Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Firestone Level-Rite Air Over Shock System

Firestone Level-Rite Air Spring Plus Damper will:

* Level the front end in variable load applications - Snowplow, slide-in camper, grille guard.
* Allow control of front ground clearance - off-roading.
* Improve vehicle control and stability by maintaining constant tire, driveline and headlight alignment.
* Reduce bottoming - protective air cushion softens contact between the frame and suspension.
* Reduce suspension fatigue - prevent factory torsion bars from sagging under repeated or constant load.

Anybody going to get a set, I'm wondering if it would really help the load on the front? :shades

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
How much? Wonder if it would work well with a snowplow like they probably say it does. Now I can put that 8611 low pro on my truck right Chris?

A friend wants air on his F550 for the 8611 which he says is too heavy for his truck so its air and plasma. :zoinks :beatsme

Dave.

·
Registered
674 Posts
So long as they're priced right I would have no problem running a set to see how they perform. Got spoiled with the coil front end on my old truck and air bags I installed inside for a quick/cheap fix that worked wonders over the stupid timmbrnes I had...might as well just welded the suspension solid with those:(

Heck, if the ride is'nt real bad aired/un aired I think the may be a nice accessory front and rear if they go that route with them. (just thinking a rear kit would distract from their bagged system and may possibly cause a liablity issue since overloading and fixing with air shocks might not hold upto the wear and tear?)

Edit, wow, they like those shocks:eek:

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I was looking to put airbags on my HD but couldn't find them and was told they didn't make them. I have a air ride system for the rear already. I ended up putting timbrens on insted. If the cost ($550) was a little more reasonable I would seriously consider it. I would definately consider it if it was snowing here like in CO!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Air bags

You have to build a air bag system for your truck like I did It's not that hard and what a differance in the ride and yes you can hang a 8611 LP on a F350:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
That's an innovative idea, really. As long as the shock mounts are sturdy enough to help support a load it would seem that they would work well.

They are proud of them though, aren't they?:cash

·
Registered
674 Posts
JohnnyU said:
They are proud of them though, aren't they?:cash
Oh yeah they are:scramble I'm not too afwul concerned with my F350, the western V only drops it exactly 7/8" of an inch with snow on the blades, so it handles it just fine. If it were a few hundred cheaper I would probably get some just for the cool new thing factor, but I cant see in my case ever justifying that much dinero for an item I dont need, which I 'm sure is the case with most of us since there are cheaper remedies out there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Air Shocks

I used to have an old Jeep Wagoner that I used to plow with. This ws back in the 70s and I used a set of Garbiel Air Shocks on the front to compensate for the weight of the plow.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - SPONSOR
2,184 Posts
I wonder if these are really any different than the monroe air shocks we used in the 70's besides being gas shocks and not hydraulic?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Firestone Level-Rite

I have been looking into something that will help the front end with the snow plow attached. This seems to be the best option so far for me. I like the idea because I also want to add air springs to the rear for towing and heavy loads in the bed and they would pair up nicely. The big drawback is the price... WOW, roughly $599.00 just for the front. If they come down in price I would buy them for sure but unless someone has tried them and can't live without them, I think I'll wait.

Rancho makes a "Coil-Over" that they say will level the front end for about half the price. My only question would be if they can take the extra 800lbs. with my 8' Boss plow attached and perform better than the stock shocks.

I would like to hear any feedback on either product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Firestone Level-Rite

I have been looking into something that will help the front end with the snowplow attached. This seems to be the best option so far for me. I like the idea because I also want to add air springs to the rear for towing and heavy loads in the bed and they would pair up nicely. The big drawback is the price... WOW, roughly $599.00 just for the front. If they come down in price I would buy them for sure but unless someone has tried them and can't live without them, I think I'll wait.

Rancho makes a "Coil-Over" that they say will level the front end for about half the price. My only question would be if they could take the extra 800lbs. with my 8' Boss plow attached and perform better than the stock shocks.

I would like to hear any feedback on either product.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Well, the site liked above was $527, not $599- but let's not split hairs.

How much are bilstein shocks? 75 bucks a piece? So that's $150. Then throw in some airbags for the front... 'cept you can't get any. The rears 'bags are in the neighborhood of $250, so if bags *were* available for the front, you'd still be into the deal for at least $400, and probably more considering the amount of engineering required to get airbags on the front of a car- i mean- uh... Gm-Easy-for-soccer-moms-to-get-into truck.

So for $527 you've got a bolt-on solution that gives you variable added load capacity, a great set of shocks and you get to keep the carlike ride of the IFS. If I were still running chebbies and hadn't yet changed the shocks, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
$550 is still a lot for 2 shocks. I already have a firestone air ride system with compresser on my truck for the rear air bags, so it would be a pretty cool solution. But last year I put timbrens on the front and after I put my back blade on the tuck handled the 810 much better. Balanced the truck out much better.

0223071728 (Small).jpg

0401071058 (Small).jpg

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Look on the diesel place in suspension, guy were talking about buying from an internet vendor and if you bought three or more they were under 400 bucks

·
Registered
3 Posts
To bad they are only made for chevy and GMC. Why not ford.
I just checked out that web site and bought a set of hd coils for my 06 f-350 3,500lbs each for a total 7,000lbs.

1000lbs over my stock coils.For under $200 bucks including shipping Im gonna give them a try.

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
I am installing mine today. I will grab pics, and report how they hold the plow.
Chcuck stay tuned for resizing.
Dino

·
Registered
494 Posts
I just checked out that web site and bought a set of hd coils for my 06 f-350 3,500lbs each for a total 7,000lbs.

1000lbs over my stock coils.For under $200 bucks including shipping Im gonna give them a try.
I installed the #6500 springs on my 2005 F250 and love how it rides with or without the plow. I was going to install the #4800 but got a great deal on the #6500 springs.

Here is the link to my thread about installing the springs

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
I got he air over gas shocks in, and pretty easy install overall. One note, after collapsing the shock so you get the unit to fit. Use some tie wraps to hold the shock in the collapsed position. We installed the unit, cut the tie wraps and bolted the unit top and bottom. We ran the air line and put the air to it leaked like a sieve. Thought I had a bad unit, so we removed the unit and bench tested it, no problems, worked great. Reinstalled, and had the same issue when we put the air to it again. Removed once again and bench tested, again worked fine. Seems that the unit got slightly tweaked when installing the bottom bolt, enough to cause the air bag to lose its seat.
So when installed the last time, we attached the air line to the unit before we cut the tie wraps. Put about 10-15 psi to help east the bag against the shock. Cut the wraps, bolt it up and worked like a charm.
I have the pics of the install. I will forward them to Chuck, and I am sure he post them here.
When I mount the plow in the am, I will get some pics of how the front end looks with the plow at different PSI settings.
Dino

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I got he air over gas shocks in, and pretty easy install overall. One note, after collapsing the shock so you get the unit to fit. Use some tie wraps to hold the shock in the collapsed position. We installed the unit, cut the tie wraps and bolted the unit top and bottom. We ran the air line and put the air to it leaked like a sieve. Thought I had a bad unit, so we removed the unit and bench tested it, no problems, worked great. Reinstalled, and had the same issue when we put the air to it again. Removed once again and bench tested, again worked fine. Seems that the unit got slightly tweaked when installing the bottom bolt, enough to cause the air bag to lose its seat.
So when installed the last time, we attached the air line to the unit before we cut the tie wraps. Put about 10-15 psi to help east the bag against the shock. Cut the wraps, bolt it up and worked like a charm.
I have the pics of the install. I will forward them to Chuck, and I am sure he post them here.
When I mount the plow in the am, I will get some pics of how the front end looks with the plow at different PSI settings.
Dino

Dino, do you have a compressor or manual fill?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts