Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 dodge ram 2500 4 by4. Last year at 35,000 miles
traveling at high speeds say 55-70 mph I would hear a loud rattling noise coming from engine. Brought the truck to the dealer and they said its probably the bottom have of the motor. They requested to see all my maintence receipts. which I had all them always changed oil at 3000 or before. When they took it apart they said the rods and bearing were shot. So I beleive the short blocked does this sound right. Luckily this happened 1000 miles before warrenty expired. Would of cost me about $4,000. Dealer fixed truck. With no problems. Also put a new oil pump. How long will this truck last me. I also plow with it. Has anyone had the same problem?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I had a 2001 with the 360 allways changed the oil at 3000 too.
Never a problem, traded it in with 69000 on it ran great with no rattles under the hood. Now my new hemi this thing kinda scares me. I not too sure of its dependability.
Todd

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
my 97 360 was very reliable ,traded it at 63K . I never had any engine issues .

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I had a 90 3/4 T with 360. 139,000 miles and no inside engine problems. It liked to eat oxygen sensors, but the guts and the rest of the FI system were fine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for your replys. Do you think synthetic could of been the problem. I was useing regular oil to about 20,000 miles. Then I used synthetic oil for a while. A couple of oil changes I went back to regular oil. Does this matter? A mechanic at the dealer told me if start with synthetic oil you must with it. Is that true?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Reg maint should always keep a vehicle going. Just got rid of my wife's 94 Buick Regal w/182,00 mile. Original motor, trans and radiator/heater core. Changed oil every 3-5K miles, trans and cooling system serviced every 50K. Had a little oil leak, and used a qt of oil every 600 miles or so. Didn't burn oil just a mileage thing.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I have read from more reliable sources( petroleum engineers) that it doesnt matter if you switch back and forth or mix . If the manufacturer wants you to wait a certain mileage before using syn then follow that .

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I am totally against synthetic oil. If I put it in my Camaro, it burns it. If I use regular oil, no problems, it reads full everytime I give it a check. The synthetic, I would put about 500-1000 miles on the car and check the oil, and it was always about a quart low. Never uses oil when I use regular motor oil. Also, I have heard that sythetic oil will find or cause oil leaks that you didnt have before, or just make the ones you have already worse. I dont know how true that is, just what I remember someone saying. I guess cause its thinner, it can creep through a gasket or seal quicker or easier than regular motor oil? I will never use it again. The funny thing is, my Camaro was filled with synthetic right from the factory. I dont see how they can put that stuff in a new motor, which isnt broken in yet. Mike

·
Registered
619 Posts
billy-
my former 2000 Ram 360cid also needed a short block. It developed two hairline fractures near the rear main fooling the dealer to replace the seals twice. Third time they discovered the cracks when the mechanic's fingernail caught it while cleaning the pan gasket. Ended up ridding myself of it in the end for the V10. Dealer claims it may have been there from the very beginning and took several thoudand miles to bring it about. Mine too was nearing warranty expiration.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Are you sure its not pinging at highway speed?my 97 318 started to rattle at highway speed and it ended up being the intake gasket.its a common problem.what happens is theres a plate under the intake that the gaskets blows out and causes a internal vacuum leak.The best way to check is look down the throttle body to see if theres oil in it,if there is the gaskets no good.maybe this can help or maybe the engine is bad,every once in a while you get a bad seed.thats what warranty is for:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
sorry I didn't realize its already fixed,disregard my post,its late and sometimes I don't read everything all the way through.:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts