Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new computer . I want to transfer info from old to new . I bought this "easy transfer cable and software " for Vista . . If anyone has used this ? Is it as easy as it says and are there any pitfalls ? :popcorn2

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
When I got mine i just used a 2 gig flash drive. Copied my file folders and just pasted into the "C" drive. Like pictures, mp3's txt files etc.

You will have to install programs and not just transfer.

One trick i used on my transfer on certain programs with customer passwords is i copied the file folder and held it on the flash drive.

I then installed that program to the computer and then overwrote by pasting the same file folder over the new one. I then had all my passwords etc i needed.
This was with windows ME to XP. Vista is a new ballgame with me and I will stay away as long as possible.

There are programs that can do a hard drive mirror copy (like Ghost) but i heard lots of XP and older stuff won't run in vista.
I'm sure the pro's will chime in but this worked for me.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
It's just plug n play Bill. The CD walks you through it step by step. I'm about as dumb as they come when it comes to computers and I managed to transfer all my data and programs without a glitch. Just go into the old computer first and delete anything you don't want transferred.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I was too cheap to buy the transfer cable. I already had an external usb hard drive (works like a big pen drive) so I copied all the documents into the ext. hd. Then I installed vista, copied the documents, and installed the programs.

I don't like the idea of ghosting or copying everything over. Why bring all the screw ups, root kits, malware etc. into the new? I do believe in "clean installs" meaning no upgrades, everything installed fresh from the original discs. This will really speed up an existing system that has slowed.

Do run the defragmentation before you copy everything. Usually start/all programs/accessories/system tools/ disk defragmenter.

Visa does have it's own built in transfer (easy transfer?) which I tried once and did not like. It burns to Cd's - too small - and doesn't tell you how far along it is in the process.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's just plug n play Bill. The CD walks you through it step by step. I'm about as dumb as they come when it comes to computers and I managed to transfer all my data and programs without a glitch. Just go into the old computer first and delete anything you don't want transferred.
Thanks Steve ! I will have to spend some time getting rid of junk first.

Here is the computer I bought . It should stay up to date for a while
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9017093&type=product&id=1218008672894

·
Registered
850 Posts
Star, did I understand you installed vista? Why would one do that? Just wondering.
I went from XP-64bit to Vista 64bit last month after saying I never would.

Even though it hogs more resources than xp, it runs smoothly and I have no complaints. I used Black Vipers (http://www.blackviper.com/) guide to tweak it. I have been using his tweaks on XP for years and never had an issue.
I like the fact Vista supports all my ram and DirectX 10 (as new games start to come out).
All my games run awesome at full graphics, so i'm very happy with Vista.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went from XP-64bit to Vista 64bit last month after saying I never would.

Even though it hogs more resources than xp, it runs smoothly and I have no complaints. I used Black Vipers (http://www.blackviper.com/) guide to tweak it. I have been using his tweaks on XP for years and never had an issue.
I like the fact Vista supports all my ram and DirectX 10 (as new games start to come out).
All my games run awesome at full graphics, so i'm very happy with Vista.
Nice to hear ! I know Vista has troubles with old software and old computers but all I use is Vista compatible and I bought a machine that is up to snuff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts