Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - SPONSOR
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.
Got home 3 weeks ago today and have been very busy with the business which is good. I was in tractor supply the other day and found out that my F-550 was liable to get a 2500 dollar fine because there was no DOT number(either state or federal) on the truck. The 3500 requires it too because it has a GVW and GVCW that meets the requirements.

It seems that all vehicles with aGVW of 10,001 pounds and greater used in any commercial application are now required to have a federal or state DOT number on it as of July 5th 2006. This is totaly new and the last day for any grace period was July 4th. I know 3 people now that got tickets.

Since I am only 15 minutes from Mass and 25 minutes from Conn i went with the federal which is good for interstate and intrastate and meets all requirements for the state law which was only inacted to meet the new federal requirements.

The only drawback to the federal USDOT number is that we are now subject to the Federal safety audits but the state DOT will be doing that if you have the state DOT number.

I was just curious if anybody else had known about this or to let everybody else know about it with trucks over 10,000lbs.
Seems like now if you have a 1 ton or greater there is not much advantage to not have a 26,001 or greater weight if you already have a CDL.

There are places online that will get you the USDOT number within hours for a fee between 25 and 50 bucks and then want to charge you anywhere from 100-250 for the filing of the permit. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. I went online and got the permit for free right from the FMCSA and had the number immediatley.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Have not heard anything about that but if it is true for here to it would be up to the dmv to send out something in writing because that number should be filled with them also i would think.

Welcome back.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
"Seems like now if you have a 1 ton or greater there is not much advantage to not have a 26,001 or greater weight if you already have a CDL."

The first advantage that comes to mind is the registration and insurance fee's from one tons to real commercial trucks. I have asked my insurance agent about the insurance and registration fees for F-800 or L8000 dumps (that I have considered purchasing this year) and let me tell you, I was fairly shocked when he told me what to expect. It was considerably more than the $2800 a year I pay for the f-550. Personally I wouldn't go out and buy a 26001 gvw vehicle due to additional regulations unless the fees were about the same.

·
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cat320 said:
Have not heard anything about that but if it is true for here to it would be up to the dmv to send out something in writing because that number should be filled with them also i would think.

Welcome back.

Thanks Cat
We just registered the truck in Feb and they never mentioned it to us. I got blind sided with it and checked it out and its true. I got it before i got busted though and no I am all set.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Now you would think that one of the agencies would of notified you of this new rule . They act some times like your work for the state and know all this crap that they don't even know about some times.

It's like a cop said to me once when i forgot about the safty sticker on the truck you should be looking to see if it's going to expire. well to me it's only a peice of paper that they want there $$ cut for and does not afect the truck /car . I know i should keep on top of those things but who the hell rememebers about it insurance and stuff comes in the mail and you renuie but how many times do you look at the windo sticker.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Here in nebraska it has been that way for years. I have had to have any truck that could reach a combined gross vehicle wieght of 10,000 lbs or more have a dot number. That means that even a half-ton pickup could need one. thats right. Any time your total wight goes over 10000. Once you get a number they are good on all your vehicles. So I put them on everything I own just to be safe. On a side note. Make sure you can read your name and where you are from also. Just the DOT number wont do it.I got a ticket for having not having "lincoln nebraska" on the side also.

·
Registered
850 Posts
See this thread started in Feb.
http://www.letstalksnow.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12252

Plus it's Gross Vehicle Combined Weight 10,000# and over.
My 3/4 ton with my landscape trailer is well over 10,000#.

I got nailed the other day, everything was cool, except for the fact that my 2.5 gas can did not say OHSA on it. My 5's do but not the little one. He had to let it slide, because the can was empty and dry inside.

One landscaper paid over $1,500 in fines last week for not having DOT #'s, not having approved fuel containers and not having the fuel cans tied down.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Lately the court reports in the paper show Maine DOT has been writing violations for " Failure to display proper vehicle identification". I assume it's DOT #'s. There has been a pile of them for a month or so.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I got a warning... went right home and took care of it...

I need a CDL to tow anything above 6,500 lbs

I need to stop at weigh stations towing anything over 10,000lbs

I needed to change the plates on my vehicle to reflect the fact that I tow over 10,000lbs

Howard

·
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
atgreene said:
Lately the court reports in the paper show Maine DOT has been writing violations for " Failure to display proper vehicle identification". I assume it's DOT #'s. There has been a pile of them for a month or so.

Hi ATA
The local DMV office told a buddy of mine that he was crazy when he went in and asked them but they took his number and said they would research it and get back to him. He got a call an hour later and they told him he was right and that they were sorry that they were so ignorant of the new requirements and that they would start telling people when they come in to register. They also stated it was being done to keep everyone compliant with the federal law that requires this so as it looks it is a federal requirement and everyone should look into it if there vehicle meets the requiements.

I sure am not trying to wind people up for nothing but just trying to save them paying a hefty fine. If your local DMV says that you do not need it ask them to please put something in writing because if not you might get fined.

As far as the other sign requirements with company name and such the feds address that on there website as well. According to the federal law with my new USDOT number added, I am fully compliant.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Great Post!

This really turned out to be a great thread for information. Thanks CGSI!

Today one of my trucks got stopped by the DOT and got a complete check over.

After the officer checked everything out, he stated to my driver that we didn't have a DOT number on the truck.
We have never had a DOT number posted on our trucks in the 40+ years that we have been in business nor have we ever had any problem with any officers in the past due to this subject.

Long story short, there was no fine but just a standard DOT write up stating that we need to rectify this ASAP. Basically get a USDOT number for the company and display it on the door.

The first thing I thought about, (once I heard this from my driver), was that I remembered this thread being posted several months back.

As soon as I had time to go on line later today, I brought up the LTS site and did a search for this peticular thread. Boom!
This thread came right up just as I remembered it.

Once I knew where to go I went right to the FMCSA site and entered all of my information. Approx 20 minutes later I was printing my confirmation and my USDOT number.

Very simple and a big help! (Like hitting the "easy button" at Staples).

Now I just need to have the emblems made up for the trucks.

Thanks again

Jake

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
jakegypsum said:
Now I just need to have the emblems made up for the trucks.

Thanks again

Jake
You likely already know Jake, but those letters have to be a certain size. IIRC it's at least 2" - so they can be seen from 50'. I may be wrong, but it's stated in their spec.

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
S'pose I ought to make work out of getting my trucks lettered. :headwall

·
Registered
491 Posts
John,

Yes. That is correct from what I gather.

I did know years ago that they had to be a certain size so they could be read from a distance.
I just could never understand why it wasn't a pressed subject back then. We never had any problems with DOT officers in the past reguardless of if we crossed the state line or not. The officers may have mentioned it from time to time but it wasn't a big issue.

Of course there were other bigger trucking companies out there that have had DOT numbers for many years.

Jake

·
Registered
491 Posts
Mark Oomkes said:
S'pose I ought to make work out of getting my trucks lettered. :headwall
Mark,

Perhaps if you feel that you may get hasseled due to not having any lettering. It's not worth any future fine or BS.

Heck, up until four years ago I never posted the GVW on any of my trucks!

As for the company logo, that was something we always had lettered on the doors as well as other parts of the vehicle.

Jake

·
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jakegypsum said:
Mark,

Perhaps if you feel that you may get hasseled due to not having any lettering. It's not worth any future fine or BS.

Heck, up until four years ago I never posted the GVW on any of my trucks!

As for the company logo, that was something we always had lettered on the doors as well as other parts of the vehicle.

Jake

Jake
Glad to have been able to help. DOT is flexible on the color and only states that they should contrast with the vehicle and they need to be readable from 50 feet away. 2" is a recommended minimum from them as well.

Glad they did not write you a ticket and just gave you a warning and some time to get it done. Up here that is not happening and they are nailing them hard on the fines.

John

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
I just figure that I do my best to try to follow as many rules and regs as possible. I know it isn't possible to obey every one, because of how many there are. So if I get the #'s on them, keep the trucks clean, make sure my equipment isn't moving around at stops and takeoffs, maybe, just maybe they won't hassle me.

But then I'll probably wake up from my dream too. :rolleyes:

Anybody got a link for the free site?

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Well there should be a special section that you can log onto on the web to get the specific info on what trucks need and just in plain english not 5 paragrapghs of BS.

The other thing when you buy a new truck that requires all this dot stuff it should be up to the dealer ,insurance ,or registry to make sure you have the right infor ,size color what ever you need to be legal . Because hey what do I know i'm just a small guy buying one big truck and not an inerstate trucking firm orbig co that would know this stuff from being visted by the DOT.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts