Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a disaster!

When they were forcasting snow and ice for 12/14, i had to get my 85' k-30 dump prepped for plowing/salting (i had plowed the week before without it).

No big deal, (yeah right), all i had to do was to weld 4 d-rings into the bed to lash down the v-box, drop it in, get it greased up and running, get a load of salt before the place closed at noon, mount the plow, and go through it to make sure everything is 100%.

well, i started at 7:30 am, I welded the d-rings onto the truck, then drove to one of my jobsites, where my salter was, and loaded it with my excavator, got back to my buddies shop and started wiring it up.(9:30 am).

to start things off i could'nt get the salter to run (no spark, V-box is 3 years old), after checking everything twice(11:30am), i had to get the salter loaded without having run it(real bad feeling). after another 2 hours of messing with it, the spark just appeared out of nowhere, finally got that up and running.(3:00pm).

i mounted the plow (meyer C-8.5), installed new markers and a rubber deflector, checked all the bolts, fluids, fittings, etc..( first time plowing with this truck)

By the time i was finished with everything, it was 11:30pm. went home to get some sleep. Started plowing on sunday, around 10:30am.

at about 12:00 noon, i was making some nice piles with the big blade, i went up into one, and kissed a curb on the way up, not a big deal, so i raised the plow and started backing up, turned my head, and could'nt see the plow. i got out of the truck and saw the moldboard dangling by the trip springs, i broke both pivots on the moldboard/sector. (i did oil them up, too bad they were already seized). i remember reading this was a common problem, i should've checked them.

i still used it for salting the next morning.(with the plow off, of course)

i picked up new sleeves and pins, just got to weld them on.

sorry for such a long post, i thought some of you guys could relate. i'll save my jeep fiasco, for some other time.(same day):headwall

·
Registered
905 Posts
LOL! And i thought i was the only one:D First storm-second driveway-BIG tree,Trashed rear bumper,tail light,crumpled rear quarter panel on the box,Ya know what?I never even got out to look,just shook my head and kept on :burnout .
My first plowing incident(besides getting stuck!) in over 8 years even after getting rid of 75% of last years jobs:p

·
Registered
75 Posts
First storm, first drive. Got out to help blower boy clear the snow from in front of the garage. Locked my keys in the truck:eek:

My truck is running sitting in front of this garage and I'm :headwall .

Broke in through rear sliding window. Had to half undress to fit through the window to reach the door lock button. (ext cab).

Knew it was going to be a long day.

Mark

·
Registered
610 Posts
PAUL
i dont know about the c8.5
but on my c-8 the pins slid in and arent welded
it take a lot of heat and an air hammer to remove the old ones
the new ones slid in, the cotter pin on one end holds it in place
the new ones come with grease fittings
my blade was hanging off after my second stop
thank god for the backup truck
john

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cardoctor,

you are correct, i already bought new pins and sleeves.

i think it will be faster to cut them off and weld the new ones on, than heating and hammering.

·
Registered
610 Posts
hey
if you weld them how can the blade trip
when you hit something?
john

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Part two

So after plowing (more like dragging) the 2 miles back to my buddies shop, i put the truck/plow inside the shop and jumped in my jeep to go catch up on my route.

i was plowing a church that i do, when my girlfriend elected me to drive her cousin to work, because i was close by. so i picked her up and started my voyage. well, i ended up crashing into a snow covered curb and blowing out the left front tire. now im really pissed.

so i get out and take the cover off the spare, well, its got a wheel lock, and i dont have a key for it! so after a little screaming, i get a pair of vice-grips out of my tool box, and i try to turn it. no luck.

so i take a 12oz ball pein i also have in my tool box, and start wacking the lock(trying to break the stud). after 60 or so wacks, i was able to turn it off with the vise grips.(i never knew i could throw so far)

after that mess, i was able to finish the day with no more problems.

what a day!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Murphy's law reigns supreme!:headwall
Hope the remainder of the season goes MUCH better.

·
Registered
163 Posts
"Locked my keys in the truck"

Way back in the 70's, I locked my keys in the car. Had a second set made up and have always carried a spare key in my pocket ever since then.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I do have a spare set. First storm of the season, kinda like buck fever. They were in the truck also.

I keep swearing I'm going to get another set made up for one of those magnetic holders to hide on the outside.

This was about the third time in a month that I locked them in there.

Maybe I'll have time to get another set made up today :rolleyes:

Mark

·
Registered
163 Posts
Stick the spare key in your wallet. Even if you have one of those "smart key" ignitions that requires a computer chip in the key, you can get a plain old flat metal key that will fit in your wallet, as all you would need it for is to unlock the door.

·
Registered
610 Posts
what happen if you leave your wallet in the truck
john

·
Registered
526 Posts
handyhaver said:
Got out to help blower boy clear the snow from in front of the garage. Locked my keys in the truck:eek:
I have my joystick-style plow controller mounted on the door, and one day a couple of years ago when I got out and closed the door it happened to bounce a little and hit the power locks button... locking me out ! Luckily, it happened when I was doing some prep work for the season and the window was down. Ever since that day, I always unlock that back sliding window when I am setting the truck up for plowing !!

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
Paul, I don't mean anything nasty by this, but I can look back at this and think the next time I'm having a bad day and recall you've had worse and made it through!:notworthy

That one will be tough to top, although our Upstate crew has had some tough ones too!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I feel for you Paul, been there done most of that LOL. Spent 2 - 14 hour days prepping for that first storm, because I had a big list & time set aside for the week AFTER the first one surprised us. Kinda figured a good 10 hour day would get us ready at least, if only limping into the storm. Told my wife after all that, now I'm way too tired to pull a long plow shift in another 8 hours. But you do what ya gotta do & get through it.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
One hell of a start to the season

Well, I thought everything was ready for snow here. Like Ol' Merle once sang,, WRONG!

Snow started 12/6 and rapidly built up. By the next morning things were rapidly getting out of control. Called my son to come in and grab a truck. He's in the foothills about 20 miles away and was SNOWED IN! Better than 2' on the ground there and couldn't move his truck more than a few feet on pretty well worn tires. I went up and plowed him out, he rode back with me and took my truck with the vee plow and I swapped into the S with both front and rear blades.

Partway through the day the S started getting a noise from underneath when it got into a heavy push. I tried to baby it and kept going.

Had a sub working his own truck and another driver in the other S truck and things were going pretty good.

Well into the night my regular truck started acting "funny" in reverse so my son brought it home and parked it.

The one I was driving was getting noisier.

Storm dropped well over 20" here in Milton, less in Burlington.

We finally got everything plowed and quit for the storm. That was by the end of the day on 12/8. Spent the next day cleaning up and catching up on sleep. Started calling around about transmission options for fixing the 3500. The week went by way too fast and stuff never got fixed/checked before the next weekend.

Over the weekend of 12/13-12/14 I mounted a plow for a buddy and watched (nervously) the forecast work up to snow starting Sunday afternoon and into the night. Had three subs lined up and two of my own trucks so I felt pretty good going in.

Called my son (subbing with his own truck this time) and another sub in at midnight. Third sub was due in at 4 AM, still looking pretty good. By 4 there was close to 18" down and still coming. My son tore a tire in the wee hours and had to run on a (bald) spare the rest of the fiasco. That cut his production badly in the 24" plus that we ended up with. Brought in another sub with a backhoe and kept digging.

Got dug out by Tuesday and saw the forecast for Wednesday,, 3-6 more overnight into Thursday. During the day Wednesday they kept dropping back on the expected amounts, which was fine by me.

Wednesday afternon a call came in fromt he home office of a drug store chain which has a branch here in town. Their contractor quit cold after doing part of the lot on Monday. Could/would I take them on. Told them I wold take care of them if we got snow that night but couldn't commit to the rest of the year until I had a chance to see about lining up more equipment.

Forecast was down to 2-4 and by 8 PM it had dropped about an inch and radar looked like it was almost over. Went to bed and rolled out at midnight to find 8" of wet snwo down and still coming heavy. S O B!!!!

Not enough sleep for the past 10 days so my judgement was pretty messed up. By now the noisy S was REALLY noisy so I sidelined it. No point calling my son, those tires are not gonna push this stuff. One sub I called in at midnight was committed elsewhere at 7 AM, so I ended up working 10" of hard pushing alone most of the day.

FINALLY through all this. I didn't throw in the towel like the drug store contractor did, but I considered it.

Yesterday I had to put a muffler on the 88 S, it had been getting loud and was obviously shot. What I didn't realize was that the wye pipe was broken as well. That's what was making it loud! As of this moment I have no trucks running 100%. My own yard is filled with the accumulations of the past three storms. I can hardly get into my shop to get tools.

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?

Here's the latest in how you work under a truck in the field. Luckily I had the excavator at the salt shed because I could not plow around it with a truck. Couldn't push with the backfill blade as it was too slick underneath for street pads to get a bite. I "shoveled" stuff out into piles which I could push off. Then I decided I was NOT going to crawl under the truck to change the muffler.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And i thought i was having a bad day!

Alan, i hope you put stands, blocking, or some cribbing under that truck, before you got under it.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Paul,

Nope, but I never had to get completely under it either. Besides, I thought it through pretty carefully. Weakest link was probably the hydraulics on the machine. Even a sudden failure of a hydraulic line wouldn't drop things very fast. Nothing in the rigging is wimpy, the strap is something like 18K and it's doubled. Hook point is a guard that is 1/2" plate welded to 2" tube going into the receiver which is not going anywhere without the truck breaking in pieces. Driving to the parts store to get the muffler was probably more of a risk than working partly under the truck.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Alan - Your post had me just about breaking out in a cold sweat. People who don't actually do this for a living have no idea...

Now you know why so many landscapers eventually get out of plowing entirely when they can afford to. Honestly, if I could, I probably would too. At least when things go wrong in lawn maintenance or landscaping (and they frequently do) you can usually throw in the towel and get back at it the next day.

Snowplowing is all RIGHT NOW!!!! and it's 24/7 all winter including holidays.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts