Snowplow Forums banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
cat320 said:
Well there should be a special section that you can log onto on the web to get the specific info on what trucks need and just in plain english not 5 paragrapghs of BS.

The other thing when you buy a new truck that requires all this dot stuff it should be up to the dealer ,insurance ,or registry to make sure you have the right infor ,size color what ever you need to be legal . Because hey what do I know i'm just a small guy buying one big truck and not an inerstate trucking firm orbig co that would know this stuff from being visted by the DOT.
Yeah, and now it's time for you to wake up from your dream, Rick. ;)

Come on, our Sec'y of State's office\personnel can't even tell you which tests to take when you go for a CDL. You have to know before hand. That's what ticks me off, too many rules, regulations, laws, etc that are either not complimentary or conflict with each other. That's why I just try to do my best because it's impossible for any company of any size to truly obey and follow every single law and regulation out there.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I got a better idea every truck off the line over that 10K gvw should have a dot # molded on the side that way it's there with every truck lol no paper work no forgeting to ask or not knowing if it needs to be there lol .

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - SPONSOR
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Mark Oomkes said:
I just figure that I do my best to try to follow as many rules and regs as possible. I know it isn't possible to obey every one, because of how many there are. So if I get the #'s on them, keep the trucks clean, make sure my equipment isn't moving around at stops and takeoffs, maybe, just maybe they won't hassle me.

But then I'll probably wake up from my dream too. :rolleyes:

Anybody got a link for the free site?
Here you go Mark http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

·
Registered
319 Posts
All i have to say is:headwall Great more BS that you have to go through,as if there isn't enough.

·
Registered
491 Posts
skennedy said:
All i have to say is:headwall Great more BS that you have to go through,as if there isn't enough.
Agreed!

I'm all for safety and keeping things up to snuff, it's just the amount of BS that you need to go through now days to run a commercial truck.
It's never ending. Every year there seems to always be something else added. End result is added costs.

Also, the amount of literature that you need to page through and the language that you need to understand can really boggle the mind!

Jake

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well the big catch here is these costs have to be passed onto our clients.I dont run a bunch of trucks like a lot of guys here, but it all adds up and in the end someone has to pay.All of the BS inspections,time to get this done
etc costs money!!
Im also all for safty and see a lot of guys running around with unsecure loads and don't like to see this,but i i were to do it you can bet i would get a ticket.:mad:

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
There are a variety of handy support organizations. I use JJ Keller (www.jjkeller.com) who has all the needed compliance stuff, forms, logs, etc.

This is a nationwide deal, and compliance is mostly record keeping.

One very handy investment is their comprehensive book which has both the regulations and the how-to so you don't screw up the records.

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
CGSI said:
Thanks, I think I did the correct one. It was relatively painless.

As usual, nice easy to follow instructions and links on a gov't website. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Stupid government beauracrats. :headwall

·
Registered
491 Posts
Mark Oomkes said:
Thanks, I think I did the correct one. It was relatively painless.

As usual, nice easy to follow instructions and links on a gov't website. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Stupid government beauracrats. :headwall
Mark,

That's exactly how I felt after all was said and done. The "correct" application. Lol :D

Jake

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
The "Who Must Comply" tool has been removed from the FMCSA Web site.
This tool will be replaced by a more comprehensive and user-friendly guide,
which is currently under development.

LOL like that will ever happen

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If I want to get a number. Do I go to the local DMV or would it be easyer to get it from FMCSA? Do they consider landscapers, motor carriers?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
The state can issue you a number. Unless you travel across state lines loaded, you need only pull one with the state suffix.

There is an audit during the first 18 months. Took me about 2 hours to complete, but I had all the paper in hand.

·
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
EIB said:
If I want to get a number. Do I go to the local DMV or would it be easyer to get it from FMCSA? Do they consider landscapers, motor carriers?

In NY you will have to send to Albany for it. The local DMV's do not issue it. FMCSA will take the application online and give you your number immediatley.
If you haul for others you are a motor carrier and depending on what you haul you may need DOT/ICC Authority. If all you haul is your own equipment and product you will not need authority.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
There are only 2 problems as I see it

lawyers and politicians
The politicians think them up, and then the lawyers write it so no one can understand it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just got my #. You guys were right, it was painless and FREE. What bothers me now is that I have to put it on my truck. I currently don't letter my truck and don't want to start. Where have some of you been placing your #s? I was thinking on the side frame rails that are visable from both sides. Occording to their rules, it only has to be clean and visable from 50'. Maybe, i'll uses refelctive numbers on a plate screwed on the rail.

Any thoughts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
pbeering said:
The state can issue you a number. Unless you travel across state lines loaded, you need only pull one with the state suffix.

This is defined as Interstate v. Intrastate. Read how each is defined, as Peter has begun to do and see what's best for your situation.

·
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Pinnacle said:
Just got my #. You guys were right, it was painless and FREE. What bothers me now is that I have to put it on my truck. I currently don't letter my truck and don't want to start. Where have some of you been placing your #s? I was thinking on the side frame rails that are visable from both sides. Occording to their rules, it only has to be clean and visable from 50'. Maybe, i'll uses refelctive numbers on a plate screwed on the rail.

Any thoughts

Part of the law says it has to show company name too so why not just get a set of magnetics if you do not want to be lettered permanently? You can have the numbers on the magnetic signs and only put them on when you are using your truck for commercial duties

·
Registered
491 Posts
pbeering said:

There is an audit during the first 18 months. Took me about 2 hours to complete, but I had all the paper in hand.
Peter,

How involved is the audit? I'm still a little foggy on what exact criteria is needed to be followed? Inspection report? Truck log?

Jake

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
John Banks said:
This is defined as Interstate v. Intrastate. Read how each is defined, as Peter has begun to do and see what's best for your situation.
Reading the FMCSA website, they defined a CMV as over 10k AND engaged in INTERSTATE commerce, unless you're a for-hire motor carrier (get paid to haul cargo) of any weight Intrastate. So my understanding is that these rules only apply if you're a private carrier crossing state lines (part 390.21). And one section says a CMV is only a truck with a GVW over 26k (part 383.5) I could totally be wrong here, but thats how I'm interpreting it. This is also how it was explained to me in a class on this subject in 2004. If they changed something in July to include vehicles over 10k used only in-state, they haven't updated the regs on the site...

·
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
jakegypsum said:
Peter,

How involved is the audit? I'm still a little foggy on what exact criteria is needed to be followed? Inspection report? Truck log?

Jake

Jake
From the site

The safety audit will be conducted by a State or Federal Auditor and will consist of a review of the carrier's safety management system. The areas of review include, but are not limited to, the following:

Driver Qualifications;
Driver Duty Status;
Vehicle Maintenance;
Accident Register; and
Controlled Substances and Alcohol use and testing requirements

21 - 40 of 78 Posts