much better than an old style straight blade, and in fact there is no comparison between the two . BTW when I say straight blade I was reffering to a Blizzard and not a standard blade since we'll be converting to one or the other fairly soon, sorry for the confusion.

For me there isn't one plow I would own and say that "this plow is the only plow I'll ever need" or "this plow can do it all", I haven't seen that plow yet. If I come across one I'll be sure to post about it though :shades .

·
Registered
905 Posts
JD PLOWER said:

For me there isn't one plow I would own and say that "this plow is the only plow I'll ever need" or "this plow can do it all", I haven't seen that plow yet. If I come across one I'll be sure to post about it though :shades .
Maybe i'll start working on a "Fishard" or a Blizsher" a V plow with expandable wings:D

·
Registered
908 Posts
Let me know when you get it working and in production, we'll set up a dealership at the shop here. You have to make sure one part of the deal is that i will have to come there for a week for training every year:drinkup

·
Registered
905 Posts
Crash935 said:
part of the deal is that i will have to come there for a week for training every year:drinkup
2 weeks,one week to train and another to recover:drinkup :D ,probably gonna be a bi-annual thing also,lot of bugs to work out:D

·
Registered
133 Posts
I personally love my Vplow but the only disadvatage that I see with them is the learning curve. We have problems finding good drivers to plow with the straight blade as it is, and then to try and teach them the Vplow I dont see them being super efficient with the Vplow or even being able to use it to its potential. I think they are great but I dont see my company having them on any more trucks. Just My two cents

www.schmidtlawncare.com

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
Former driver of mine has been back working PT. Well he plowed with someone else the first storm in Dec., and the guy had an EZV on his truck. My driver cut his plowing teeth on our MVPs so he felt right at home with the EZV. So while plowing he starts using the mode button, and using the plow to its full potential, the owner was riding with him, and was amazed how much faster my driver was. The owner didnt even know it had 3 modes on the controller.
Training is key.
Dino

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
ARC

A V-plow with moving wings . I think you are on to something . I wonder if someone would be working on that at this very moment

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just started using my 8'6' EZV this year. I found the learning curve wasn't too bad. Pretty much had the control down pat by the end of the first storm. Of course the first storm lasted two days. I did find that it saved alot of time vs. my 8' HD. We run two F250's and during the second storm the 8'6" V plowed at least 1/3 more than the 8' straight in the same amount of time.

·
Registered
719 Posts
JD

You need a Sidewing, adding mine to my V increased my efficenty by about the same as a V over a straight blade, especially if you're casting to one side, and you can windrow higher with a pickup with the wing then without. I now plow most of my acounts differently then I did without the Sidewing to take advantage of it. I timed myself last snowfall 10cm (4inches light snow) in a 1 1/4 acre mini mall lot with the Dodge 9.5 V and Sidewing. Have to carry the snow past the store entrances on the right for about 1/3 the lot, 20 min! total time not bad for 60.000 sq/ft of lot.

Also, being hockey season next itme you're at a game, watch the Zamboni clear the ice then think of the lots you're plowing, with a wing and a V blade you can cast to each side, or if your feeding a pusher, man what a difference.plowing! :burnout

1 - 12 of 12 Posts