Snowplow Forums banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
As for fee's comm reg is $160 PER year and comb reg for my single wheel F350 p/u is $218 for two years. Wait into next year when all dmv fee's are going to double!!!! to make up the budget shortfalls.
The only thing DMV can tell your for sure is there closed monday and thur night's there open to 7 pm. Most times it all depends on what person waits on you. You used to be able to under register GVW to save money and they never seemed to figure what you did but now it all done by vin # .

·
Registered
108 Posts
Here in CT, last August, I transfered a combination plate from a 8600 GVW P/U that I sold to my 1 ton dump. The registration is in my name, and I only registered it at 11k GVW, but the clerk never questioned the combination plate. On the CT DMV website they list the fees for combo plates up to 12,500 GVW. The fees for commercial plates and combo plates were about the same, combo plates for me were only $7.00 cheaper over two years, so I don't know what the real advantage is having combo plates. You still can't drive on the Wilbur Cross or Merit parkways even with combo plates if your GVW is over 7500.

Would be nice if everyone in the DMV would get on the same page with registration and CDL regulations.:headwall
It's all about the rule's comb plate's no weight stations, no med card,no fed inspection and the DMV truck squad leave's you alone to go about your life.
Comm plate's when you leave the state they could make you follow all the rules log book's and stuff.
The diffiernce in fee's over two years is $102 plus all the other stuff that goes with the plate not worth it in my eye's but it's the law!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
How can they make home owners who have one ton pickups register a commercial plate? They dont' have a business.:huh:beatsme
It's not about a business it about weight and money from fee's. F350 single wheel pick up did need comm plates due to weight so they changed the law because private people were mad about comm plates and the fee each year

·
Registered
108 Posts
What is a combo plate?
Combination plate's are used on pick ups some passenger cars used commercial. They give you the right to park in loading zones. It also gives you the right to use it commercial and for personel use. Fee's are based on weight. they will not give you passenger plates on a truck over 7800 gvw.

ct reg plates option's
passenger plates CAR only
combination plates (trucks)
commercial plates (over 10,001 gvw)
farm plates (any truck used for farm operations cheaper than comm)

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
Makes me almost proud to say I live in MI after reading all that garbage they make you go through. :grinz

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
no matter were you go there is some kind of B.S. just some places are less complicated than others. Then they want to know why people do thinks not on the up and up because they don't make it easy and there is not one person that can give you the right answer.Not like you can call talk to a person and also get that in writting.
Oh the funny thing with the registry here in MA i emailed them to ask a question for a friend of mine well that was 2 years ago i guess they don't check there email. So much for doing things on the computer and try to call the phone just rings and rings. that is the crap you have to deal with . can any one actually tell me they have had a great experience calling getting thru and haveing some one that nkows something give you the right answer?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mike
Why not go to DMV and get a copy of the section of law that they are telling you that you are not conforming to. Ask them to highlight the areas that they feel you are not getting quite right and then pose specific issues with us so that we can actually try to give you answers that will help you get the truck registered.

Your last statement "I changed my insurance to DBA so thats all set. what else do I need ?" is leaving everything wide open again. I am not tying to be harsh but it sounds like you think the DBA was what it was going to take to fix your problem but now you think there might be more issues you need to deal with.

After you get the list of specifics, post them and lets see if we can figure this out.

John
Well I went to DMV the other day and guess what? I got 3 different answers. one person said I don't need DOT # unless I have more than one truck. person two said I just need the number on the truck no registering the truck with the DOT # . person 3 said i need the number 750 k insurance title & insurance in the company name,full inspection CDL & med card. All trailers must have everything the same way. over 30 gallons of fuel on the trailer needs placarding. even this guy wasn't 100% sure

So I'm totally confused I have know idea what to do. the interstate drivers manual just states to get a DOT number for your business. it says nothing about registring the truck with the number. The second person helping me showed me this in the book.

So what do i do now?

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Well heres my advice and first like Mark said and this is really a stretch it makes me proud to pay Terry Land my money...:D.

Advice Follow the Fed link posted and follow the Reg process for the states that are listed if your set up this way on Judgement day your right by Fed Standards which are just a few bars higher than CT. Its sounds like Larry, Curly, and Moe are running your DMV there.

Someone brought up the crash in the mountians in CT for causing all of this look fellows the Feds have said this for three years and backed it up with crash stats that most of the biggest accidents and Fatals are caused by Class 3-6 trucks so your gonna see before too long the whole lower 48 under the same rules so thats why i suggest you just run the Fed rules and be done with it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
People amaze me sometimes, just amaze me. A H.S. friend of mine who is in the lawn business sent me a message this morning asking about llc's and ect. So I thought he was finally getting smart and c.y.a so I asked about the insurance he was running on his 1/2 work truck and new dump trailer. Personal he says, I suggested he come read up here to get real answers to real questions- he gave an arrogant response.

As I read through this thread I am correct in assuming that even though he has a 1/2 since he is using it to haul material for customers he should have a Dot # and be running commercial veh insurance correct?

Ryan

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
As I read through this thread I am correct in assuming that even though he has a 1/2 since he is using it to haul material for customers he should have a Dot # and be running commercial veh insurance correct?

Ryan
If he is over 10,000 combined,yes to DOT#'s.When running a 1/2 ton alone he doesnt need them though. Commercial insurance of course,if hes working for hire. Personally,I cant seen how he could make any money hauling anything with a 1/2 ton and a dump trailer,unless he's just transporting mulch,and landscape supplies/trees.
A 1/2 ton is totally maxed out with a 10K trailer,7K is a more realistic limit for everyday towing.A 10K dump still only holds 6500-7000 or so at the most,and good luck with that 1/2 ton pulling it regularly ,hot weather will likely overheat the engine and trans if hes working it hard,and the brakes ,esp if the trailers brakes,and controller are not set up right.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts