Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use a fee based weather service? If so how do you like it, what are the benifits and how much does it cost? Also does anyone know what services are out there? Thanks

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
DTN is probably the biggest most known of them. On a smaller scale from them, Gary Gray now offers a piad service that offers forecasts in between his daily forecasts, and he covers your area. Another company is Ion weather based in Morristown NJ, and they cover your area as well. www.ionweather.com I'm not sure if their forecasting is any good, but they do provide a good comprehnesive post storm report with snow totals. Those are the 3 that I know of, but there are more out there.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
A local network weatherman will provide an official snowfall totals for the season for $ 235/ season . I am not sure it is worth it . I guess customers would have a harder time challenging it . I am considering this because the local paper publishes snow fall amounts by there own observers and they are anything but accurate . it's like they measure halfway through storm then quit or let the snow settle for a day then finally measure .

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
"I am considering this because the local paper publishes snow fall amounts by there own observers and they are anything but accurate . it's like they measure halfway through storm then quit or let the snow settle for a day then finally measure ."

I have found this to be the case with NWS observers also. They are volunteers, so I guess we can't expect much more. I always considered volunteering but never did because of the not being able to actually take measurements during snow storms. But I have since scaled back a little, and I've also thought I could set up the snow measurement part of the weather sation at one of my accounts. So I may volunteer for that because I'm tired of reading these incorrect tallies.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
http://www.weatherworksinc.com/

Here is one I just got in the mail today. Says it's $189.00\yr per station. It's based in NJ & seems to cover PA, NJ, NY & CT. Those of you in these states should check out the 2003-2003 Season Report link for your state on their home page. Lots of good stuff posted there. They also offer a 10% discount to SIMA members.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Radar

I am not sure they snowfall totals are accurate on this site, but I do find the radar and other features really nice. And the price. Well thats FREE!

www.nws.noaa.gov

Use to have weatherbug, which was allright, but they just get their info at the nws.noaa.gov site anyway.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't had much luck with the fee based sites, so I think I'm going to stay with my local weather guy and order a Davis Vantage Pro home weather station. They go for around 400 bucks. My local guy is actually the weatherman on Fox29 and he's been pretty accurate the past two years. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Hey man! You started this thread asking for suggestions, yet you've already tried fee services?? Tell us which ones, & what the experiences were please??!! :huh

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BRL, I was refering to the ability to locate one that would work for me. The nearest I could find was Gary Grey, Mellinnum Weather, who was willing to do it for a charge but is based out of MD. Not withstanding he was far enough off on the last storm to make me wonder if a local guy would be better. What I will be able to tell you tomorrow, is how my new Davis Vantage Pro wireless is working. I ordered it tonight and it will be here in the AM:D

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Nice!! That's one I was considering, so I will be impatiently awaiting your review! I think the 2 we posted from NJ cover your area more so than Gary, so might be worth a look see. I have tracked Gary for 4 or so seasons now & he has the best record out of local, NWS & other free sources. Don't know about those paid services though, so can't compare.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.