Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a few of the threads on the F-150 and wonder if they are as 'light' as it sounds. My son is in the Air Force and I have the chance to pick up his 2000 F-150 Super Cab 4x4. Front axle is 3,600 - rear 3,550 - total 6,500 with the 5.4L. Recent engine rebuild makes it more interesting.

I would like to move a Western Unimount 7' plow to this rig - it is currently on a '92 Wrangler. It has worked on that for the past two years no problem.

Are the front ends of the Ford built that light that this will 'shell them out'?

Not a huge amount of driving - mostly small driveways / lanes. Thanks for your response - I sure have found some good information here. Mulefan.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Problem is gvw on front axle, because of the extended cab. 7' unimount is too heavy by specs. Not saying it can't be done but just so you are aware.

·
Registered
22 Posts
F 150

I have two a 1978 150 and a 93 150 and my son replaced the front
coil springs with F250 springs and that was the end of that. He got them
from Napa and they fit perfectly. sam:wink

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I had a 93 F150 and I put the F250 springs in. It worked out great!

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I had a 93 F150 and I put the F250 springs in. It worked out great!
Mulefan,welcome to LTS!

93 F150,and 2000 have nothing in common up front....the 2000 has a very light duty front end,esp the wheel bearings/hubs.If you plowed with it,Id buy a sno way plow only,as they are very light,yet strong.
IMO, there are much better choices for a full size pickup as a plow truck,unless the truck has value because it was your sons,or he's giving it to you,I'd keep looking,either a Dodge or Gm 1/2 ton around the same yr are much better plow trucks.A 3/4 ton truck would be ideal,although not necessary.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The problem with a 7' plow on an F150 is when you angle it it doesn't clear your tire tracks so just keep that in mind you really need that other 6".

Go ahead insert your own comment ...................

·
Registered
48 Posts
2000 F150, torsion bar suspension up front. Even with the snoway on mine (99 same style))you need to crank them up a bit plus timbrens.After cranking them, realignment is in order. I will not recommend the snoway plastic mold board though, shattered mine on a chunk of ice. It is stainless now.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
In 1998, the F-150 became an entirely different truck from the larger Super Duty series. Does anyone remember the Western plow fitted for these trucks with it's own dolly caster wheel? All the truck did was guide the plow, there was a small equipment wheel and tire on a shopping cart style caster that actually carried the plow assembly when raised.

That being said, I have a client who has a snow way mounted on an Expedition which is basically the same chassis that hasn't caused him any troubles through the years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Plows fine super nice rig

We have tryed two different F150's with Fisher Exteame Vs on them last season a 2008 extended cab, that we added spacers over the coils and it held it up fine and work real nice but I didnt like the lenght of it and I think it would have been great if it had been a regular cab. But it plowed super just toooooooo long for us.
I have since rigged up a 2005 F150 Regular Cab with the Fisher V 7 1/2ft that weighes 821lbs and both Fisher and Ford will tell you that you cant; and a dozen guys that have never tryed it; will tell you the same thing.
But I can tell you from owning two of them that it makes a SUPER nice set up; and if you already have a truck it worked out fine for us!
I put a set of Timbrens on the front and it holds the Fisher up fine. I run about 700lbs of ballast [100 Gal fuel tank full of Stove Oil] in the rear and have some very aggressive Sno Treds that are all studded and it will push a mountain of snow.
There is an awful lot of hype out there about hanging anything heavyer than a sheet of plywood on a half ton pickup nowadays and you should read between the lines on most of it.
When the 2008 got sold this spring the same dealer that hung the plow wanted to see how everything looked after a season of plowing with it after he almost begged me NOT to put it on the truck he told us that they did a very detailed inspection on the frontend of the truck and the wheel bearings and brakes looked fine and everything looked normal they couldnt find ANYTHING that looked unusual and I know they reported that directly to Fisher . They are now watching this truck to see if we have any problems with it in ANY way and so far so good. So good luck with what ever you decide to buy for a truck and good plowing:witch

·
Registered
273 Posts
I bought a used ford ranger (little in town runner) for a project to occupie my hobby habbits, and keep me busy for a bit.:D
Tore the bed off turned it into a flatbed, mounted a 575 snow-ex, 7.5 hd western ( had laying around ) custom made brackets and mount ( yes ), put rubber spacers into the front springs, old timberens in rare. LOL:haha and a lot of fun and beer drinking with the buddies while doing it.:drinkup
Told the guys I didnt care if it made it through the season and that it would never last the bearings will be shot.
Well the laughs and jokes are on me! " its still going 3 years strong " This next season Im going to paint on the bug shield ( JUST A LITTLE FORD TOUGH ) I think this little truck deserves it.:D
I'll send some pics when I get some time, I think everyone will get a kick out of it. " ONE TOUGH LITTLE TRUCK"

·
Registered
33 Posts
F150 with Fisher XV 90" SS

this is the Ford with the latest V plows from Fisher................ kinda like the Rolls Royce of plows???:cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Too much Chrome..............

Well its actually Stainless Steel just like the plow!!!
Had a guy ask me about all the chrome on the truck and he said "all that chrome wont get you home: but it will probably get you LAID" :D

Brent, go check out the post I just made under "snowplow discussion" <<<<Snow Plow Locks>>> and let me know what you think????

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Does anyone remember the Western plow fitted for these trucks with it's own dolly caster wheel?.
Yes sir I think I have a brochure from the limited time they produced the Western Wheel Blade...

Here is the limited info that they had for a short time on their website about these back in 96/97:

The WHEEL BLADE TM snowplow is a unique new plow designed for the limited axle capacities of some of today's 4x4's.

These lighter axle capacities limit the ability of some of these vehicles to carry the rugged and heavy snowplows required to do an effective job of plowing snow. This new snowplow is the solution to this growing problem!

The new WHEEL BLADE TM plow (patents pending), utilizes a pneumatic tire in conjunction with an independent suspension system to support the entire weight of the snowplow. Even in transit at recommended highway speeds, there is no additional weight on the front axle of the vehicle.

Both of these new snowplows will be arriving at your local Western distributor this summer and fall. Look for more information on the new MVPTM snowplow and the new WHEEL BLADE TM snowplow in this WHAT'S NEW! section of our web site in June.

Here is a pic of one thats on Craigslist in Ohio right now...

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
F 150

I have two a 1978 150 and a 93 150 and my son replaced the front
coil springs with F250 springs and that was the end of that. He got them
from Napa and they fit perfectly. sam:wink
Lmao yea ok and how did that work when the 93 150s have a ttb front end on coils and 250s are ttb on leafs! Haha 🤷‍♂️

1 - 16 of 16 Posts