Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great first snow, seven of eight trucks out about
5:30 am stopped for lunch finished up around 1:30 pm Only had one small problem, o ring on angle cylinder started leaking about an hour after we got started. Changed fitting more oil, back on the road. Great first day out!

About 3" of snow, Wet and heavy, Road would freeze as soon as you plowed it. Lots of salt down.

O it fells so good to plow again!!!!!!!!

Tileman

·
Registered
850 Posts
Hmmm your day sounds better than my did..... at 7am my backplow wouldn't raise....still can't figure that one out,so I reversed the hoses to get it to raise.
3 driveways later my solenoid craps out and now I have no front plow (of course I was in the middle of plowing the driveway). So I stuck my handy dandy screwdriver in there to get it to raise and I welded the thing to the posts, that was pretty cool but I did get it to raise. Ever try to find plow parts on a sunday morning ?? I gave up looking at 9am and went over to my spare truck and stole it off that.
Back at it at 9:30 I rip the bolt out of the left cylinder..not a big deal so I just stuck a plow pin in it. 1/2 hr later I lose a plow pin and my spare one is already being used...so off to Napa I go. $100 later I have new bolts again,,plow pins and 4 solenoids. Needless to say the rest of the day went fine.

We ended up with about 7" by 2pm. I haven't been back out yet to do the commercials and see what new snow has fallen since.

Maybe next year i'll spend more time preparing for snow and less time hunting NOT:D

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Wow, EarthScapes, thats some day you had, lol! The only thing that happened to my truck today was the wiper motor quit working for a little while then started working again. :confused: I got all done plowing, and I took a ride down the street to the Wendys for a number 2 to go. :D As Im sitting in the drivethrough, I go to turn the wipers on and nothing. I try low, high, and the intermittant position, nothing. I try pushing it so it sprays the washer, nothing. Hmm Im thinking, wiper motor went bad, fuse popped or the wiper part of the turn signal switch burnt out. I keep trying all the speeds as Im banging on the stalk and steering wheel, still nothing. I try adjusting the tilt column up and down as Im messing with the wiper switch still nothing. Im like how can this be, the wiper motor gave up on all the speeds?? Last time I replaced the wiper motor, all that was bad with it was high speed wouldnt work. I pop the hood to give the wiper motor a whack. I opened the hood, but before I started to give the wiper motor a "quick slap", I realized I didnt leave it in the on position. I shut the driver door and reached in through the open driver window to turn it on, and voila, it now worked on all the speeds! The slam of the truck door must have gave the wiper motor a good enough wiggle and it started working again. Cheap ass replacement, I bought a good one so I thought. I put that motor in there last winter!! It works beautiful as of right now, but Im sure it will act up again. Hope you enjoyed my story. :D Mike :D

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Mike 97 ss

You need to replace the cover on the wiper motor the three screws come off and you pull it off thats your wiper motor circiut board i change tons of them on chevy trucks also just a fyi gm has a recall on certain years for free replacement

·
Registered
31 Posts
We had about 4 inches of snow by Sunday morning. I dropped the plow at the first site at 9:30 and was finished at 3:15. I have been having trouble with the brakes on my 1988 K2500 - feels like one of the wheels were seizing when you apply the brakes and sat stationary for a while. I replaced the calipers Friday night (thought they were the culprit) and near the end of my route the brake idiot light came on. Couldn't find any problems and the pedal felt OK so I finished without issue. I bought a new master cylinder and rear wheel cylinders. Hope this resolves the problem. I'll be working on that today. The old trusty Meyer plow held up just fine.

If the forecast holds we'll have snow on Wednesday

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sunday moring 3", 1st place no problem, 2nd place broken spring, pump motor took a crap, strobe wire broke by cigg apapter. Found a new motor at Car Quest also a spring, replaced everything and went back at it. Glad that's all over with on the 1st time out this year. All in a day's fun, huh? Brass bushing went out on the shaft on the motor, get a new one and have an extra motor. not a complete loss.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same Prob. here mike

Mike 97 SS said:
The only thing that happened to my truck today was the wiper motor quit working for a little while then started working again. :confused:

Mike I have the same problem with my 1994 K2500. I took it to the mechanics and the told me that the wipers were doing this because the steering column was "falling apart". What they said is because I use my tilt often that parts were starting to break and causing there to be a short. The mechanic said that it's cheaper to replace the column then it is to repair. So I was able to find a column in Ohio for $240. Just got here today and will be putting it in in a couple of days.

Hope that this helps, I just hope that this takes care of the problem for me. I'll let you know. Also, if you set the steering wheel in one spot and don't move it, this will temporarily take care of the wipers not working.

Aaron

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
ARRON............Before you pull that steering column..
Pull off the wiper motor cover.......Check the solder
joints with a mag. glass.

They might be cracked....thus causing part time wipers.
A simple solder and a iron to shmoo them into shape.

Even better call GM with your VIN#. Your truck might be
under the recall freebie ! A girl that works for me has thesame prob. I called GM and her 95 was listed so she got
a free fix!.....geo

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Tileman,
Congrats on breaking in the equipment for the new season!! Glad to hear it was a good storm.

Earthscapes,
Sorry to hear about the rough day, but at least they weren't major losses.

·
Registered
21 Posts
sonjaab

Sonjaab.....Thanks for the info, I'll check the conection in the morning. It would be great if that was the problem, if it is, I hope the salvage yard will take back the column that I already got from them yesterday... I guess I should have asked everyone about this prob. before I ordered the column...LOL. I actually contacted GM once before to check for recalls. They said that the only ones were for the seatbelts. I still need to get in to get those taken care of. I'll contact them again just to see if there is anymore recalls.

Thanks......Aaron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.