Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you drive an truck requiring a DZ license class with a regular G class. I heard if the truck is empty you could. Maybe its a Canada thing. I read this on a fire fighting board.

Lets say you purchase a truck in the US and need to bring it into Canada.
Can this be done or do you need a driver with there DZ to drive this.

Dave.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Unless your a farmer you need a D and even a farmer needs a GZ for a tandem. We all have our AZ's just in case.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Can I change my address to your farms so all I need is my Z endorsement. :D

I hate ministry road tests and the administers at the gov offices.

Dave.
Yup 3 times taking the driving part. Watched a lot of guys fail. Finally got my CDL Class A a few weeks ago

What is a DZ lic.?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup 3 times taking the driving part. Watched a lot of guys fail. Finally got my CDL Class A a few weeks ago

What is a DZ lic.?
For straight trucks (Stake,Box) and Tandems (Weight depending) with Air brakes no Tractor Trailers.

If I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
153 Posts
For straight trucks (Stake,Box) and Tandems (Weight depending) with Air brakes no Tractor Trailers.

If I'm not mistaken.

My understanding is you can drive any truck (except bus with passengers or fire truck) but can't tow anything over 10,000 lbs. There is no limit on the truck weight. But I could be wrong. I'm sure it is listed on the MTO website.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The only time you can drive an "heavy" truck with a single class G is 1, the truck do not have air brake, 2, You are with a passenger who have a class A or D and 3, you are not towing a trailer weighing more then 4600 kg or 10,120 lbs. That is sure only for the province of Ontario, Not sure about the other province or the states.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If the truck have air brake then you'll need a Z no mater what.

·
Registered
930 Posts
They have weekend courses for your airbrakes. That's where our main guy went to get his, you go Sat and Sunday and Sunday afternoon you take your Z test. I got my AZ when I was 18, it's really no big deal to get it. You can actually get your A with your pickup and trailer as long as both units have yellow stickers and the trailer is a pintle hookup.

·
Registered
170 Posts
They have weekend courses for your airbrakes. That's where our main guy went to get his, you go Sat and Sunday and Sunday afternoon you take your Z test. I got my AZ when I was 18, it's really no big deal to get it. You can actually get your A with your pickup and trailer as long as both units have yellow stickers and the trailer is a pintle hookup.
Thats right, the easiest way to get the A. You can only read the little book and go pass the test for air brake. I think it's only 20 questions and you must have a max. of 3 mistake.
Get the Z first then go for the A or D after (40 questions then inspection and driving test).

·
Registered
170 Posts
What is a DZ lic.?
Class A = for pulling a trailer over 10102 lbs.
Class B = school buses over 24 pass.
Class C = regular bus over 24 pass.
Class D = A vehicle over 24,200 lbs with trailer less 10102 lbs.
Class E = school bus with a max. of 24 pass.
Class F = Regular bus with a max. of 24 pass. and ambulances.
Class G = Any car or vehicle less 24.200 lbs.
Class M = Motorcycle
Class Z = Air brake

So a D-Z license is a class to drive a truck with air brake pulling a trailer less 10,102lbs.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow that's neat but scary at the same time that all u need is a pick up with a trailer. Yeah my trailers are pintle and stickred along with the trucks.

I was thinking of taking the course at Humber or Harinder Singh Truck Driving School of Brampton. :rolleyes:

How is the insurance like on these big trucks Medium duty trucks like the C6500 or International 4300's.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I was thinking of taking the course at Humber or Harinder Singh Truck Driving School of Brampton. :rolleyes:
Modern in Hamilton has a really good reputation....especially for Firefighters because they have a pumper (aka - engine) and will show you pump ops, etc.

http://www.moderntraining.com/

There's also this one, which seems to have a professional website and is pretty good on the phone. I've just had a lot of recommendations for Modern in Hamilton.

http://www.metrotrucktraining.com/

The Humber courses are REALLY expensive.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wow that's neat but scary at the same time that all u need is a pick up with a trailer. Yeah my trailers are pintle and stickred along with the trucks.

How is the insurance like on these big trucks Medium duty trucks like the C6500 or International 4300's.
Found that, since last June if you pass the A class with a smaller truck and trailer such a pick up and flat bed or horse trailer, you'll have the "R" restriction. That mean you can not drive a double trailer or a trailer with air brakes.
heres the link.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/classalic.shtml

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
For us the standard lic I cna drive a 25,999lb rated truck with a trailer not heavier than 10,000lbs. All I needed was a med card. Class B is the next step and is any truck rated over 26k with a trailer no more than 10k. Class A is a Everything Truck rated over 26k and trailer rated over 10,001lbs. Air brakes are an endorcement. Every truck over 26k has air so it pretty much comes with the territory when stepping up. Air brakes is still considered an endorsement Buses, firetrucks, tankers, and hazmat are also endorsements.

It is crazy, I took my test with a 33k auto truck with air and an electric brake trailer rated over 10k and now I can drive an 18wheeler.

The laws are screwed up. I know they will be changing this in the next 3 years or so. So if you don't have your CDL now and are thinking about getting it, Get grandfathered in! Just a suggestion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts