Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off welcome to the site:D Is anybody out there running a dual oil filter system in their rig? if so I'm looking for advice on how easy to install,problems you ran into,etc,etc.After i ran into a website from some guy who gutted about a hundred oil filters,I'm interested in what people have to say about the pros and cons of a two filter system.I use fram filters and change every 3000 miles or sooner,but after what i found I wont be using frams anymore.Also any AMSOIL users out there? hopefully this post doesnt start a new oil WAR! lmao. also want to say to the boys overseas, KEEP UP THE DAMN FINE WORK! SOME OF US BACK HERE ARE STILL PULLING FOR YOU!

thanks for all inputs,

chris helliar, USAF RETIRED, with a little bit of DESERT STORM sand in my boots still,hoorah!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
What king of truck ? Engine ? What is it used for and how many miles per year ?

I'm glad you found out about Fram filters. ;)

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
You could use a bypass,but it's probably overkill.

Change it with good oil every 3000,and use a good filter,and you will be fine.

If you do add a bypass,a single filter setup would be more than enough.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry i wasnt very specific............

I'm looking at one year oil changes,thats why I'm asking if anyone is using a bypass system now too see if the one year change is actually true too fact or just more mumbo jumbo,the kits seem too be reasonably priced,so somebody out there must have one.

bottom line: 5 quarts conventional oil = $10.00
oil filter $ 5.00
total $15.00
x4 changes a year $60.00

5 quarts synthetic oil = $25.00
oil filter $10.00
total $35.00

x2 changes a year $70.00

so if the one year oil change is achievable with a bypass system,one would think that it is cheaper in the long run,especially if engine wear is basically the same,jmo.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
It works out to be similar in price,with the synthetic being slightly higher sometimes.If you have oil leaks,oil consumption,or engine problems,it all goes out the window.

Even with synthetic oil,you still have to change the main oil and bypass filters at regular intervals,as they are what is getting dirty,not the oil.You also need to add oil to replace whet was in the filters when they get changed (2 quarts),and a quart of top up oil between changes.

You also need a really good synthetic formulated for extended drains,which may be more expensive as well.

So if you update your calculations,with all the required filters,and extra oil,it's more expensive isn't it ? You will be getting better protection,but it may be overkill for your applications.
Semi-synthetic oil is a better option,changed at regular intervals.It is only a little more expensive,and gives you almost all the benefits of synthetics.

·
AKA "Iceman"
821 Posts
Ok, whats the skinny of Fram filters, I have used them a quite awhile and have never had any problems.

Is there something you guys know that I don't?

:confused:

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
cj,if you use an amsoil BP100 bypass setup,and any good full flow oil filter,you can go once a yr easily.Heck you could probably not ever change the oil again,BUT like wyldman said ,any problems or an engine that leaks,or comsumes oil,it will leak more with synthetic,and the make up oil price,and filter prices cost way more that the savings of not changing the oil.If you really want this,and the engine it tight,no leaks,and it dont burn oil,then go ahead and buy it all,just dont plan in saving any money at all in the long run.

I was going to do this to my Dodge when i got it,but i added it up and it doesnt pay,also the Cummins last longer than the truck anyway on reg old 15w40.
Jeff,stay away from fram filters,they are very low quality.there are a lot of good filters out there,for about the same money.Cut one apart,take a look at whats inside,now cut apart a Wix/Napa/purolator,you wont be happy.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Fram filters are garbage.Just pick one up and compare it to a quality filter and you see,and feel the difference.

They are the number one selling filter only due to marketing.

I use them at the shop,as i am forced to.That's what the customer wants,and asks for by name.One of the few times they don't listen to my profesional opinion.

I do not use them on my own stuff,and I never will

NEVER use a Fram on a Cummins Diesel,as they come apart and do major engine damage.

I have a link to an oil filter study somewhere,let me go dig it up.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Bosch make good stuff,including filters.I believe they are the OEM supplier to a lot of European manufacturers.

There are a lot of "fake" Bosch parts floating around.Same box,same part number,even looks the same,but cheap internals.I have had a lot of problems with electronic and tune up parts.Not sure about the oil filters,but i'm sure they would be easy to clone too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ALRIGHT NOW WE GOT THE OIL PUMPING! LOL!

ok ok you kicked my azz again wyldman! rethinking it your most likely right on the overkill,but in my defense i was looking for someone whos tried the system and what theyre results were,just curious mainly,but in my www travels i did find out alot more about filters than i never new,the question was asked earlier WHY DO FRAMS SUCK? well reasons are a few,heres what i found,all filters have flow holes, some less than others,which lets the oil not flow as fast,then theres the element filter itself,how its made,and how much of it there actually is,and how dense it is,then there is a bypass diaphram,which is only suposed to open in case of filter blockage or failure,which depending on what they are made of they can warp,letting oil get past unfiltered to engine,fram among others is one of these filters,i havent looked at wyldmans site yet,i found one too,pretty interesting stuff,i'll find mine and post it too.

and wyldman i have been using durablends since they came out,never jumped to the full synthetics because of what you mentioned earlier,heard too much about seals leaking,when they werent originally before the switch,could have something to do with engine flush though, if it was used also,possibility maybe?

but hey thats what we're here for to learn off each other:D thanks dudes:D

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I have used several bypass systems on my trucks,and found it was just overkill.I didn't like them either as some can be very noisy.

The sound of the engine forcing the cold oil through the small lines and the filter will drive you nuts on certain vehicles.

Synthetics will not cause seal problem on most vehicles.It may cause additional leakage on some vehicles that had a small seal leak to begin with,as the viscosity of most synthetics is slightly lower than a conventional oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
by the way how many posts i gotta do anyway to get back to being a member again? something about being a junior just aint right! lmao!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts