Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has hit anything with a V plow hard enough to bend/tweak a wing? We just got the $2200 bill for replacing the lift frame and both wings after a collision with a curb at 15 mph ish. I'll have to post pictures later.

I got the wings back from the installer, but have not had a chance to see where they are tweaked. It's hard to believe that the beefy wings would be tweaked to the point that they could not be used to plow.

The impact was hard enough to crack the welds and torque the cross brace on the back of the lift frame. Ouch!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Lawn Lad

I HAVE !!!:D

And it really bites. Last winter for about 3 days I could not figure out why I was not getting a good clean push from my plow (9'2" V). Notice a broken spring (trip) during an afternoon inspection, wound up replacing 2 trip springs - thought OK maybe that was the problem. NOPE, long story short, thinking back, I had one lot that I peeled about 15' of blacktop backwith the plow edge, this caused the wing to bend and tweaked the left wing so the outside tip was 1/4" off the ground and somehow stressed the right wing so that the cutting edge was warped and the center pin eyelets were oblonged. That was the only problem I have ever had with this plow - its now working on its 6th season. I do like the way the new wings have been welded up using more X bracing and eliminating some of the boxing that was on the old style.

Joe

·
Registered
660 Posts
Long story short.......
YES

It was the first full season with the Boss.

At that time I had 3 seperate housing developments' roads to plow. A couple of miles all totaled.

I was plowing before the final top coat (raised manhole and drain covers) on all 3 developments, but the problem happened on the one that FINALLY got paved smooth! I had plowed it slow the storm before, and found that there was only 1 or 2 manhole covers that were about 1/2" higher than the pavement, the majority were actually recessed (like they're SUPPOSED to be). Well, here I am plowing about 15 mph when all of a sudden, stuff in the cab goes flying, I eat the steering wheel, coffee spilled everywhere. Truck STOPS dead in 0 feet when I caught the manhole cover that was raised no more than 3/4".

I caught it about 6" to the right of the center hinge. It tried to angle the truck off to the side, but in the process, it bent the wing as the leverage increased towards the end of the plow.
I snapped all but one cutting edge bolt and a cast iron mounting coupler latch!

I patched it back together to finish the storm, and the next storm I ended up hitting something else to bend the left wing. When I say bend, I mean tweak to the point of it missing snow in different positions.

I ended up buying two blade halves @ $504 each before I called Boss and expressed my concern with their product that CANT trip. They ended up compromising and selling me more parts at "cost"

All together I needed:

RH Blade Wing
LH Blade Wing
RH Cutting edge
LH Cutting edge
Steel Coupler latches (recall)
Center section
T-Frame
New Cutting edge bolts

The list prices for all these parts was $2023

Boss came through at almost 1/4 of that price. I feel it should have been warranty, but warranty for what? It's a defect in DESIGN, not materials and workmanship.

So, if you regularly hit stuff, BOSS's cant trip like a traditional plow, so be CAREFULL!!!!

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
Yes, every one we own\have owned is tweaked. This is one of the reasons we are trying Fisher plows.

I realize this wouldn't have helped in this case, but we are trying urethane edges on them to see if that helps the cracking by the hinge. I know you don't like the cleaning of the u edges on the v either. The problem is we won't ever know if the urethane helps because they are all bent already.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Combine the full trip center hinge of a BOSS-V with the trip Edge of a Western/Fisher. Use BOSS's fast hydraulics and return spring wing retraction (fast!) and I believe you'd have a perfect plow!

·
Registered
48 Posts
new 9'2'V

I bought a new V this yr.and hit a man hole cover first time out and bent the right wing .
Than on the second time out I hit a driveway berm and noticed today a piece at the bottom broke and had to be welded. My 8'2'is 7 yrs old and never bent a wing. I think the poly plow isn't as strong as a metal mold board.

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts