Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again, as in previous years, Fisher would like to host a discussion of their products here. Replies will be direct from FISHER. Our host is Brian Simmons. PLEASE KEEP THIS DISCUSSION PROFESSIONAL.

Thanks guys, and thanks Fisher!

~Chuck

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Welcome back Brian not really a question just a thank you to you and John Murphy for the help you gave me last year with the XLS i hope sales for this Jewel pick up it worked a big winter up here and was Rock solid...

Thanks again....

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Another very satisfied XLS owner checking in too.

Thanks for doing this again Fisher & Brian.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks guys for your kind words. I will always try to help when I can. I'm glad the XLS is working out good for the both of you.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Brian were there any changes or updates made to the XLS for this season?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hey Brian,was gonna call with this one but maybe posting will help others.
1 year old Extreme V,hook the battery cable up motor runs and theres even pressure on the lift cylinder,swapped solenoids,same results,the controll light is blinking but it will do this with the controll unplugged.Connections all look good as well as grounds,my guess at this point is the plow module?You ban unhook the B harness on the module and keep it from running which leads me to believe module?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Brian were there any changes or updates made to the XLS for this season?

We are always looking to improve our product, but as of right now there are no planned changes or updates for the 2008/2009 season. The product line performed great last year and we will continue to Mfg. in it's current state.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey Brian,was gonna call with this one but maybe posting will help others.
1 year old Extreme V,hook the battery cable up motor runs and theres even pressure on the lift cylinder,swapped solenoids,same results,the controll light is blinking but it will do this with the controll unplugged.Connections all look good as well as grounds,my guess at this point is the plow module?You ban unhook the B harness on the module and keep it from running which leads me to believe module?

Arc Burn,

It has to be the module. The controller sends the digital signal to the module and the module decodes the signal and applies ground to the appropriate solenoids. If this is all happening with the control unplugged the module needs to be replaced. If it's anything other than that I would like you to contact me and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Arc Burn,

It has to be the module. The controller sends the digital signal to the module and the module decodes the signal and applies ground to the appropriate solenoids. If this is all happening with the control unplugged the module needs to be replaced. If it's anything other than that I would like you to contact me and we'll go from there.
Controll is unplugged,will be in touch if this is not it,Thanks

Don

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
brian does fisher make a backdrag blade?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
rubber snow deflector on extreme V

Brian, on my easy V's the snow deflectors overlap quite a bit in the straight position. In V position they bascally touch. They have never given a problem.

Why does the extreme V have a huge gap between the deflectors? Snow coming up the center goes straight to the windshield. Not a problem on driveways but when you do a mile of road it's a serious problem. I'd instantly buy a set that overlaps. Will they be available? I'll pre-order right now!

Thanks for doing this forum, I do love my extreme V stainless and won't consider anything else at this time.

Another improvement would be to allow for sharper V, i.e. more acute angle which is very important in heavy snow.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Brian, on my easy V's the snow deflectors overlap quite a bit in the straight position. In V position they bascally touch. They have never given a problem.

Why does the extreme V have a huge gap between the deflectors? Snow coming up the center goes straight to the windshield. Not a problem on driveways but when you do a mile of road it's a serious problem. I'd instantly buy a set that overlaps. Will they be available? I'll pre-order right now!

Thanks for doing this forum, I do love my extreme V stainless and won't consider anything else at this time.

Another improvement would be to allow for sharper V, i.e. more acute angle which is very important in heavy snow.

In all honesty I am not sure why they were designed that way. I will make sure to bring this up with the product manager and see what the reasoning was. I am assuming that you would like to see them be similar to the EZ-V where they would just touch in the V position?

I have though the same to but there would have to be some trade offs. To have a sharper V, the center hinged areas would need to be extended further away from the truck. The wing tips still need to extend beyond the front tires so that your are not driving on the snow packing it down, So the only way to get a sharper V would be to extend the hinge and have longer wings. All of this adds weight further over the front axle. I am not saying it can't be done as I am no engineer, but it does not sound promising.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
sharper V

My easy V's are only 8.5 ft. I drive dually cab chassis'. The easy V is quite a bit sharper, 11 degrees if I remember correctly. Wheel clearance has never been a problem. My extreme V is 9.5 ft. Plenty of wheel clearance.

I think that only slight dimensional changes would have a large effect on the V angle. The sharpness is critical on deep wet snow, it is also a big help backing out on curves to get plow clearance, you can fold the plow up smaller.

I hope you will at least mention this concern to fisher's design team, I'm sure there will be a "next generation". I doubt they can test in all conditions, but we have to.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am trying to find out if there are mounts available for my 97 chevy 3500HD, 15K gvw, 2wd, 10 lug wheels. This truck is different from the normal 2500/3500 trucks. If mounts are available, which ones and are they different than western's.

Pics of the truck are below this thread, in one that I started.

thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
My easy V's are only 8.5 ft. I drive dually cab chassis'. The easy V is quite a bit sharper, 11 degrees if I remember correctly. Wheel clearance has never been a problem. My extreme V is 9.5 ft. Plenty of wheel clearance.

I think that only slight dimensional changes would have a large effect on the V angle. The sharpness is critical on deep wet snow, it is also a big help backing out on curves to get plow clearance, you can fold the plow up smaller.

I hope you will at least mention this concern to fisher's design team, I'm sure there will be a "next generation". I doubt they can test in all conditions, but we have to.
They are all keeping tabs on this thread throughout the week. :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am trying to find out if there are mounts available for my 97 chevy 3500HD, 15K gvw, 2wd, 10 lug wheels. This truck is different from the normal 2500/3500 trucks. If mounts are available, which ones and are they different than western's.

Pics of the truck are below this thread, in one that I started.

thanks
I believe in the other thread you stated it had leafsprings and if that is the case you will need to order a 7144 kit - http://www.fisherplows.com/pdf/29044.00_090105.pdf

The pics were not in the other thread but we offer two different kits for the 1997 c3500 depending on whether it had a straight axle or coil springs. These are different from Westerns mounts.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi brain, I have a 9.5 extreme V on my 07 dodge ram 3500 cc with a 160 amp alt. The plow drains the batt pretty bad . I had the alt and batt checked out and the dealer said they were perfect. I went to a fisher clinic saturday and they said every thing looked ok. I talked to another dealer at at a snow show in sept and he said it might be a bad motor or not grounded to the batt witch it is. What is your thought.

Thanks, scott

·
Registered
49 Posts
I believe in the other thread you stated it had leafsprings and if that is the case you will need to order a 7144 kit - http://www.fisherplows.com/pdf/29044.00_090105.pdf

The pics were not in the other thread but we offer two different kits for the 1997 c3500 depending on whether it had a straight axle or coil springs. These are different from Westerns mounts.

THANKS for the reply. It is a leaf spring, straight front axle. Pics are showing now, but you answered my questions.

thanks again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi brain, I have a 9.5 extreme V on my 07 dodge ram 3500 cc with a 160 amp alt. The plow drains the batt pretty bad . I had the alt and batt checked out and the dealer said they were perfect. I went to a fisher clinic saturday and they said every thing looked ok. I talked to another dealer at at a snow show in sept and he said it might be a bad motor or not grounded to the batt witch it is. What is your thought.

Thanks, scott
I would check the amp draw of the motor. An XtremeV on relief should draw about 250amps. Anything in excess of this would indicated either a bad motor or ground. Verify the cables are tight on the motor and that the pins are making good contact where the plugs plug together. These pins are split and if they are fully collapsed you will not be getting full contact which will increase amp draw. Another thing you can check is the system pressure setting. It should be 2250PSI. An easy way to check other than teeing into the line with a pressure gauge is to reset the relief valve. On the backside on the Hyd. unit there are three coils, to the right you will see a recessed valve stem that take a standard screwdriver. Screw this in all the way and back it out counterclockwise 2-1/4 - 2-1/2. This will reset it to approx. 2250PSI. If the system is not running at full pressure the unit will struggle to lift the blade adding a longer cycle time with the motor engaged.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts