Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I did some work to the front of my 1995 F-250. What a nightmare.:headwall Upper and lower ball joints on both sides, axle joints, right outer tie rod end.

Now, to my question: On the front axle, there is one axle joint to the left of the front diff, and 2 to the right of the front diff. The shaft that the right inner axle joint is attached to is the shaft that goes into the right side of the front difff. I couldn't get that shaft out. Do you have to take the front diff apart to release a clip?? If so, how involved is that?? something that could be done in my garage?

This is the first time i've done any front end work to this truck, as I got it last fall. Nothing came apart easy on it...2 ball joints had to be cut out, right side locking hub wouldnt come apart.....errrr. I cheated on the axle joints i could get to...took them up the road to a u-joint shop, they installed them for me in about 10 minutes and only charged me $12. Well worth it to me.

Thanks for your insight, Matt

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
That other u-joint on the inner shaft is a major PITA.You are supposed to open up the diff,to get it out.You can't just remove a the diff cover either,as it's part of the whole axle beam.You have to drop the entire diff out.

I usually cheat,and just pull the pass side outer axle,and then change the joint right in the truck.You may need to cut the old one (u-joint) out with a torch,and then you can just pop the new one in place.It's a little tricky doing it in the truck,but it's a lot easier than dropping the diff.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I usually cheat,and just pull the pass side outer axle,and then change the joint right in the truck.You may need to cut the old one (u-joint) out with a torch,and then you can just pop the new one in place.It's a little tricky doing it in the truck,but it's a lot easier than dropping the diff.
Thats how we did it on my old truck, we were able to get the tool in there, but I also took out the "pumpkin":burnout

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris, I knew I could count on you. :D Ill try that, taking the front diff apart isnt really an option for me. I do ok mechanically, but i think i would be over my head.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
If you get in a jamb and cant get the inner right joint out in the truck the diff carrier isnt that bad a job disconnect the driveshaft from the diff remove the cover bolts there is a bolt that runs vertical on the left side that needs to be removed and tilt the carrier down and out if you have to go this route take the time and replace the seals has well, becareful with the torch if your gonna try and do it in the truck to much heat and you will be pulling the carrier do to seal getting to hot and leaking, it looks worse than it really is trust me.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
wow, fred- I see you've almost whipped that addiction to punctuation!!! Only 3 left in that post!:D

·
Registered
447 Posts
I had to cut the whole passenger side out. The part that slides didn't, so I just cut it, and got a new one. Luckily I have a friend that gets real good deals on real expensive parts. I would like to take the guy who invented that front suspension and pull his nose hairs out one by one.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Fred

I tried to read your great tip while breathing at the punctuation . I almost passed out :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
waterchikn- You only get one nostril, I have dibs on the other one!!:zoinks You are right, who ever designs vehicles, surely doesnt take in to consideration how they are going to be repaired down the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts