Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Q: Can anyone actually running a Duramax/Allison in a 2500HD 4X4 tell me what the actual MPG is that you are getting?

Looks like I am going to add a third truck in the spring. Most likely it will be a pick up truck. Although I am pretty happy with the performance I am getting out of my F-450SD 4X4 6.0 PSD, I am not at all happy about the 8.5 MPG, and the 40/20/40 seat seems to be alot smaller in my Ford than in my Chevy. Since we all know how much time our a** spends in that seat comfort is important.

I am getting around 9 MPG in my 2500HD 4X4 6.0 Gasser and very happy with the performance and comfort from this truck over the 30,000 miles I have driven it, plowed with it, and trailered with it. I am considering a second Chevy 2500HD 4X4 with the Durmax but I do think MPG will be the most deciding factor.

Any help and/or suggestions in making this truck selection would be nice. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have close to 10k on my reg cab with an allison. I have close to 1000# balast in the back and average between 12-15 in town/highway mix. The Cumins does seem to get better milage but although I am a cummins fan I am not a fan of dodge. I hear most dmax guys knock down close to 20 highway empty. I put 500 miles on the stock tires and ditched em in favor of some 265 dunlops. Now before you say you average 12-15 with a good amount of highway sucks, let me tell you I have a real hard problem keeping my foot outa it ;) Did I mention I am down to the wear bars on my dunlops with around 9k on them? Just the rears though :confused: couldnt be my fault though right? :greenange Must be a tire deffect :rolleyes: :burnout

Edge box with an attitude monitor. Did I mention I LOVE my truck?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ron,

I don't think your comparing apples to apples. What is the empty weight of the F450 campared to the HD2500? 10-11K more or less?

You need to ask others with the same type of set-up that you have, except with a Duramax/Allison.

Only then can you compare the two for mileage.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rob,

I scaled both trucks just two weeks ago. The 2500HD empty with the V box and 8' Plow 7,500lbs loaded the 2yrd V box, 11,500. The F-450 empty with the 8.5 MVP 12,000lbs loaded the dump bed about 1/2 full 22,500. So not that big of a difference empty.

Than main difference that is effecting MPG between those two trucks is the readend gearing. I either have 4:88's or 4:30's not really sure, in the F-450 and it is DRW. Where I have 4:10's in the 2500HD SRW.

The MPG I was really wanting to compare putting "apples to apples" is the MPG in a 2500HD Gasser and a 2500HD Duramax. Just mention of the F-450 for the sake of stating that I do have a 6.0PSD and will to pay the $4,000 for the upgrade if it will yeild a return.

For what I use my F-450 for, which is just work. It can not be bet even at the 8.5 MPG I have been getting no mater what application the truck is under. I do love the new torqueflight tranny matched up to the PSD. My F-450 down right hauls like a mule loaded and I have not even had a chance to use the 4X4 yet.

The pick up on the other hand is my primary transportation so I do put more miles on it. I have made a few 200+ mile trips on the Hwy and did get about 11 MPG in the P/U.

As for the PSD in the F-250,F-350 SRW-PSD, I have heard from guys in the are getting 12-15 and 17-20. If the Duramax is about the same it might just come back down to ride quality and brand loyality and who knows as I consider GVWR's DRW in a 1 Ton P/U is also starting to look good so MPG is totaly out the window anyway.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
I just did the math, at current fuel prices it will take you nearly 85,000 miles to break even for the extra expense of the diesel when considering the fuel savings.

Not sure of how long you keep your trucks, or how many miles you drive, but fuel milage is rarely justification economically for purchasing a diesel. Most get it for the extra torque, the smooth application of power, or
just 'cause they want it!!:burnout omg :rockon :greenange

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve, Thanks for taking the time to do the math. I was under the impression you guys in the northeast had snow to plow. As for us guys here in the midwest we are still wondering if we are ever going to get any snow at all this month.

However, the question remains:

"Q: Can anyone actually running a Duramax/Allison in a 2500HD 4X4 tell me what is the actual MPG you are getting?"

Did you buy a 2500HD duramax? I thought you were only running Ford's with PSD's from the pictues I have seen.

