Snowplow Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Manual fill right now, but already see that having on board air system would be the hot set up.
Dino
It is hot, had on in the Chevy, But it is pricy!

·
Registered
150 Posts
My Opinion

Hey Guys!!!

I have been down both roads and honestly I think just changing the springs is the way to go, If you have read any of my posts you already know I run the crap out of my trucks and over load them and just plain beat them, I ran air bags in the rear in my dodge 3500 and honestly don't think it helped that much, sure it leveled the truck when I had a small load but mine were hooked together so when you leaned the truck the air would transfer from one side or the other. I believe in springs, I use to get into rock crawling and off road buggies and we had air chocks, nitro shocks and springs. I got the most from springs and the shocks just helped keep it level in off camber situations. I have added a new set of leafs in my 97 dodge 3500 and they are BIG, as in 12,000lb capability BIG w/helpers. I love them and in the front I ran the 3300lb coils. This truck may drop an 1" with a western 8.6 with custom 1/4" thick wings. the plow is 11' w/wings and weighs much more than any western you'll see, I have a few repairs on it too which ads to the weight :)
I would say Springs but I spent much more than 600 bucks getting custom packs made and the coils came from Dodge

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Figure you would have 300$ in just shocks and timbrens......

Wonder how well the shocks mounts would hold up though? Be real nice to have a comressor to run em though. With these shocks how long will they stay aired up were you set em? They leak at all in the real world getting use?

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
Upper shock mnts I dont think will be an issue. They are real stout, and they dont see alot of movement.
I didnt lose any air last night in the system while running around with the plow, but it didnt see many up down cycles.
Would have loved to been able to change springs to a higher rated torsion bar, but the ption just isnt there. This seems to be the best all around system.
Dino

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Hey Guys!!!

I have been down both roads and honestly I think just changing the springs is the way to go, If you have read any of my posts you already know I run the crap out of my trucks and over load them and just plain beat them, I ran air bags in the rear in my dodge 3500 and honestly don't think it helped that much, sure it leveled the truck when I had a small load but mine were hooked together so when you leaned the truck the air would transfer from one side or the other. I believe in springs, I use to get into rock crawling and off road buggies and we had air chocks, nitro shocks and springs. I got the most from springs and the shocks just helped keep it level in off camber situations. I have added a new set of leafs in my 97 dodge 3500 and they are BIG, as in 12,000lb capability BIG w/helpers. I love them and in the front I ran the 3300lb coils. This truck may drop an 1" with a western 8.6 with custom 1/4" thick wings. the plow is 11' w/wings and weighs much more than any western you'll see, I have a few repairs on it too which ads to the weight :)
I would say Springs but I spent much more than 600 bucks getting custom packs made and the coils came from Dodge

OK dude us whores need pics!

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Nice, Let me know how they work out with the 8611pl.

I am planning on putting some rear bags on my 3500. Loaded with salt even for an hour it seems a little to much for her. I guess I am used to the F450.

I may put these shocks on the front also.....thinking about it.:rolleyes:

oh by the way.....I am figuring that you are taking the pics with your phone. Change the settings (to less fine pic) and you probably won't have to reasize them. After I did I never have to resize.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - SPONSOR
2,184 Posts
Nice, Let me know how they work out with the 8611pl.

I am planning on putting some rear bags on my 3500. Loaded with salt even for an hour it seems a little to much for her. I guess I am used to the F450.

I may put these shocks on the front also.....thinking about it.:rolleyes:

oh by the way.....I am figuring that you are taking the pics with your phone. Change the settings (to less fine pic) and you probably won't have to reasize them. After I did I never have to resize.
Matt
Why not just put on a set of timbrens? you won't need anymore than that. I run an 8 foot Stainless spreader with a 3X6X3/16 steel tube frame in mine FULL of Magic and I am just touching the helpers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got he air over gas shocks in, and pretty easy install overall. One note, after collapsing the shock so you get the unit to fit. Use some tie wraps to hold the shock in the collapsed position. We installed the unit, cut the tie wraps and bolted the unit top and bottom. We ran the air line and put the air to it leaked like a sieve. Thought I had a bad unit, so we removed the unit and bench tested it, no problems, worked great. Reinstalled, and had the same issue when we put the air to it again. Removed once again and bench tested, again worked fine. Seems that the unit got slightly tweaked when installing the bottom bolt, enough to cause the air bag to lose its seat.
So when installed the last time, we attached the air line to the unit before we cut the tie wraps. Put about 10-15 psi to help east the bag against the shock. Cut the wraps, bolt it up and worked like a charm.
I have the pics of the install. I will forward them to Chuck, and I am sure he post them here.
When I mount the plow in the am, I will get some pics of how the front end looks with the plow at different PSI settings.
Dino
i had the exact same problem as you drescribed installing mine last week!!! haha. i was about to go crazy, i got mine from a guy used for $300 shipped, which was a steal. one worked fine, the second i had to take off twice and bench test cause it was leaking air after i installed each time. but i got it right eventually.

oh, and if you're running a heavy plow on the GM i'd say they're a must! i barely had enough front end height before with my dually diesel. put timbrens on 800lbs of balast and it was marginal. with the air shocks at around 75-80psi the front end sits and extra inch or two up with the plow up in the air. i love it!!! just got in from my first snow fall with this new rig setup and i couldn't be happier. the airbags made the ride alot softer as well cruising down some bumpy roads.

i dont know the $600 prices, geeze... i found them on summit racing's page for $500. even if i didn't get as good of a deal as i did for $300, I would drop the $500 for them after seeing how much of a difference they made for my setup. especially when their aren't that many options for a GM dually out there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
one more thing i remembered for the install. the last time i took the one back off, it was still leaking air around the top nut because the red bushing weren't lined up exactly right. they act as part of the air seal for the top end of the unit. as long as you do the steps right the first time through, it a rather easy install i thought, would have been an hour or less with hand tools jack stands, and a socket set ( depending how elaborate you want to get for your airline routing locations too though...)

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Matt
Why not just put on a set of timbrens? you won't need anymore than that. I run an 8 foot Stainless spreader with a 3X6X3/16 steel tube frame in mine FULL of Magic and I am just touching the helpers.

Because for what AW Direct wants for the timbrens I can get Air bags and have control. I actually got a price for The airbags from my Truck Accessory dealer for about $50 less than AWDirect.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Matt
Michigan Truck Spring sells Timbrens for 175 shipped Free
Thanks John, I think I will would like the option for a few buck more. Plus then I have an Aux Air tank for flats on machines and maybe an airhorn:eek::p

21 - 40 of 44 Posts