Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How tight should the ram fitting be in the cover. Mine tkaes a fair amount of persrasion to put on and take of the ram. I even have and older cover that the sleeve on the inside of the cap is lose so I can take it out and that even didn't want to go over the ram. No rust on the ram,have even scotch brited the shaft. would it help to use lubricating spray or even the hydralic plow fluid on the top of the shaft The sleeve seem to be a few thousands smaller than the ram. Thank you for all help and info. Trying to get my pump back together before the snow hits. Had to replace that packing cup due to plow leaking down due to worn cup. I'm one of those senior citzens on a tight fixed iincome so I do almost all of my own work, so any advice is welcome and appreciated. I do have they Meyer manual and did some research on your tube.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
22 Posts
1-- the top of the ram, around the bold holes, gets deformed. If so, this must be filed down, and sanded, or it can ruin the new seal.
2-- With a new seal, they are very tight to get started. Most common way is with a mallet.
3-- Even after on the ram, you probably still will not be able to push it down by hand. mallet and piece of pipe works.
4-- Careful when fitting into the reservoir, keep straight, I prefer to slowly, evenly draw it in with the nuts, while tapping with mallet. Then remove nuts, to install the new nut seals.
Yes, you want it lubricated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts