Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok i finally got to use my shiny new 810,and the sidewing Jerre installed on my truck a little over a week ago. My initial impression of the setup is it is unbelievable. I knocked my route just about in 1/2.In commercial lots i think it is actually in 1/2.Residentials the gains were good,but not quite as impressive. I love both the wing,and the blizzard 810,both contributed to the increased production efficiency.
The 810 is incredible windrowing snow to one side,it actually took a while to get used to being able to take a full pass without spilling,I kept taking 1/2 a pass out of habit.I can overlap about 6" to 1 ft,and nothing spills,even when the windrow gets over a foot tall and real thick.We only had 2" of snow,but after 20 passes it gets deep,no problem for the blizzard,it als rolls the snow much better than the boss v did. In the scoop mode i honestly dont see any gains at all, I dont think the blizzard holds any more snow than the 9'2" although it may be a small amount,if any at all. I need to get used to the steel cuting edge again,it scrapes great,but im so used to Urethane i hit so hard once everything i he cab went flying,but nothing seemed to happen to the plow or truck.I had to reinstall my rear view mirror and pick up everything on the floor,and put it back on the seat. One thing is clear,I need a deflector real bad. Overall Im very happy with the plow,so far,and nothing happend to it at all,which is more than i could say about the boss it replaced.Also my stickers are still intact and perfect:D .
Now the sidewing plow,this thing is awesome. I now see why msmilligan is so happy with his.The wing just rocks, period.I changed the way i plowed one lot,and i did this parking lot that is approx 2 acres.It is open and flat,it usually took me 40-50 minutes in a 2" storm,with the boss.Today it took 22 minutes to plow,AND it lot hasnt looked this good in a long time,the v just wasnt cleaning pefectly ,the blizzard/sidewing didnt miss a bit of snow.This lot is on a busy main road,55mph speed limt,and cars fly,backing into the road is dangerous,and takes forever to find an opening to get out.Now i can take 2-3 pass at each entrance instead of 4-5. The roads i did today were taking 1 pass in and out,usually its 2,and now i can throw the snow further that never. Where my shop is the road coming in is a right of way,the one s die they dont maintain there trees very well,and they overhang a little, well not any more:D ,I used the sidewing to trim them back:D . I was LMAO as i looked back and see the overgrowth dissapearing. I would never put the truck that close to the edge before the wing. I had a couple of close calls with the wing,it takes some getting used to,I almost got a car,missed by inches,i got a frozen snowbank from december,it threw the rear of the truck sideways,very gently,and i just kept going. The wing blows back windrows very nicely it seems to spread the snow better than the front blade,too,maybe its the angle its working at. So overall I am very happy with both new plows. The only issue I had was my own fault the rear hose on the wings extending cylinder loosened up,so i lost some fluid,i caught it as i fueled up,and tightened it.I should have checked them before i went out. anyone thinking of buying a sidewing who is on the fence should take the plunge,Im so glad I did.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YES you did Chris,which is why i said its my fault:D .I knew you'd chime in and get me, LOL. As i seen it spewing fluid, I thought of your words,and chucked to myself,as i got the wrenches out of the truck to tighten it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Sounds good John. Did you mount it on your Dodge or a new truck? When you get a chance post some pics :cool: .
Eric

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
That sounds like a VERY wise business move John. I've been looking long and hard at the Blizzards, I think once the dealer support gets closer, my decision will be made.

Get any pictures during the trial run?? :D

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want to clarify that the problem i had was on the sidewing,not the blizzard,and it was my own fault,as we were trying to get done,it was late,we were helping Jerre,and Wyldman even said to me dont forget to go over the hoses again,and I didnt.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Great John I knew it would work for you. Hope you get a good 12" storm, you be amazed at how much snow it will move. Interesting your comment on backing into traffic, I posted the same thing last year on the other site, those few minutes saved really add up by the end of the day. The more you use it , the more ways you'll find to save time.plowing!

Bill

·
Registered
345 Posts
Glad to hear you're happy with your new setup John.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Sounds great John . Efficency is important :D . Gives you a big advantage over your competition . Talk it up with your customers , it will pay off .

·
Registered
150 Posts
The 810 is awsome isnt it? Im glad your happy with your new combo.:D

·
Registered
719 Posts
John

If you get a little time on the Sidewing, you should see if you can arrange with Jerre to try it with a Superior U-edge, especially if it gets to run in the bushes a lot:D , I found the U-edge really quiets the wing down especially doing roads where it's usually in the gravel, and is more forgiving hitting curbs etc. Oh is it still grey?:grinz

Bill

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hey John, sorry for not getting to your pm real fast, I saw this and decided to post here instead but I am just waiting on the brackets to be finished for the blizzards, a good friend of mine is tigging them together for me, my welder took a crap(blown board) I will let you know when I get the metal brackets in

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Now where have I heard that :confused: :D :burnout

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bill, I already have a U edge for it.When i ordered it from Jerre, he asked which i wanted so i was like U edge.I didnt know i was still getting the steel one too at the time.I will be putting it on shortly.I LOVE running the wing in the bushes:D . 80% of the plow is still grey,the other 20% is black for some reason:confused: .:D .It was all grey til i did a little smoke show at the course with it,and I realized to late that i just made a mess of my wing plow. Oh i forgot to mention one of the best side effects of the wing on a twin turbo diesel is the 5" pipe exits next to the wing,so the side wing acts as an amplifier,deflecting beautiful exhaust/twin turbo whine back towards the truck all the time,just like when your riding next to a building,So if you see a guy in the middle if august in NY with his sidewing plow on for no reason its probably me just listening to the turbo whine:D .
Nate let me know when the deflectors are made up,im still interested .
Chuck thank you,it exceeded my expectations to be honest with you.The wing is just awesome,so is the 810.I just sold the boss 9'2",so theres no going back now,not that id want to .

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
My side wing adventure comes next winter......

Glad to hear it has worked out for you, I would like to hear about the 12" storms.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
John,

Chris was right on the money with those hoses. I had to retighten one of mine after the first couple of nights. Remember that hitch we took off of my truck to test yours............It is still on the floor in the back of the shop when I needed it tonight. Would have made some Awesome videos tonight. We got drifting snow with a nice Ice crust on top. Had to cut it out and roll the first over nice and easy then come back and take extra passes cause I didn't have the hitch for the wing. I'll fix that when I get back to the shop.

You know the fun your having with the bushes is the same fun the state and muni's have with our mail boxes.:D

Glad to hear you got to put them to the test and thanks for the road trip.

Jerre

1 - 20 of 104 Posts