Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as a side note....

I am currently working with a two way radio dealer on a number of projects. The owner and I have become friendly. Tuesday one of his employees had a terrible ATV accident.

Tuesday the employee was headed up to one of thier remote radio towers on and ATV. The employee went off the edge of the moutain and was seriously hurt. He is in ICU with a broken arm, lacerated liver, removed his gall bladder and is on a venitlator.

The conversation I had with the owner was sad. There are two routes to the site. The most direct route requires a snow cat this time of year. The second route is doable on an ATV, but is more technical.

The decision to use an ATV was based soley on costs (150 per hour for a snow cat). The owner is now losing serious sleep over that decision. I am not saying he made a right or wrong decision, but he sure regrets it now.

Maybe the employee was not as careful as he should have been, maybe it was too dangerous on an ATV.

Just some food for thought.

Howard

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is a sad story. However, I find it a little disheartening that you would feel that this is an off topic post or a side note. Safety is job one.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Diginahole,
He posted in the Off Topic forum because its not a post about snow plowing stuff, which is technically correct. And I think that the fact that he took the time to post it for all of us to see & consider in our operations is evidence that he considers it an important subject.

And I agree with you that safety is job one. So I'm moving this to the Business Forum, because discussing how we manage safety in our operations is a high priority to having successful businesses. Hopefully someone can avoid a similar situation in their operation by reading that story

chtucker,
Sorry to hear about your friend's situation. Hopefully his employee will get better and soon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Howard, I must appologize if I sounded harsh in my previous post, it was really not my intent. I thank you for starting a discussion about saftey, it is a very pertinant and worthy discussion in our industry.

And BRL thank you for bringing this discussion to a more appropriate venue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts