Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
How many guys use a spray system in there operation? that unit there on ebay looks great.

Now would that be more of a pre treatment system with a nit like that or would you use that after your lot has been scraped down ?

·
Registered
131 Posts
On one of our trucks we use a 500 gallon spray set-up in conjunction with a spreader. I posted some pics for you. That eBay rig is a pretty large set-up. Deice liquids run about 10 lbs per gal so you would need a pretty nice sized truck to legally carry that. It is also a little more fancy than needed, but hey, who's complaining?! That Ravens spray controller is nice, but not really necessary for lot work. Also, in NY when your tank hits 1000 gallons, I believe you fall into all kinds of new regulations....

We use this truck to do direct liquid applications and to pre-treat salt piles. We did another 35 tons this morning!

Anyway, you would want to treat your lots before the snow starts. This will accomplish two important things. First it will help prevent the snow from bonding to the pavement which will allow for easier and cleaner scraping. Second, the liquid (Magic or Caliber in our case) will burn off the first inch or two and reduce the amount of plowing that has to be done. You can also do liquid applications during storms. This will reduce the need for plowing and help prevent hardpack and icing.

Drop me a note if you have any more questions I can try to answer...

Pete :usa

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Business end of the truck!

Spreader chute & spray bar set-up.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
We pretreat all our sites with Magic, Caliber or Magic Salt to get the same benefits that Pete mentioned. Anti-icing plays a major part in out snow removal and reduces over-all cost. The more we melt off, the less we have to plow.

John

Attachments

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
This might be a stupid question but how do you price it out? If you pre treat then plow will you have to salt or sand after? If you don't have to salt or sand would you charge more for the liguid application?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cat,

I hope this helps. We price it per gallon. Amount of liquid depends on the storm. The more snow predicted the more Magic or Caliber is needed. We also sub our liquid and Magic Salt applications. You can still get the same results using the Magic Salt without the need for a spray rig which will run you a few thousand dollars. Just apply just ahead of the storm up to 1/2" accumulation. We use liquids because they stay, we can apply up to 2 weeks in advance. Granular products will turn to dust and blow away under heavy traffic. Just remember Magic and Caliber are water soluble and will wash away if we get any rain. After plowing we might have to do a very light application of liquid or Magic Salt. It all comes down to how much product was applied prior to the storm.

John

·
Registered
38 Posts
One more thing... Using Magic Salt will eliminate the need for using sand or sand/salt mix. And no messy spring clean-up.

John

·
Registered
131 Posts
John, quick question on your fan tips. What gpm are those green ones. We have our set up with the gray ones (don't have the gpm avail at home) and I was just wondering about the the difference. We find we have to drive about 15-17 mph for lots and that's fine, I just wanted to hear about your results vs what size tips you are running.

Also, what size tank are you running?

Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pete,
I forget the GPM. I'll check it out when I get to the office and let you know. I think we were spraying at 13-15 MPH last year. This year I'm adding a Raven system with radar and second and third lane nozzles.

Our IH is fitted with a 720 and 525 gallon tanks.

John

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Is the mixture 100% or is it cut with water to make up a full tank?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Magic and Caliber products are not mixed with anything. They are applied full strength.

Nice rig with those tanks John..., how about a side shot? Thanks for the info. Those Ravens systems are pretty nice. I looked at one that I think I could tie to a portable gps for groundspeed inputs. It just wasn't economical for us right now, but I'm always hoping that we will need it in the future!!

Pete

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pete,
I'll post some pics when I get it done. I just finished building the 525 gallon rig and I still have to plumb and wire the contol valves.

The green nozzles flow 3.0 GPM @ 10 psi and 6.0 GPM @ 40 psi. I also have the yellow 2.0 GPM @ 10 psi and 4.0 GPM @40 psi. I could find any info on the grey tips.

John

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is the only picture I have of my liquid set-up at this time I will post more pics and descriptions in the next few days. I just posted some other pic under discussion "Ready to roll....Finally"

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
45gal tank, the nozzles are (5) 1/8"NPT - .5gpm @ 40psi, .057" orifice, flat fan spray, made of brass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts