Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me find some inexpensive driveway stakes??? Most of my highbrow commercial accounts require them it can get a lil pricey!!!!!:headwall :headwall

·
Registered
400 Posts
We al;so use PVC or electrial conduit. 10' is aroun $ 1.40, we get 3 stakes out of it. Paint it red or green. I've been using these now for around 5 years, was first in area It's amazing now how many you see. My wife made a comment the other day how so many people have taken my idea.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Castle - we just got 1000 of Angelo's stakes, and have installed about 1/2 of them so far. Don't be fooled by the 1/4" width. They are very sturdy, and once installed will take a good deal of punishment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used 1/2" pvc pipe cut into 4 ft lenghts with tape at the tops. It was cheaper to buy a 20' section than it was for a 10' when i bought in bulk. I found that Lowes sells 20' lengths of 1/2" pvc for $1.60 while they sell 10' lengths for $1.38.
I got 5 sections from a 20' while only 4 from 2 10' sections with 2 2' sections left over. So it was 32c per stake for the 20' piece vs. .69c per stake for the 10' piece with leftover pvc from the cut off ends. I guess you could make the stakes 5' with no waste, but when you can buy 10 extra ft for 22c more, why bother with 5'?

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
The PVC or conduit work best and as mentioned are most cost effective. Just don't use anything that is metal. A guy here used foundation pins and did not realize during one storm that he had shifted one, somehow it ended up through his door panel.

·
Registered
609 Posts
John Banks said:
The PVC or conduit work best and as. Just don't use anything that is metal.
last time I checked conduit was steel

the angelos markers are a good deal and rarely break. I broke 4 or 5 last year out of the 100 that I put in, once was because I backed over it and the other four were from pushing piles back and they broke.

for the price you cant beat it, I plan to order 100 more

·
Registered
434 Posts
Using PVC and or Conduit is to much of a liability, IMO. I used to use PVC with all my driveway accounts. When it gets realy cold, they get brittle, and break easily! When they break, you have a very sharp object, just waiting for someone to step on it, come summertime. It is hard to find broken PVC stake locations in the spring. And if found, they are very hard to get out of the ground after they have cracked off at grade.

As for conduit, I have used it on commercial properties with good results. But in residential work, I would not use them due to potential damages to any vehical that strikes them.

Chuck B.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah last year we used the pvc and painted them with orange marking paint. I thought they looked a lil cheap. I think we might go with the ones from Angelo's. Thanks everyone.:cool:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got 200 from Angelos a few weeks ago.

Last year I used the 1/4 plastic ones.............junk!!!

The ones from Angelos are fine.......for the money you can't beat it.

Mark

·
Registered
413 Posts
We use 1" PVC for residenital drives. We put orange reflective tape on top and a cap. The cap adds a little cost, but makes the stake look a little nicer in my opinion. I started with 10' pieces cut into two 5' lengths. The PVC is flexible which is nice. The problem we've had is broken mirrors. Driving past the PVC the stake will move and won't break the mirror, it's on the rebound when it snaps back that if you're not moving fast enough or you stop, that 5' pole will snap back and crack a mirror. We've now cut all of ours down to 4'. We won't have the height which was nice since you could see the stakes over the bed of the truck, but I'll take the reduced visability over broken mirrors.

For commerical I've tried everything. I consider the commercial stakes almost throw aways by the end of the season. I recently bought some of Angelo's stakes, we'll see how they hold up. I'm a little concerned with visability. Perhaps we'll be putting a stip of reflective tape on top of them as well.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Big Nate's Plowing said:
last time I checked conduit was steel

You need to check again again because there are several different types of plastic or pvc conduit on the market.

Ray

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I have my customers put the stakes in . I too have thought about kids playing in the snow and somehow falling on a broken stake . I dont want to go down that road :( . if I break one I try to pull it out if I cant I break it flush

1 - 16 of 16 Posts