Rat,

Thanks for your input, but you might not want to pull up next to any of those 6.0 PSD P/U's that are putting down 11sec E/T's. Might make you want to get a Ford to burn tires up with. :burnout :p

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Ron-

My uncle bought an 03 2500HD D/A last spring. I called him the other day, and after seeing this thread, I asked him what his mileage is. He said with a toolbox, rack, and sometimes pulling a trailer, mix of highway and city, he still gets around 15-16mpg. His truck has just over 10,000 miles on it. I hope that helps you out a little, I don't personally drive this truck, but I have, and it is much more powerful than his 98 7.3L PSD. Both are bone stock.

·
4,902 Posts
Uh oh, there was no '98 model year for the 7.3.

They ran to '97 in the old body style, then were introed as '99s in mid '98 for the Super Duty body.

4evergreen, we're in between storms right now, I'm getting caught up on paperwork. My friend has a Duramax 2500 he uses in general construction, I'll ask him his milage.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Must be a 97, or I guess it could be a 96 :confused: , I know it is the previous body style, before they were all classified as Super Duty. He bought it in 98, and I thought it was new then, I'll find out when I talk to him tonight, just for clarification, and for my own information. Sorry about the incorrect information.:(

The rest is true, on my honor.:usa

·
4,902 Posts
That would make sense. The Super Duty version has a bit more hp and torque than the pre '99 version, the Duramax has higher ratings as well. They are just about even for the last 7.3s and the Duramax, but the tranny on the GMs is a bit stronger.

I think the 6.0s have higher ratings than Duramax now, when they'll stay together!:eek:

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to you both.

Pelican, as I said I do love my 03 F-450SD 6.0PSD, but I have had only a few problems that were all correctable within one day.I am hearing great things about the 04 built 6.0 PSD's.

I do like the cab in the GM's P/U just alittle better than the Ford. Like the simple things for instance, gauges in the Ford are all operating ranges, and volt gauge in my F-450, but five gagues in the Chevy and all with numbers to go by, and like I already said the 40/20/40 seat in the Ford is alot narrower in the 40 part than in the Chevy. I am just a average size guy, but the wider seat in the Chevy is more comfortable after all those hours plowing(when it does snow).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Duramax MPG

Empty around town(stop and go) 17-18

Empty Highway 21-23mpg( depending on how heavy my foot is)

Plowing w/ 9' Fisher 13-14

Towing 36' fifth wheel(13,000) lbs 11-12mpg

I had a 2001 with the 8.1/allison and the cost of gas was killing me especially when towing.

2003 GMC 2500HD SLT 4x4 EC Duramax Allison

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The 11 sec ford I believe you speak of has a cummins swapped in. I dont know of any 6.0's in the 11's but there very few duramaxes breaking into the 11's. Big programing+NO2= :smokin

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
My cousin has an 02 dmax crew cab 4x4,loaded lifted 6" on 35" tires.It still gets 17-21 mpg empty.It gets better than my Dodge no doubt about it,although i have 4.10s and he has 3.73. The duramax is good on fuel,in most cases. Phillip is there an 11 sec Duramax ? The fastest i knew if was the ATS duramax,but it went Kaboom in the mid 12's.It was running twin turbos,nitrous,and propane. i seen it run a 12.72 at 105 in Muncie this yr i was hoping to line up against him,but the rain decided to ruin that kill for me:( . The 11 sec Ford is defintely a 12 Valve twin turbo 5.9 cummins diesel.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Mike tomac just broke into the 11's with programing and no2(and a built alli to handle it), all stock hard parts

check dieselplace.com

ATS's truck seemed to run slow for the $$$ and work they dumped into it. And the weight of it. Mikes truck is a crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 03' Duramax/allison with 31500miles on it and get
City driving 16-18mpg
Highway @ 65mph = 23mpg
Towing 20' Enclosed trailer 16 mpg

I love the truck and the engine!

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanx,. bet it plow great, and handles the loaded spreader nice too

I know I am getting around 10 or 11 MPG with my 6.0 gas 2500HD but the truck has been great to me, that is why I am thinking about a 3500 DRW with the D/A

·
Registered
85 Posts
Fuel mileage would still be up there I bet w/ a DRW 3500. Do you want a SRW 3500 or do you want a DRW? I do believe they are available in 3500 SRW now.

Plows great and handles the loader sander without a problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts