Snowplow Forums banner

easy upgrade

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Joey D 
#1 ·
What would be an easy upgrade for a '97 6.5L diesel?

#5 ·
upgrades for the 6.5 are out there,but the power gains are more in line with what you would see on a typical gasser V8. You can send your computer in to be reprogrammed after you add a low restriction exhaust and intake system. The only 6.5s that made respectable power gains cranked up were the 92-93 mechanical pumped 6.5s you could crank the pump up on those,and add air flow,and an intercooler and get decent performance.

#7 ·
I actually saw a newer Chevy with a Cummins HO in it. I wouldn't even want to know how much work that swap was.:rolleyes:

#8 ·
Get an intercooler. It will offer the best results. I have done some small stuff that never added up to a huge diff. The propane system was worth 30hp . The exhaust only sounds better. I am looking at a computer reflash from Westers Garage but the intercooler is need 1st. I may have a D-max intercooler this week to test fit and see where it goes from there.

#9 ·
First thing you should do is replace the stock air box with a K&N filter. Use the one that replaces the OEM filter, but don't use the air box, just connect the filter to the MAF.

I was always jelous of the Ford/Dodge guys because they're turbos were much louder than mine, now with the K&N, I can finally hear the turbo from inside the truck! :p

#10 ·
Not to knock K&N here,as they make lots of good filters,but I find they do not filter well on most diesels.

Check your turbo blades,and see just how dirty they are.

There are better solutions available.You can use a BHAF,or a big honkin air filter.It is just a BIG round paper filter that flows a lot more air (more turbo noise too :D).They are cheap,and can be installed just like a universal K&N.There also some real nice intake and filter systems,but they are $$$.

Here is a pic of mine.Bigger is better.

Attachments

#11 ·
wyldman said:

Here is a pic of mine.Bigger is better.
Why would there be a difference between using K&N with a diesel or gas engine? How would a K&N filter less on a diesel?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always heard that when talking about intake/exhaust, sometimes bigger is not always better.

#12 ·
A diesel pulls way more air than a gasser,and they can pull stuff right through some filters.

Bigger is better works well for diesel intakes and exhausts,but is not always right for a gasser.

A diesel makes power by adding fuel,and fuel only.I can make over 500 HP easy,by adding fuel.But that fuel makes heat,and needs to be cooled.The air does the cooling,and keeps temps down.More air means less EGT's.That's why you need an EGT gauge on a diesel,to keep an eye on temps.

A gasser needs air,and fuel,in the correct stoichiometric ratio to make power,and the two much be closely matched.The also need some exhaust backpressure to help cylinder scavenging.So bigger is not always better.

#15 ·
You not like foam filters? I had an amsoil filter and it fell apart on me within very short order causing it to not filter at all. :eek: Amsoil did thier best to send me a new one but I said no thanks. I got a foam UNI filter instead. Its a very nice peice.

#20 ·
Hey Wlydman if I put a bigger air filter on my 6.5L it'll give me a louder "turbo" sound? The one thing I hated about my engine is how you can hardly hear the turbo compared to a PSD or Cummins. I put a larger diameter exhaust on it this summer, it made it a little "turbo" sounding, but if the air filter will do the same I'll have to try that.:burnout

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.