Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 1994 F-600 5 speed tranny started making a thunking noise in 3rd gear, several weeks later, it started in all gears. Brought it in to a local truck shop and they said a bunch of gears were worn, and several were missing teeth. 168K miles on the truck. They quoted me $1700 to rebuild the tranny. Any opinions?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I rebuilt one once,and the synchros came apart and did some damage.It was not cheap to rebuild.

If it's too far gone,or you think that is a little expensive,take a look around at some of the heavy truck wreckers.They were a very common tranny,and they are usually pretty cheap.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it's done. Thanks for all the advice, I had to get the truck back in service, and told them to go ahead with the repairs. $1773 later, it's all rebuilt, new 3rd and 4th shafts, bearings, gears, etc. $900 on labor, the rest parts. It sure shifts nice!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris, thats all I thought of during the week it was down. Thankfully there was no ice or snow during that time, in fact the temps were in the 40's and 50's. Pretty unusual around here this time of year.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Boy ain't that the truth! You ever try welding on your back with salt/snow/water pouring off the truck, down your sleeves and neck............ brings back memories.:grinz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.