Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a used Smith electric spreader on Sat. After struggling with that wonderful gas motor on the back of my old spreader during the cold snap this past week, all I can say is this thing is just awsome. Why anyone would want to mess with gas anymore is beyond me. One flip of a switch and its running.

Attachments

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
Excellent choice. Maybe some day the major manufacturers besides Smith will offer electric instead of having the "electric isn't powerful enough" attitude. I have heard that from more than one factory rep.....

I had the pleasure of dealing with a Briggs motor that liked to empty the fuel tank into the crank case regularly. Changing the carb (a shop did it, not me) didn't solve the problem....

Or the muffler vibrating off the motor, and melting through the spinner clutch wire in the middle of a storm....

Or the generator wire breaking off and not being able to start the salter because the battery is dead.....

OR an inexperienced operator flooding the motor when trying to start it, then killing the battery in the process... :soapbox

Yup, give me electric or hydraulic any day!

~Chuck

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Did it spread as at the same rates, width and speed as the gas?

I just found a Downeaster Dealer about a hour away. Had I found them in Oct. I would never had purchased the gas one.

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
The smiths spread the same width, but you have to slow down when spreading. With the gate 1/2 open, you travel at about 5 mph. With it wide open about 10 mph. That is with a mix on, with straight salt you can double those travel speeds.
Dino

·
Registered
413 Posts
I bought a Smith this year... and love it. I prefer to take it over a Ford 7000 with Henderson hydraulic spreader. Granted the Smith is in a one ton with Boss V plow, a versatile truck. But one of the real reasons is how easy the spreader is to operate. I like having one switch to throw, easier than engagin the PTO at a stop and then engaging the hydraulics. The electric can be turned on and off at any time. The motor does draw some amperage. Running the blower motor, lights, plow and spreader all at once are a bit much for the truck.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Lawnd Lad,

What size truck is that??

Do you think dual alts at 255 APMs would put out enough to keep it all running???

And what size spreader is that?

How much salt you get in that thing with the extentions?

That looks huge for a one ton truck but than again I have been puting 5 TONS in the dump on my F-450 and love it.

Can you post a picture of the control for that unit?

Anyone have a site for Smith or a dealer in the Chicago area?

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
Ron the size of the spreader is 1.75 cu yds, and then ext add about 1.5 yds to the capacity. I didnt want to spend the 600.00 for stainless ext, so I added a 2x8 to the top of mine. Works fine, painted silver it blends right in.
The control for the smith is a simple toggle switch. Thats it , nothing more. I have a 24" lead for my truck and I hold it in my hand. My 89 has the toggle mounted to the shifter, similar to a 2 speed rear axel in a bigger truck.
Lawn lads spreader is identical to Rays preader in the top pick except Lawn lad has the ext sides.
Dino

·
Registered
413 Posts
The truck is a 2000 GMC 3500 (12,000 GVW). I added to leaf springs last year to the truck. The truck handles a full load well, but prefers about 3/4 of a load or less.

As Dino said, they are the same spreaders (my spreader and Raymonds). 1.9 CY on the spreader and another 1 or so with the extensions. I hold a little over 3 CY heaped.

My spreader has the side extensions and the chute extension. I didn't have to get the chute extension, but I decided I wanted the spinner between 18" and 22" off the ground, not 36". I also added the strobe light (stainless 1/2" pipe bracket) and the 30" wide rubber flaps which use a strip of bent stainless to hold the rubber which is then sandwhiched between the side extensions and the spreader.

I'll post a picture of my switches in the truck. Two light switches, spreader control and dump truck bed all right by the gear shifter. Nice and easy to operate.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
So with the Smith Spreader it is either on or off and than has a feedgate to adjust?

I am really starting to lean toward a dump insert and spreader tailgate. I think those have two spead controls for the auger and spinner from Downeaster.

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
Yes just an on and off switch. However, there is a variable speed controller available as well. Now that Ray has a sith, we now have 3 in our fleet. IMO they are the best v box available. And being that we got Rays unit for only 2000.00, it may be the best of the three. LOL
Dino

1 - 10 of 10 Posts