Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure most of you are familiar with the switchover to narrowband by 2013. My understanding is that they are going from 25mhz to 12 mhz to make room for more frequencies. Well we have 9 mobiles and 4 portables, and only two are narrowband compatible so we are going to have to spend a ton of money to stay at the same level we are at now, eliminating our radio system is not an option.

My question is, will portable repeaters and portable radios be adequate for us? We have to be able to talk for 10-20 miles in the mountains. If it were feasible we could have a repeater in each end of town, as my Father lives in one end, and our shop is in the other. It would be nice to just have 3 or 4 portables and be able to maintain our same level of communication, so is it possible, or will we need to get all new radios?

Thanks !

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
You will have to replace the radios that can't narrow band. Once you do, you should, subject to tower location, terrain, sunspots, and a number of other factors, be able to communicate. There will be, or are now, some commercial and cellular options.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Is that a US thing or North America wide?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
It is a US thing... How much are you getting quoted for new radios?

I can produce coverage maps for you if you provide me a few details...if interested pm me your contact info.

What models of radios do you have? What frequencies are you using? I assume you are properly licensed?

Howard

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I need to update some of my radios. Our FD just went narrow band this summer, found that several of my radios were not compatable.

Working towards a repeater for my stuff, still looking at options. If I'm going to upgrade I may as well upgrade all the way.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Howard, thanks PM sent. I've been playing phone tag with our salesman, hopefully tomorrow I can get ahold of him and get some questions asked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts