Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spoke with my local Fisher dealer and he gave me a price of 1450 installed for a spreader model 1000 with a hich and varible speed control. He can in stall on the week of the 24th. I think it sounds good. What about you guys?

Ray

·
Registered
6,272 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Ray, I'd suggest re-considering a single stage tailgate model. I know the two stage is quite a bit more money, but in the long run it will pay off being able to spread bulk salt or sand.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have the single stage western and its a pain in the butt.I can run a mix of sand and salt but the sand has to be very dry.I go to home depot for my sand.. get the bagged all pupose sand and keep it in the garage. I got the spreader almost brand new for free so i cant complain.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mick said:
Ray, I'd suggest re-considering a single stage tailgate model. I know the two stage is quite a bit more money, but in the long run it will pay off being able to spread bulk salt or sand.
Mick,
I do know that a 2 stage would be better. I just dont want to spend the extra cash this year. I don't have many contracts requiring salt. My thinking was if I can get by this winter with the single stage on my new chevy and I start having more salt contracts next year buy a 2 stage or a v box for my dodge or hopefully I will buy another chevy. I dont run sand or sand mix just straight salt. Bagged and possible bulk. Do you think I would be ok with this thinking

Ray

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Ray, I don't think the single stage will handle bulk salt so you'd want to plan on using strictly bagged. Overall, the cost of getting the single stage for only one season won't be worth it. You're spending $1450 for what you'll make this season. Then perhaps you'll still have the expense of the two stage - you just delayed it a year. Perhaps you could focus on getting more/bigger salting jobs this year? I know I got a couple of large plowing accounts strictly because I had the Vbox. They told me when I started with them that they may not need the sander, but wanted to know it was available. I wound up making more from sanding that account than plowing it.

But, the bottom line is - It's your business. You know it better than I and you're the one who has to deal with the income and expense ledger.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Ray, I am in the same boat as you. I am having hard time justifying the cost of 2 stage spreader, but after speaking with a few members, I am leaning toward that path.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Sound like a good Deal...

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Ray like Mick said you know your business, and you are the only one who can make that type of call.If funds are short this year I would just hire out the sanding for this first year see how it go then try to build it up for next year then you go right into a v box for your dodge.I just think you will not get your expenses back by buying a single stage then upgrading to a 2 stage next year.Just my thinking unless you make so much that you keep it as a backup and get the big v.But the ingle really woun't spread the other stuff just dry bagged salt .

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Ray,

We used a single stage spreader last year, and ran bulk salt only. Sometimes it worked great, other times it was bridge up pretty good. It worked better with the drier material, and we stored our salt inside on a tarp, and was also covered with a tarp. I would think that you might be able to get by with out many problems if you used a single stage with a vibrator, we did not try that, but it should work.

John

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
If you only have a few sanding accounts the single stage will be fine just dont leave sand or salt in it for long period of time.I have had no problems with it clogging using a bagged salt/sand mix.If you plan on getting more accounts definetly go with a two stage.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Model 1000 is for bagged salt only. You are only asking for trouble if you put anything else in it. I know cost is a big issue but i don't want my ears ringing at 3:00AM when the bulk salt or sand is bridging in the hopper. The SC2 as some mentioned is probally the best spreader we make. You can spread just about anything(believe me i here some pretty scarey stories of what some people will do to save a buck) that will fit in the hopper. Of course the only thing we recommend are ice control products. These units are pretty much bullet proof. Come to think of it i don't think i have ever had to warranty one other than an a motor once in a while.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts