Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed the fluid in the angling cylinders and pump of my
e-47 using the methods described in the maintenance section of this site. After finishing everything seemed to be ok. I could lift and lower the blade fine. I angled left alright, but when I tried angling right the motor would run, but the blade wouldn't budge.
I figured it could be several things, so the next day I disconnected the plow and stood it up with the moldboard face down, and the A frame up. I then connected the hose from the left cylinder to the coupler on the right cyinder, and attempted to manually angle the A frame (in order to eliminate the possiblilty of the cylinders being a problem) much to my surprise, it still wouldn't budge. I tried bleeding the left cylinder and that didn't help. Nothing seems to be binding, so I'm at a loss to explain why it won't move. I'm getting increasingly frustrated, so any help or ideas would be greatly apprieciated. :headwall

·
Registered
31 Posts
First off, did the plow angle before you serviced it?

You will not be able to move the A-frame in the manner you explained by hooking the hoses together. You would think so, but it just does not work unless you have a major, major leverage factor envolved.

The best way we have found to change out the cylinder fluid is to get an extra set of couplers. Install them in the appropriate coupler on the plow. This will open up the check valves and allow you to move the cylinders freely (you still may need some additional leverage). Place the hoses in a bucket so as not to spray fluid all over.

IF you still can not move the A-frame, check to make sure that the King Bolt is not too tight as well as the bolts holding the cylinders on. All points must have free movement.

IF you still can not move the A-frame, you most likely have a bent angle cylinder. Remove one and try moving Frame. Check both side individually.

Go to the Meyer/Dimond site and look up their troubleshooting guide to figure out the pump and solinoids. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Highpoint:
Thanks for your help.
Yeah, it did angle before I serviced it and it angled manually after I serviced too. I only developed a problem after reinstallation.

I used the method described by the webmaster to flush and refill my angle cylinders.
The final step was to connect both rams to each other and then manually angle the A- frame back and forth to circulate the fluid between them, which I did without any problem.

It really wasn't that difficult to do, which is why it makes no sense why it isn't working now.

I have checked to see if anything was binding or too tight (bolts) and that isn't the problem (unfortunately).
I've looked at the Meyer troubleshooting guide and I ended up without an answer.

I'll investigate the possibility of a bent cyinder, I'm also thinking my couplers might be damaged.
Luckily, my good cousin came over today with his F350 and brand new BOSS, to clear our 1/8 mile driveway so at least I don't have to drive through a foot of snow and mud to get parts if I have to. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
73 Posts
May have gotten debris in your "c" valve when doing change. C valve controlls angling. It's the one with the freen wire. Make sure it is getting juice when you angle left or right. hold screwdriver to it. It should stick with current applied. Take out c valve and bench check operation and o-rings.

·
Registered
527 Posts
check your angle switch, that may have gone bad. we had pretty much the same problem and it ended up being a bad angle switch. good luck!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
You will find that replacing the couplers will solve the problem. Only problem is, often times even the brand new ones will be broken as well, so have a couple of sets handy just in case. I learned that one from Garagekeeper.

·
Registered
609 Posts
BRL said:
You will find that replacing the couplers will solve the problem. Only problem is, often times even the brand new ones will be broken as well, so have a couple of sets handy just in case. I learned that one from Garagekeeper.
Learned it from John too:grinz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd like to thank everyone for helping me with this. I fixed the angling problem....but now I've got a new problem.

First of all I'll explain that the angling poblem was caused by a faulty crossover relief valve.
After spending $65 (at my local Meyer dealer) for a new one my problem was solved.

I was able to plow my driveway better than ever :D .....
....unfortunately, as I was finishing my driveway the plow started having trouble lifting, and it would lift even less each time I tried to raise it. :mad:.....eventually it didn't lift at all ....great.

Anyhow, the fluid level was fine, and the B valve was functioning properly, eliminating those as the problem led me to look at the pump and motor.
The motor runs (or tries to) when I engage the lift, so I figured the pump was shot. I removed the pump and motor assembly and sure enough, the pump didn't turn well and would bind.

I just bought a new pump and motor (I bought the motor since I had heard the old prestolite motors might not mount to a new pump and since they were $50 I figured "what the hell")

I installed the new motor on the new pump and reinstalled everything (double checking my connections and fluid level).

Satisfied everything was connected properly (Red power wire on motor, ground on back of unit, solenoid wires connected, all hoses coupled, etc) I tried to lift the ram (I didn't attach the main chain lift for the blade)

When I tried to lift, it stalled my truck within seconds....now, I know my battery is charged, so I don't know what it could be.... ...and it looks like I'd have to tap holes for my old motor to fit on the new pump.

Any ideas? It doesn't seem like my new motor would be DOA, but the way things have been going I wouldn't be surprised.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:
I believe the almighty has taken pity on me and decided to end my suffering.

This morning I fixed the main problem. I had connected the red 12v wire UNDER the two nuts on the motor instead of BETWEEN them
:rolleyes:

That fixed the stalling problem and everything now works perfectly.
I can now lift/lower and angle. The response time is better than ever.

I happened to speak with my dear mother after fixing it and she informed me that she had said a prayer this morning that my plow would work......all I can say is, I believe in miracles! :D

I still have one small problem though. Where the pump bolts onto the center section of the e-47 it is leaking slightly. I torqued the nuts to the proper spec, yet it leaks. I'm tempted to try and seal the entire edge where the leak is, but I'm not sure if it would work or what to use. Gasket sealant perhaps?
Any ideas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
about your leaking problem
although it should be fixed right ive just convered up leaks before too :rolleyes:
i have tried gasket maker but it doesnt seem to work all that great for me. what i usually use is 2 part epoxy (i cant remember the brand but probably any kind that bonds to metal). the big thing is though to have it as clean and dry as possible, and scuff it up just slightly. i clean the surface with brake cleaner. also put some epoxy not just where the leak is,cuz somtimes itll follow the gasket up further and seep out there.
its not perfect but it usually almost stops or slows it down anyway :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts