Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

This is my first Truck in my life that I have had an Automatic Trans. So I'm kind of clueless on maint. since I've only had experience on Manuals.

I have a 1999 F-250 SD with OD when I'm in 2nd Gear there is a rubbing sound but then when it shifts to 3rd its gone & only seems to happen in 2nd gear in 2wd & 4wd. I have checked the fluid & its level is fine, but not really pink? Should I take it in to Ford & have them do a fluid & filter change first before assuming that the Trans. going out.

I just got the truck in Aug. & it has 100m on it & really don't have the maint. history.

Any thought or opinions would be great.
Have a happy new year.

Chris

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Most likely will need a whole new transmission. Reason I say this? It only makes the noise in second gear and no other time, so that for sure tells you its the transmission and nothing else. No transmission shop will bother to take out that trans, with 100k miles on it and only fix whats wrong and put it back in. They are gonna wanna rebuild the whole unit once its out. You gotta keep in mind, the trans has 100k miles on it, its probably the original one. No sense in fixing just whats wrong and putting it all back together and then back in the truck. A week later maybe 1st gear will be making noise. We had a similar situation on a 1999 Chevy 2500 work van, but it was 1st gear on this one. When you drove away from a stop, there was this rubbing noise, like metal on metal, almost sounded like the rear brakes were grinding, which is what the customer thought. What he didnt realize was that the noise went away AS SOON AS the truck shifted into second gear. Trans was shot. They took it to the dealer where they bought it since they didnt own the van that long, they bought it used, and they pulled the whole unit out and put another one in. Done. Sorry this isnt the news you probably wanna hear. Oh, something else you said too, fluid is full, but not really pink? Brownish looking?? Changing the fluid and filter will do you absolutely no good, and probably hurt things more. Mike

·
Registered
620 Posts
The tranny in the F-250's are a problem. I know because we have three of them. The truck I drive (2001 F-250 PSD) had the tranny go at 37K miles. Ford replaced it with a remanfactured one under warranty. If you are going to keep the truck, a better tranny is available for about the same cost as a factory reman, from Brians Truck Shop in AK, or Suncoast in FL. They will ship you one for around $3000. Either one is bullet proof. Will last forever. Click here for more info.

Brians Truck Shop

·
Registered
85 Posts
Why don't you drop the pan, change the filter, and flush the fluid. I recommend the Lubeguard Mercron V addative(green cap). That way you can use Mercron fluid and the Lubeguard will bring it up to the Mercron V standard. You could instead use Mercron V fluid without the Lubeguard, but I have found that the Lubeguard helps stop slipping and shuddering.Remember that your truck uses Mercron v, not Mercron. I would try that before I went out and got a new tranny. 1st things 1st.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mike, I don't understand your advice. You are saying that a flush and filter would hurt things more! That is crazy. I have seen a flush and filter solve a lot of problems. You are already saying he should get a whole new rebuild. You also said that a flush and filter could mess things up worse. How can he get any worse than needing a complete rebuild? Transmissions are expensive(at least the last time I had 1 rebuilt it was), someone should always try easier cheaper solutions before going for a brand new replacement. imo

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I agree you should ALWAYS try the cheaper easier thing first, but in this case it will be a total waste of time. You take a transmission with 100k miles on it, with burnt fluid that isnt pink anymore, and flush it all out and fill it with new fluid, the new fluid will make it slip even more and totally wipe out the transmission. This was told to me by a good friend who is in the transmission business. Believe me, I wouldnt chime in here and give advice on something I didnt know what I was talking about. No good transmission shop will open up his trans with 100k miles on it and JUST fix that noisy condition he is having. They are gonna sell him the complete job or they wont touch it. A plugged transmission filter is not going to make second gear sound funny. Something in that transmission is worn out, thats why its making noise. All he can do is keep driving it the way it is with the noise until it goes altogether, then fix it, or put in another unit now. Ill be a monkeys uncle if he changes the fluid and filter and it solves his condition. Wyldman hasnt chimed in on this one yet, lets see what he thinks about everything I said. Just keep in mind, this is a transmission with 100k miles on it. Mike

·
Registered
620 Posts
Micah, Ford specifically says NOT to use Mercon V or any dual rated fluid in these transmissions. They are to only use the Mercon rated fluid.

SECTION 307-01: Automatic Transmission — 4R100 2003 F-Super Duty/Excursion Workshop Manual

IN-VEHICLE REPAIR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmission Fluid Drain And Refill

Special Tool(s)
Automatic Transmission Flush and Fill Machine 211-00018

Automatic Transmission Flush and Fill Machine 199-00010 or equivalent

Material
Item Specification
Motorcraft MERCON® Multi-Purpose (ATF)
Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX MERCON®

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ford Fluid Applications 1997 - 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 1997 Ford introduced the new Mercon V (Mercon 5 ) (MV) transmission fluid. Mercon V was designed to improve friction material stability, prevent torque converter clutch chatter and lower overall operating temperature, including shift temperature.

Ford units that require Mercon V (much like Chrysler and Honda transmissions that require HFM fluid) are part of an integral transmission/transmission fluid calibration package.

Purchasing Mercon V from Ford is very expensive. Fortunately LUBEGARD has developed a supplement which converts Dexron III or Mercon fluid to Mercon V properties. LUBEGARD Platinum supplement converts Dexron III or Mercon fluid to Chrysler and Honda HFM fluid properties and Dexron III or Mercon fluid to Mercon V properties.

http://www.txchange.com/merconv.htm
look at the chart.
he most likely has the AXODE trans. I haven't seen a superduty since 97 that takes mercron.

·
Registered
309 Posts
micah79,

He said he had a 99 SD. They have a 4R100 tranny. They use Mercon not Mercon V
;)

·
Registered
620 Posts
micah79 said:
My 2001 ford sd uses mercron v.
And read your owners manual. It specifically says not to.
Ther is also a Ford TSB for the dealers that clearly states NOT to use Mercon V or any fluid labled "Mercon/Mercon V"

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used Mercron with the Lubegard Mercron addative. Should I change it quick, or can plow the next couple days? I just changed it a few days ago, because it had a shudder at around 50 mph. I changed the fliud and filter, and it has done wonders so far. Also, do I have to get 100% of the mercron v treated stuff out of there or will most of it be fine?

·
Registered
309 Posts
micah79 said:
I used Mercron with the Lubegard Mercron addative. Should I change it quick, or can plow the next couple days? I just changed it a few days ago, because it had a shudder at around 50 mph. I changed the fliud and filter, and it has done wonders so far. Also, do I have to get 100% of the mercron v treated stuff out of there or will most of it be fine?
Personally, I would flush the system and change to straight Mercon.:eek:

I know several people who had the tranny fluid changed with Mercon V, and their trannies had to be replaced:eek: It doesn't happen right away, and may take 20-30K mi., but the Mercon V will cause it to fail eventually:(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts