Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last week i was going to bed a 1 am. the weather forcast was for freezing rain and only freezing rain. I set the alarm for some stupid reason for 6 am. I woke up and there was 3 inches of snow on the ground. That maid me wonder what would happen if i would have overslept what would happen.

The funny thing is I've set the alarm 5-10 times this winter and never got enough snow to push. The one time we wern't going to get any we got 4 inch out of it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Last year I had a surprise where I woke up at 5 am on a Sunday morning and found 2" or more on the ground. I've since put a few safe guards in place to assure this doesn't happen again. I make sure I use a back up alarm clock that is a wind up clock in case we loose power. I also started to use Murray & Trettle weather forecasting service to help assure that I don't miss a forecast. This morning, I got a call at 4 am by M&T telling me that I could expect a dusting by the break of dawn. It never materialized by dawn, but they said we'd have snow this afternoon. Sure enough, we had the snow this afternoon. And for this morning, at least I didn't sleep through the potential of a light snow fall event. I thought the weather would be clear based on local forecasts. Better to be alerted than to sleep through freak lake effect snow events.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
to much trust

You cannot put that much faith in weather forecasting if ya do your gonna get burned i have seen many contractors oversleep a storm twice this year even at first its funny cause were like the only ones out then slowly you see and can tell the ones who tryed to use the forecast to plow by.

My routine for snow has been the same and will be till i get done with plowing someday. First i sleep in my office or den i have the tv come on at 3am i check outside if nothing ii use the bathroom go back to sleep and my second alarm goes off at 4.30am . Know so that i can sleep with my honey i rotate this procedure with my brother one week on one week off and we do this the whole season. Some of the contractors i am friends with will say Fred how did you know we were getting snow that wasnt even forcasted i always say my feet itch.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Re: to much trust

Pickering Snow said:
now so that i can sleep with my honey i rotate this procedure with my brother one week on one week off
Interesting...I guess your wife doesn't seem to mind:confused: :D Not a bad deal for your bro either:haha LOL! JK

·
Registered
107 Posts
Simple answer, make friends with either a few third shift cops, or some public works employees. They all have cell phones now, just be ready to expect a call based on road conditions.

Geoff

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Geoff said it, the buddy system works the best. If i wake uo to unforcasted snow in the middle of the night ill be burning up the nextel for at least 5 minutes waking up friends who plow.They have done the same for me.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Last thursday night , the forecast was for no snow til monday. I woke up friday morning at 8:15 to a 1/2''. My wife came in the bedroom and said , do you know it's snowing? I don't think I ever got out of bed so fast and got dressed. Everybody got caught. None of the roads were treated and there was a ton of accidents.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Geoff and John said it, Make some friends with some cops or highway dept emplyees. They are always out and can tell you when an unexpected event comes. I have never overslept but I have had a few phone calls waking me up when there was no snow forcasted but ended up getting a light snow fall. I will also call a few guys if I know they arent out yet. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yea had it happen before, had my employer call me tell me to get up get ready and to head out to the yard at a certain time hung up the phone thought i would take my time waking up....ya know how it is all nice and warm in bed, its dark n what not, yea so I got another call, wasn't as plesant as the first.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Some of the contractors i am friends with will say Fred how did you know we were getting snow that wasnt even forcasted i always say my feet itch.
Fred
Now we know the secret of the foot itch you posted about before!

It's amazing how fast you can get going if needed!

It makes for a bad run of plowing if you feel like you got a late start, or show up late at an account .

Like others have said buddy system works, even close locations
can have very different conditions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Murray & Trettle weather forecasting service do they have a website?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
My only "competition" is my neighboor. We honk if we don't see each others trucks warming up.

Then I go see him when I am done..... he owns the station where I buy diesel.

Howard

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Last couple years I made friends with the night shift guy at the LoafNJug. I get up and just dial the phone. I paid him $5 for a good accurate snow report. Now there is a web cam that shoots right onto the biggest contract we have. Makes it easier to judge. I always get up and look if I suspect snow at all. After 28 years I am pretty good at guessing. When in doubt, get up.plowing!

·
Registered
333 Posts
when they say the S word or the I word i don't sleep until it goes.
like sunday night they said snow into monday morning.do you think im going to sleep NO WAY.i stay up and tuff it out even if we don't have to go out.then if i do go out i do my thing and as soon as i come home i shower and go to bed lol

·
Registered
107 Posts
mikegamb said:
when they say the S word or the I word i don't sleep until it goes.
like sunday night they said snow into monday morning.do you think im going to sleep NO WAY.i stay up and tuff it out even if we don't have to go out.then if i do go out i do my thing and as soon as i come home i shower and go to bed lol
I am sure it works fine on a 2" storm, try that on a 24 storm that last over 2 days. It is important to try to get as much sleep as possible before a storm. If we have heavy snow forecasted from say 6 pm to 6 am, with 12 to 14" of accumulation. It means that the crews will have no time for rest breakes, so what do I do? When my guys come in at 7 we get everything ready, then go home to rest. Yes i pay them to rest because if i didn't they wouldn't rest. However when the first flake falls at 6 and I call them in we load trucks, and go. This way everyone has the most rest that is possible.

Geoff

·
Registered
620 Posts
Re: Re: to much trust

Arc Burn said:
Interesting...I guess your wife doesn't seem to mind:confused: :D Not a bad deal for your bro either:haha LOL! JK
Arc, I just started laughing out loud!!!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Re: Re: Re: to much trust

CPSS said:
Arc, I just started laughing out loud!!!!
LOL!,I thought it was cute:confused: :D I was starting to wonder if everyone lost there sense of humor around here:p

·
Registered
610 Posts
im so hyped
when they call for snow im up all night

john

·
Registered
333 Posts
GeoffD said:
I am sure it works fine on a 2" storm, try that on a 24 storm that last over 2 days. It is important to try to get as much sleep as possible before a storm. If we have heavy snow forecasted from say 6 pm to 6 am, with 12 to 14" of accumulation. It means that the crews will have no time for rest breakes, so what do I do? When my guys come in at 7 we get everything ready, then go home to rest. Yes i pay them to rest because if i didn't they wouldn't rest. However when the first flake falls at 6 and I call them in we load trucks, and go. This way everyone has the most rest that is possible.

Geoff

nope i don't sleep.the blizzard last year i was up for 2 days straight and it didn't bother me one bit.i worked that whole week.the day after the blizzard i worked 16 hours from 2 in the morning until 5 or 6 in the afternoon.i worked 15 hours the day of the blizzard from 8 in the morning until around 10 at night.went home watched Tv had somethin to eat and went back out around 1 30 in the AM.

i get hyper i guess you can say when a storms coming.plus if i do fall asleep thats trouble because im a heavy sleeper and i don't hear alarm clocks going off:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts