Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last storm we had here was a 12" event. Then after cleanup, 1 day later we had freezing rain. After about 2 hrs of this it changed to all rain and got up to 38 degrees. Then as soon as sunset came it got so damn cold. I made 2 or 3 salt applications through the morning to combat the freezing rain. Then that evening I scraped up al the slush late to keep from having frozen rutty lots. My question, how would you prevent this situation from happening? I ended up salting again early the next morning. Any input? Thanks

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Well there is not a whole lot you can do about it. I think what you did was about the only thing you can really do. I would have salted the lot heavily directly after plowing the slush up

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
What you described is exactly what I have done in similar situations. Now, where is that dumb question you promised in the thread title?? I was looking forward to a little fun. :p

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
BRL said:
Now, where is that dumb question you promised in the thread title?? I was looking forward to a little fun. :p
Yes. I was going to put "Dumb answer ...."

I got the same conditions. Except that in my situation I did nothing after plowing the last storm. Checked all the stuff I have which is packed gravel. When people drove on it, it would start melting with the 40° weather. I thought I might get some calls for sanding today with the melting and refreezing. Nothing.

I'd say with lots like you have, you did right.

·
Registered
131 Posts
We have had great result using Magic treated salt and liquid Magic. We have found that even after the storms the residual really helps take care of refreeze problems. Check out the thread about "Not Happy With Caliber 1000" in the deice forum. (Haven't figured out how to link a thread yet....sorry).
There was a good discussion about the results of various different product applications.

Pete

·
Registered
620 Posts
I agree with Pete regarding the MAGic treated salt. We started using it this year for the first time, and it does leave some residual anti-ice effect on the pavement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts