Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I am thinking here , is a mild steel edge with carbides welded onto it. Since the carbides last a long long time, to extend the edge life. on a hardened edges or Abrasion Resistant material edge... Why wouldn't it work on a mild steel edge ? Would save a shytload of money on a blizzard edge for sure ! Its pretty easy to clamp the OE edge to a hunk of steel and drill the holes... nobody said you need carriage bolts to hold the edge on !

·
Registered
905 Posts
I think it would vary for each individuals situation,around here guys are plowing long narrow gravel roads/private drives,it seems like the "crown" of the road is still gonna win out as the carbides are only on the edges,only one way to find out i guess,keep us posted.

I've also had more than one guy think he was smart and bolted up a piece of mild steel after i gave him a price on edges,he told me i was robbing him,i just laughed and told him he'd be back,he was:D

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just thinking out loud... you can get full carbides to run in the center section of the plow too... someone has to try it out... probably me after the edge on my 810 wears down a little more lol !

·
Registered
352 Posts
I was just thinking out loud... you can get full carbides to run in the center section of the plow too... someone has to try it out... probably me after the edge on my 810 wears down a little more lol !
I have run them on my wings for 3 seasons. Love it!

My old wings that i finally replaced this season after the last 3 still have some life left on them. I am thinking of cutting the carbides off and welding them on the main edge to see what happens.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can get the center edge made locally of a better material (i forget what it was, but they said it was the same material they would spec for DOT cutting edges). I think it was around $100 bucks, and it was 7" tall. They punched the holes in it for me also. I had them cut a couple pieces to weld onto my existing wings, (welded them on AFTER i put the new center edge on to get them at the right height).

Then i took my old wore down cutting edge and welded it to the bottom of the new edge making it 1" thick. I also did the same on the wings, so they are 1" thick also. It doesnt really wear anymore lol.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Then i took my old wore down cutting edge and welded it to the bottom of the new edge making it 1" thick. I also did the same on the wings, so they are 1" thick also. It doesnt really wear anymore lol.
I see many one-ways and wings double up on the edges too for this reason.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
You can get the center edge made locally of a better material (i forget what it was, but they said it was the same material they would spec for DOT cutting edges). I think it was around $100 bucks, and it was 7" tall. They punched the holes in it for me also. I had them cut a couple pieces to weld onto my existing wings, (welded them on AFTER i put the new center edge on to get them at the right height).

Ok. Going to try that once my edge on my Blizzard is done. How long have you ran it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts