Snowplow Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
ManForAll said:
One potential help with requirement of putting the city/state on the trucks. Here in Michigan at least, you can register your logo with the state and get it "service marked" like a trademark. As long as you do this, there is no requirement to put a city and state on the truck in any size lettering. You just have to keep a copy of the state paperwork in the vehicle in case motor carrier pulls you over, and around here they do ALL the time.

For you Michigan guys, I believe the lettering requirement here is 3 inches high.
You do have to have a phone number for Dept of Ag if doing any pesticide or fert apps, though.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
dapgar said:
personally, i can see where you guys are coming from that have larger trucks and pull trailers, which look to anyone as being commercial, but like brendan said, you think all the guys out there with one ton trucks with plows or even doing constuction like me, are going to have these numbers on the sides of their trucks. i never have gotten bothered by a cop or a checkpoint for commercial vehicles. they always nail the guys with trailers hauling skid steers, or larger 450s and up with dumps on them. or just the large dumps and triaxles.
My pickup is lettered and is registered commercially. it's registered for 12,500, but the GVW from the factory is 11,400
I might get these numbers but it just seems like a waste. most pickups don't really stand out as COMMERICAL vehicles to cops or anyone else checking because there are so many NONE commercial pickups out there.

i don't think i've seen one 1ton pickup with these dot #'s on them at all. only larger trucks.
You'll be ok till you hook to a trailer. Your registered gcvw on your registration has to include the truck AND the weight you plan to tow. Ie... My 3/4 ton is registered for 26000 gcvw. I can hook to any trailer and am covered for weight.

I may be overweight, but they have to pull the scales out to prove that, and thats less likely to happen. With dot #'s on the side and the max weight on the registaration, I'm banking on them say "Oh, you're all set, you're registered for the maximum weight and have dot #'s plastered on the side of your truck, move on so we can nail this poor slob in the shiny new F450 behind you without his dot #'s."

I've had them pull me in before and say similar things about weight etc... When they do a paperwok stop, if everything looks ok paperwork wise, they send you on your way. If you have something that sends up a red flag with your paperwork, bend over, the scope is coming out.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I just got off the phone with Maine dot.

If I don't cross state lines, Maine DOES NOT require dot #'s unless your a hazmat hauler.

My pick-up needs to display dot #'s because I cross state lines and am registered for over 10,000. My dump truck does not need them, as I don't cross state lines, although they said I'm welcome to display them, and I will. Apparently, Maine hasn't done like NY and required them yet.

I don't need fuel stickers for the pick-up, as I'm under 26001 lbs. My dump truck does as it's 33000 lbs. Kind of weird, if you think of it. Why can't this be more uniform?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
and to further muddy the waters, in MN, the truck doesn't register for GCVW, only GVW. I've got a 15k plate, (just upgraded from a 12k plate- same price, why not?) So as long as the tongue/pin weight of whatever trailer I pull doesn't put me over 15k *on the truck* I've paid enough money for registration. I've seen trucks in other states with BIG registration number on the plates- always made me wonder.

Then there's indiana- my BIL has a 6,000 plate on a crew cab diesel F350. Can't really figure out why, but it seems all the other 1-tons in town are the same way...:huh

·
Banned
1,659 Posts
Alan,

when I purchased my truck, I asked the NJ dept of motor vehicles about how much to register this truck for, commercially, because i wanted to pull a trailer some of the time. they told me the trailer I get, will have a separate registration and it's weight listed on that. and that i don't combine the two together on the trucks registration. originally i was going to register my new truck for like 20k. so i could pull about a 10k trailer without a problem. but theywouldn't let me do that in NJ. not sure how the feds are about trailers

i've also heard locally of guys getting nailed for driving NJ DIESEL commercial vehicles into PA and getting fine for not having federal fuel stickers on them.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - SPONSOR
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
dapgar said:
Alan,

when I purchased my truck, I asked the NJ dept of motor vehicles about how much to register this truck for, commercially, because i wanted to pull a trailer some of the time. they told me the trailer I get, will have a separate registration and it's weight listed on that. and that i don't combine the two together on the trucks registration. originally i was going to register my new truck for like 20k. so i could pull about a 10k trailer without a problem. but theywouldn't let me do that in NJ. not sure how the feds are about trailers

i've also heard locally of guys getting nailed for driving NJ DIESEL commercial vehicles into PA and getting fine for not having federal fuel stickers on them.

It is fine to drive a Diesel Vehicle with commercial tags accross state lines without an IFTA sticker so long as the vehicle is not being used as a commercial vehicle "income". My Diesel pickup goes into all the Northeast States without a problem. Once it is being used for commercial purposes (signs, DOT Numbers , earning income) It is required to have an IFTA Sticker.

Like many of the guys have said, if you use magnetic signs for a vehicle you share between personal and business you are better off because a business commercial vehicle has different requirements than the same vehicle used as a personal vehicle.

As far as your tags go it usually depends on the same thing. If you have a personal vehicle you register it for its GVW(maximum Gross Vehicle Weight) and the trailer registration covers itself. However in the world of commercial vehicles you typicaly register it for the GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating)

Thats the problem with the vehicles over 10K that everyone wanted to run out to buy. The did so blindly without realizing all the effects that the different vehicle class would cause them when they went up in size. This is the exact reason why you can get a F-450 and F-550 even a 650 (and the same for other brands in those classes with a Pickup bed on them.

·
Banned
1,659 Posts
i specifically had them ask the NJ dmv about Commercial trailer towing and how to register it, and was still told that i need a separate registration showing the weight of the trailer and it do not get added to the vehicle weight. so i hope that someone wasn't lying down at the dmv. or i'll have to re-register my new truck someday when i start pulling a trailer with it.

·
Registered
908 Posts
BRUNSWICK CONCRETE said:
Since most companies are getting legal , cant wait to see the lines at DOT check points this summer. Something has to give .

Your not going to have to wait until summer, those boys were out working like crazy as soon as it warmed up.

The big thing that ive noticed them checking for is,

Off Road Fuel,

pull to the side, they dip your tank and off you go.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Price is up, guys are trying to get away with it. Personnally, I wish they'd check more, why should I pay the tax while my competition is running around with fuel that's 70 cents per gallon cheaper, always'd PMO.:( :mad:

·
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
atgreene said:
Price is up, guys are trying to get away with it. Personnally, I wish they'd check more, why should I pay the tax while my competition is running around with fuel that's 70 cents per gallon cheaper, always'd PMO.:( :mad:
Alan
I agree. I keep 330 gallons of off road and 550 of on road and have been very specific with the guys about using it in the proper vehicles. I told them all that the fine belongs to them as far as payment if they put the dyed fuel in a road vehicle.
We do use dyed fuel in our one deisel that never leaves the lot which it plows because it NEVER is used on the road except the 2 miles to and from the lot to the shop in the spring and fall. I suppose they could bust me for that but the trip is made under the cover of darkness but I suppose the could stop by and check it on the lot if they wanted to since it is registered.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Fuel Tax Sticker?

In NJ you don't need an IFTA sticker unless the vehicle is over 26,000lbs and is going over the state line. If this heavier CDL driven truck (over 26,000) crosses the state line it will also need a multi-state registration.

If the specific truck going over the state line is under 26,000, the IFTA sticker is not needed.

Jake

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
jakegypsum said:
In NJ you don't need an IFTA sticker unless the vehicle is over 26,000lbs and is going over the state line. If this heavier CDL driven truck (over 26,000) crosses the state line it will also need a multi-state registration.

If the specific truck going over the state line is under 26,000, the IFTA sticker is not needed.

Jake

If you put a trailer on a unit under 26k and the combined gross weight is over 26k that combination requires stickers.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Big Dog D said:
If you put a trailer on a unit under 26k and the combined gross weight is over 26k that combination requires stickers.
I agree!

This then brings up another question. If the combined weight of truck and trailer is over 26,000lbs, do you need a multi-state registration of some sort?

Jake

·
Registered
75 Posts
Browsing and came across this old thread.

I was pulled into a portable scale/truck check yesterday. My weight was 10,460 lbs. I was in my F-350 and had the bed full of landscaping and general construction crap.

My truck is fully lettered and I had all of the paperwork. I was under my registered weight of 12,500 lbs and under the combined capacity of my tires. (they checked them twice) The officer said that I would have been up the creek if I didnt have my DOT #'s.

I asked him if the new 10,001lb regulation covered only a single vehicle or combination vehicle. He said that anytime a vehicle is used in the generation of revenue and weighs 10,001 lbs or more, combination or single vehicle, that the DOT rules apply.

I was also stopped once last winter for being overwidth with my plow and wings. I took the wings off and he let me go with just a few stern words. I guess he didnt have anything better to do.

·
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I was also stopped once last winter for being overwidth with my plow and wings. I took the wings off and he let me go with just a few stern words. I guess he didnt have anything better to do.
Quite honestly he was doing his job. The law reads that 102" wide is a maximum width. Thats why a 9'2" V is just under 8'6" when pulled back to a V position or fully angled so that it can be transported legally. My F550 with a full front mounted wing and 10 foot main carries an overwidth permit to be legal because even with the wing pulled all the way in and the main blade angled it is 10'6" wide. If you are going to try and get by without one just be warned that they sometimes look the other way but are not required too. If he let you go and you were to go 10 minutes down the road and get in a wreck and got measured he would have some tall explaining to do... and so would you. Plows are not exempt

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quite honestly he was doing his job. The law reads that 102" wide is a maximum width. Thats why a 9'2" V is just under 8'6" when pulled back to a V position or fully angled so that it can be transported legally. My F550 with a full front mounted wing and 10 foot main carries an overwidth permit to be legal because even with the wing pulled all the way in and the main blade angled it is 10'6" wide. If you are going to try and get by without one just be warned that they sometimes look the other way but are not required too. If he let you go and you were to go 10 minutes down the road and get in a wreck and got measured he would have some tall explaining to do... and so would you. Plows are not exempt
I know he has a job to do, but at 3 in the morning? With 50 other plow trucks running around at the same width that I was?

Either way, the wings come off when I use the interstate. A few minutes of removal/install time is definately not worth any ticket.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts