Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out after the storm. Which ended after 4 Pm And just got home. But when i showed up to one of my accounts it was already done. He signed a contract should i charge him anyway or what. I will be calling him tommorow. To see whats up I may just say you breeched your contract and it will be terminated.
This is a first for me ive been plowing for a # of years and this is a first. And you get a feeling like you didnt do your job when that happens.

Rich:burnout

·
Registered
609 Posts
defanantly charge for drive time! and make sure that he knows any more "phantom plowings" and you contract will be NULL

unfortunantly this is why I do not do residential drives anymore unless I know the person

·
Registered
243 Posts
could just be a neighbor got a new plow and is doing all his neighbors for free to help them out.

Or it could be he was exspecting you sooner.

When I used to do driveways If it was done when I got there I would push it again and still send them a bill.(I always made lots of noise so they knew I was there.) Whats fair is fair if you have an agreement (unless your really late or did a bad job Last time) they should pay.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
A few years ago I had that happen on a fairly routine basis. The first time really threw me cause I wasn't late or anything (I'd get there before 7:00AM). Turned out the guy had gotten a tractor and plow. He just wanted to try it out. Then he got to having fun with it - before he knew it, it was done. He had no problem with paying me. Kept paying me to make sure I did come to make sure it was plowed. He just wanted to get out and play with that tractor whenever he felt like it and quit when he wanted. I'd come and do whatever he hadn't. Then I had another guy on a private road who wanted to play around with his tractor. He'd have me leave some. I'd just make sure a car could get through and that there were some small banks that "needed pushed back".

Just don't jump to conclusions before you've heard what he has to say.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I have had driveways already plowed to. It usually turns out to be someone screwing up and doing the wrong drive . I will make sure it is done to my standards and of course I bill the customer

·
Registered
905 Posts
I actually told my own mother i wouldn't plow her driveway once this year(hear me out now!)She's probably 20 minutes away from me and plowing is included in the rent(good deal aye?)well anyways i happened to be there when the snow slowed up and she asked me to plow and i explained how there is NOTHING more annoying then showing up to an account only to find it done:mad: I think she really thought that i would do it anyways,imagine her suprise when i got in the truck and drove off:eek: LOL!,Hey,the plow guy was there within an hour anyways:p

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I'd call the owner and see what was up if he had some one else plow it i would say i would still have to charge him per the contract .

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would be worried about finding some kind of damage caused by the "other" guy and the home owner blaming me for it.:beatsme

Had 1 guy write on his contract "Must plow by 6 AM" I got over to it by 5:30 and guess what. Not just once but 3 out of 5 times. I called him and he said guy next door did it.

I told him he would get charged for a plow each time I came to plow and found it already done, unless he called and told me in advance. He understood.

I still had several more of those trips and I charged him full price.

It took me till June to get paid for the last 2 plows.

Good Luck

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
I have ended up on both sides of this issue.

1st- I showed up to a location 1st snow fall this year, new client to me this year and the lot was plowed. Next day I called the client rep for whom I plow about 8 other locations all which were not plowed when I arrived. Well while talking to the rep he three-way called the store manager and found out one of the employees plowed the lot and would get paid cash out of the draw or take time off in place the plowing, well he ended the call with me after telling me the account was mine and I would be paid for the service call for my time and trouble. We can only guess what was said to the manager.

2nd- while one of my trucks was on location at a BP station a CVS store accross the street calls the number on the side of the truck and wants us to plow his lot. Knowing that plowing for CVS is mostly handled by SMG I made it clear that he should make all attempts to contact his assigned service provider. He told me he was trying that for two hours was told he could not get to talk to anyone until Monday morning, and it was Saturday afternoon. He even called his boss who told him to find someone and get the lot plowed NOW. We did the job as a one time plow and got paid cash. The manager said he would handle it with SMG.

So you just never know what the deal is.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I would call the customer and try to find out what happened mabye a friend or neibor got ambisious and it was a one time thing. mabye he deicided he was going to use another contractor ... whe you talk to him and find out what happened also im not sure how your contract is set up asfar as termination on the clients behalf for them to say htey changed providors but it could happen somebody might have lowballed you. But you should also be paid for your time explain that you are contracted to do the work and that even it it is done on a random basis if you come that he will be charged... also the others brought up a good point if you go and see that that has happened drop your blade and do some cleanup then bill them... you did your job... also before you plow look for damaged stuff this way you can document it as not being you before you even drop you blade... of all things this is the most important to do becuase you dont want to end up paying for someone elses mistake.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had a plow put on this year primarily for my own driveway.

My father's house is on my way to work, so I always stop by and clear his driveway; he doesn't even realize it.

He has someone plow his driveway; does a great job, but sometimes I beat him there in the morning and he probably wonders who is doing the plowing.

I don't want my father to be left with nobody plowing him in case
my truck breaks down, which is the reason that I don't tell him that I'm doing this. He ends up with "double coverage"

So...your case may something similar; just someone helping someone out as opposed to someone trying to take your client.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
seville009, you may not want your father to know but contact the plow guy and let him know what you're doing. Make some arrangement so he knows when you do it or he goes ahead and bills anyway. You can see from the posts above how your father could wind up in a real mess.

·
Registered
163 Posts
****;

My father pays seasonal, so it doesn't affect the plow guy financially. No real issue regarding potential damage; if
I damage something, then it's my responsbility. It's just a tiny driveway at the end of a dead end, so it's a real simple one (he doesn't even get any snow from the highway plow, because he's on the left side of the dead end - that alway's pissed off his neighbor on the other side of the dead end!)

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I am with most of the reply's here. I would call the customer and ask them what's going on and mention that if it continues you will be more than happy to bill him as per your contract.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I agree with checking and documenting for damage when this happens . THe only problem would be hidden damage that becomes evident in the spring .

·
Registered
8 Posts
We had this happen twice this season however the first time we caught the perp in the act, it was the friendly neighbour with the snowblower doing the customers driveway and he was about three quarters done when we arrived, I stopped him right away and explaned that he was violating my contract with the customer and also explaned that there was a liability factor involved and as soon as I mentioned insurance he was gone like a shot, it was really funny, all we saw was the rear of the snowblower flying down the road, we finished the job and made sure that it was done to our specs and billed the customer for the full amount, the second time was the friendly neighbour with a bobcat loader, we are only servicing this customer on a call in basis due to personal reasons and she had called us early that morning and we were almost ready to head out and plow the drive however she called us back and told us that her neighbour did her drive and then knocked and told her of the fact and she was pretty upset and told him so and called me back and let me know not to come but I could still bill her since she had called me earlier.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If a contract was signed, then charge them for plowing, regardless if you actually did plow or not.
I had the same problem when doing lawn care, but I always charged the customer, and always received payment.
A contract is a contract.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts