Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help; I live North of Boston. We just got over a foot of snow. I hooked up my "minute mount" last night - it only took me 2 hours this year! After I got it on the truck (F350) I couldn't lift nor turn the plow to the left. I am a weekend plower and my mechanical skills are mediocre at best. Here is some more information:

1. The motor makes noise; as if it is working.
2. When the plow is angled to the left - if I hit the control stic, the plow moves all the way to the right, but not up nor back to the left.
3. I loosened the hydraulic lines and am getting fluid coming out of only the line which is connected to the piston which moves the blade to the right. The other two lines (up and right) have hardly any fluid coming out of them when I try to use them.
4. The connection which has two connector pins had a short at one time and the pins are corroded, somewhat, however the motor does make noise when I move the joy sticks.
5. The joy stick activates the motor when I move it up, left and right, however, the motor does not activate when I push the joy stick down.

Am I in over my head? Should I wait until Monday and take it to a dealer?

Thanks very much.

Nic

·
Registered
908 Posts
which harness are you running? You mention a 2 prong plug, do you mean the battery cable? Do you have 2 or 3 plugs coming through the grill. if you have 2, one will be the batt with both the pos and grnd. the other should have 9 pins. If you have 3 plugs, check the female plug to make sure there is 3 pins, this controls plow functions.

We know the motor is running hopefully all the pins are in place, Can you borrow a joystick controller to rule out that yours is okay? The last thing to check is the S3 (4 way valve with blue wire), remove the cover on the coils (on plow), hold a small screw driver on the end of the valve with the blue wire while you have someone try and angle the plow, try pulling the srewdriver off the end of the valve, does it fell like it has magnetism? if not, its electrical and nor than likly in the grill connector, if so, the valve is probably stuck. If you remove the coil and then the valve you should be able to shift the valve by inserting a screwdriver in the end of the valve and pushing in. if it doesnt move try smacking the end of the valve on a hard surface a time or two.

Try those first and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Also make sure that you have ample di-electric grease on your connections. I let one of mine get low on grease one time and lost the electrical connection in my lights. I added some more to the connection and I was back in gear.

Jay

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I have used Fishers website trouble shooting downloads . Its great info easily accessable

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Darn Mouse!!!

First of all, I want to thank everyone who responded with great diagnostic assistance! THANK YOU! I am plowing again!!! (snow that is...)

Now, here's the post mortem: I filled the hydraulic chamber, sanded the contacts and cleaned all the pins, greased it all up with dielectric. I always heard the motor running even though the blade only moved to the right. Not left, up, nor down.

I made the mistake of assuming that if I heard the motor, the motor was working. Well, the motor was always working. I what I did not know was that the solenoid valves which opened and closed the chambers to fill the left and up motion terminals was driven electrically by the electrical connecor which I thought was for the lights! Doy! After further investigation, I found that a frigging mouse or some other varment chewed through the electric wire harnes and severed one of the contact leads! So, the motor was running, but the valves which regulate pressure were not opening!!!

Solution: changed the power cord and purchased some mouse traps for my garage!

Thanks again all:

Sweet plowing to all of you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts