Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I charge?

In addition to my own lots, I work as a sub on one parking lot. Last weekend during the 36" storm their spreader went down. Seeing how the nearest one was 15 miles away, I offered to use my spreader. They accepted, we did not talk price during the heat of the storm. What should I charge for the use of the spreader? I used it every hour to treat a hill that was approx 100" long, did the whole lot twice, and used thier materials. Total time over a 30 hour period was approx 4-5 hours.

Waht do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
These 4-5 hours you are talking about were not included in the hours charged for the entire plow shift? Since you used their material, I would just charge the rate I was getting for the plowing with the truck. So if spreading for them resulted in my getting 4-5 more chargeable hours at the site, I'd be happy with that. Those are hours you were never going to get for that shift becaue of them normally using their own equipment. Hopefully that helps.

·
Registered
413 Posts
You could also ask the contractor what he thinks, see if his offer is more generous. If not, then propose BRL's very reasonable approach. Since you proposed using your spreader it's tough to ask for a premium. If they were in a jam and had no other options than you'd be in a better position to "negotiate" a higher price. But, if you took/take advantage of their need this time, they won't soon forget and will not likely ask for your spreading services again. Be fair, negotiate something out with the contractor so you both are happy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
NSSM said:
I used it every hour to treat a hill that was approx 100" long, did the whole lot twice, and used thier materials. Total time over a 30 hour period was approx 4-5 hours.

Waht do you guys think? [/B]
I think you need to drive a little faster. A 8 1/2' (100") driveway isn't that long.:D

Just pulling your chain........boring around here with no snow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.