Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi This is my first post here or anywhere for that matter, but I could use a little profesional advice, and from what I have read so far, this is the place to get it. I've spent the last few months pouring over everything that I can find in order to make the best choice for a new plow. I've narrowed it down the Boss 8'2 poly V or the 8' western pro plus with wings. The advice I need is in regards to the pros and cons of both blades, which is more efficiant, and which will overall serve me better. It will be used for light to moderate comercial work with the possibility of some work in tight quarters. Both have established dealers up here with good reputations. Thank you in advance for any help that you can give.

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
Unless you need a v plow to break open drives and road ways, the 8' plow with wings will move more snow. However you will have to get out and install / uninstall the wings as needed.Still I would go the straight plow route with wings.
Welcome and enjoy the site.
Dino

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Hi, mattg and welcome to Snowplowing-Contractors.com. I would guess that you've got a 3/4 ton to put an 8' plow on. I'd agree with Dino on the straight plow with wings in your situation. One suggestion - put your location in your profile. In case you ask other type of questions, your location will often determine the effectiveness of any advise.

Like Dino said, the V will be better in a situation where you need to bust through drifts or deep snow. The wings will allow you to minimize runoff and push snow to another location. You might check into the cost of each, but I think the straight with wings would be less than the V.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. Now that you can see that I live in Superior Wi maybe that will help. We get anything from powder to wet heavy slop here (lots of slop). And if the wind is right the lake effect can be huge. You are also right in that I have a 3/4 ton dodge. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Hey Matt:
It really depends on your sites and what is expected as far as quality. The straight blade will move more snow with wings ( for wide open lots, its perfect). The v-blade will break threw drifts effortlessly, smoke the pants off a straight blade for cleanup (quality ???), it will also stack snow to some extent. The draw backs to the straight blade with wings removeing them to get into tight spots (islands, curbs driveways etc. ) V-blade's suck for backdraging, and dont seem to scrape as well as straight. Anyway hope this helps. What are you plowing with now? You have allready had had snow there right?
Todd

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just looking at getting back into the buisness. All of my previous experience has been with boss v's, so I admit that I'm leaning that way, however I like to keep my options open. Not much snow so far, but it sounds like a 7 incher will be moving in tonight. No worries by me. I don't plan on making the plunge till spring when the prices start to drop. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts