Snowplow Forums banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
You still need a Classs A for a 10k+ trailer?
Any trailer over 10,001 GVW here needs CDL A (as long as it has no bathroom than it will have camp trailer plates). The trailer will have commicial plates due to weight. Any truck over 10,001 GVW will have comm plates due to weight(F350 singlerear wheels pickups did need comm plates but they changed the law to fix that problem). The only way out of it is farms plates but they are limited to truck uses and you must prove there is a farm.

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
you only need to stop for weigh station in CT if you have commercial plates(truck or trailer. Tow a trailer with truck with comb plates and comm on trailer you must stop) Most times they just wave you thur. If you drive past your fines are double.
as or DOT numbers in ct. your 1 ton (or any truck with commercial plates)must have them displayed with company name if your combine weight (trailer and truck is over 18,000 and has comm plates .don't forget CDL A for trailers over 10,001. just try to get one with a truck under 26,001 but you need it!! Make sure both have proper reg comm plates are required for trailers here if towed by comm plated truck.
Any truck with comm plates require fed inspection sticker on truck and trailer with comm plates. $225 dollor fine got one last year
So long and short commercial plates set the rules any COMBINED weight above 18,000 they need to be displayed. i have them and place magnete signs with numbers only when i tow my trailer than take them off. You need to keep maintance records for the comm plated trucks no matter what weight you could be called for a safety adit just for having DOT numbers. Best of luck .
Maybe a link to the CT law only requiring it at 18K would help us out of staters that are having a hard time understanding this one, since the rest of the country is anything over 10,001 must have DOT numbers, not necessarily displayed as that part is on a state by state basis if you look at the link Mick posted.

Here it is again:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/registration-USDOT.htm

And it's sort of ironic, because CT is not listed as a state requiring DOT numbers for commercial vehicles.

And Rick\cat320 is correct, this is stupid and should be all taken care of in one place. I have never been asked by the Sec State of Michigan for a DOT number when registering any of my vehicles and they are all registered to my company. That's from my Jeep to a F750.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Maybe a link to the CT law only requiring it at 18K would help us out of staters that are having a hard time understanding this one, since the rest of the country is anything over 10,001 must have DOT numbers, not necessarily displayed as that part is on a state by state basis if you look at the link Mick posted.

Here it is again:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/registration-USDOT.htm

And it's sort of ironic, because CT is not listed as a state requiring DOT numbers for commercial vehicles.

And Rick\cat320 is correct, this is stupid and should be all taken care of in one place. I have never been asked by the Sec State of Michigan for a DOT number when registering any of my vehicles and they are all registered to my company. That's from my Jeep to a F750.
Ct is a mess when it comes to DMV. Each time you ask a diffrent person a question the answer is diffrent. This the answer i got from a sargent from CSP truck squad (not the same as DMV truck squad but do the samething!!) He states dot numbers are need in any comm reg truck over 10,000 gvw but don't need to be displayed into GCVW of 18,000 is reached any truck over 26,001 gvw needs them posted at all times. He explained in ct DMV has 4 diffirent options for rules to follow ct state status,fed motor carrier,exeutive order from governers office and executive orders from comm of DMV each one can carry fines for not following them. so depending on which book they read you can be right and wrong at the sametime go figure. A firetruck over 26,001 gvw is listed as a Non CDL truck under state law so no CDL is needed to drive it by the authory having juristion in there city or town limits. If you leave town now it's a CDL truck so dot numbers,truck must be registered and all the other stuff is needed. We have a Q2 lisence it the same as CDL to cover non CDL trucks but it's not law but an exeutive order by DMV comm. So sometimes it's CDL and others it's not CDL! You need a CDL to drive it but you can'nt take the CDL test on the truck due to non CDL truck. They have no idea what they are doing but after the avon mountian crash they all think now need to do something and fast.
They are tring to make all trucks over 10,000 gvw a CDL truck it came before state last session but they ran out of time to vote on it. Than the whole problem of dot numbers goes away all trucks will need to display them problem solved so they think.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Here is what happened to me:

2 years ago I was pulling my 14,000lb trailer with my 6500 (GVR 25,950). I was pulled over because one of the chains came loose. Anyway. After some sweet talking and droppig a ton of names I got out of it BUT He would not let me pull the trailer home. He said I needed a Class A lic. I told him I had a F450, He asked me what the rating on that was. I told him 15,000lbs. He said no because the total Combo GVWR was over 26,000lbs. I told him I had a 2500HD rating of 9500 or somthing. He said that would be fine. I could pull the trailer that was rated over 10,001 lbs only with the pickup omg. The ass of the pick up was on the ground literly. But that was save. He told me that if the trailer was 10,000lbs or less I didn't need to worry even though the combo GVWR was over 26,000lbs.......In the manual it is very "grey" It is open to interpretation. If you are at the limit. Get your Class A now. While it is still easy. I can get you a name of someone that can go though it with you. She is great. you use her truck. In a few years it will be very difficult!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Here is what happened to me:

2 years ago I was pulling my 14,000lb trailer with my 6500 (GVR 25,950). I was pulled over because one of the chains came loose. Anyway. After some sweet talking and droppig a ton of names I got out of it BUT He would not let me pull the trailer home. He said I needed a Class A lic. I told him I had a F450, He asked me what the rating on that was. I told him 15,000lbs. He said no because the total Combo GVWR was over 26,000lbs. I told him I had a 2500HD rating of 9500 or somthing. He said that would be fine. I could pull the trailer that was rated over 10,001 lbs only with the pickup omg. The ass of the pick up was on the ground literly. But that was save. He told me that if the trailer was 10,000lbs or less I didn't need to worry even though the combo GVWR was over 26,000lbs.......In the manual it is very "grey" It is open to interpretation. If you are at the limit. Get your Class A now. While it is still easy. I can get you a name of someone that can go though it with you. She is great. you use her truck. In a few years it will be very difficult!
I have thought of that before that you can pull it with a little pickup but not a bigger truck that can handle it better

But hey there has to be a limit somewhere right?

I looked in your states CDl manual and it really isn't a grey area it is the same as our regulations

Unless ther is more than what your book says

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
The problem for Ct or any other state not listed is there is no parady which is gonna make mass confusion for you guys.

My advice is work off the Fed guide lines and you would be far safer.

Like Mark said the State of Mich cant even tie there own shoes right now let along have our Sec of States office start handling DOT numbers :eek:. The last time i was there was in the fall trying to transfer the title from that Mass F550 Wrecker i bought because in Mass the Title can say Cab and Chassis and our State it must state that it was a complete build "Upfitt" i had to argue with basicly a Rock with Lips for better than 20 mins that the truck was a 02 and i could assure her if she peeked out the window it was a wrecker and not a cab with frame rails and bolt on taillights...:rolleyes:.

Again if you use the Feds web site and run that guide line for the non issue states you guys would be fine.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
trying to transfer the title from that Mass F550 Wrecker i bought because in Mass the Title can say Cab and Chassis
Funny you mention that. My title I got for the int 4900 (bought in Mass) for model name it says dump, says nothing for model # and for body style/type it says truck:popcorn2

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
well had the other truck inspected and I was talking with the inpection guy and we where talking about the sticker being used as a dot number has the bar cod on there

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well everything is so screwed up in this state. my friend just told me unless your a fleet of trucks.. more than one you need DOTs. he doesn't run any DOT # on his 1 tons. He said as long as you stay in state it's not required.

However my other friend was pulled over last year with his 1 ton and 16 ft trailer and they told him he needed DOT #.

What forms do you need to change over the registration. There is nothing on the CT DMV site on how to do this.

I'm just going to take mine off until someone can give me a straight answer on how to do this. the title is in my name which cannot be changed. The truck is registered in my name. the insurance for the truck is registered in the company name.

This is all thanks to the AVON Mountain A HOLE. Thanks alot I hope you become someones you know what in jail !!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well everything is so screwed up in this state. my friend just told me unless your a fleet of trucks.. more than one you need DOTs. he doesn't run any DOT # on his 1 tons. He said as long as you stay in state it's not required.

However my other friend was pulled over last year with his 1 ton and 16 ft trailer and they told him he needed DOT #.

What forms do you need to change over the registration. There is nothing on the CT DMV site on how to do this.

I'm just going to take mine off until someone can give me a straight answer on how to do this. the title is in my name which cannot be changed. The truck is registered in my name. the insurance for the truck is registered in the company name.

This is all thanks to the AVON Mountain A HOLE. Thanks alot I hope you become someones you know what in jail !!
In ct to change reg status you need to due the following
1. comm plates can not be changed to comb plates if gvw s over 10,000 no way around that.
2.comb plates to comm plates no problems you just need to sale it on paper back to your self and pays sales tax!!!
3. any change is reg status you will need to pay sales tax again even if you still own it, as of april 1 you will pay book value on everything 1989 and newer
As for your insurance problem by law you can have a truck reg in your name and be insured in your business name it just needs to be done as a DBA. It just how your agent writes your cert of insurance. Your name must show on reg and insurance cert to meet state law on insurance. All four of my trucks are done that way.
As for dot numbers they got him on CGVW over 18,000 just the truck nothing needed under 26,001

·
Registered
108 Posts
my plates are already commercial since it's a one ton. what other paper work do i need to submit to DMV
If you are going to place your plates in on nonactive status you need to bring both plates to DMV and they will hold them for i think for 9 months.There is a small fee!!!! for that service. No insurance but you will have to pay property taxes.
Just get your insurance agent to fix your cert of insurance to state your name first than DBA as your business and your all set. Title and reg can stay in your name. The problem is your insurance does not match the owners name or name on reg so by state law you have no insurance that's the whole problem.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you are going to place your plates in on nonactive status you need to bring both plates to DMV and they will hold them for i think for 9 months.There is a small fee!!!! for that service. No insurance but you will have to pay property taxes.
Just get your insurance agent to fix your cert of insurance to state your name first than DBA as your business and your all set. Title and reg can stay in your name. The problem is your insurance does not match the owners name or name on reg so by state law you have no insurance that's the whole problem.
I don't think your understanding. I've always had commercial plates. The plates aren't the issue it's the DOT # What does DMV need from me in order to have these numbers ? Forms / Inspections / Proper insurance

I changed my insurance to DBA so thats all set. what else do I need ?

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - SPONSOR
2,184 Posts
Mike
Why not go to DMV and get a copy of the section of law that they are telling you that you are not conforming to. Ask them to highlight the areas that they feel you are not getting quite right and then pose specific issues with us so that we can actually try to give you answers that will help you get the truck registered.

Your last statement "I changed my insurance to DBA so thats all set. what else do I need ?" is leaving everything wide open again. I am not tying to be harsh but it sounds like you think the DBA was what it was going to take to fix your problem but now you think there might be more issues you need to deal with.

After you get the list of specifics, post them and lets see if we can figure this out.

John

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
1. comm plates can not be changed to comb plates if gvw s over 10,000 no way around that.
My pickup is has comb plates? 12,200gvw. Both title and ins in the business name:popcorn2

·
Registered
108 Posts
My pickup is has comb plates? 12,200gvw. Both title and ins in the business name:popcorn2
That just show's they have no idea what they are doing. State law states any GVW over 10,001 must have comm plates the only exception is for farm plates. I tried reg my f350 12,500 with combo plates they denied it when i questioned them they showed me a copy of the law that stated 10,001 gvw so i saw it with my own eye's. They had to change the law for Ford f350 single wheel pickups 10,500 gvw so they can have combo plates.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
That just show's they have no idea what they are doing. State law states any GVW over 10,001 must have comm plates the only exception is for farm plates. I tried reg my f350 12,500 with combo plates they denied it when i questioned them they showed me a copy of the law that stated 10,001 gvw so i saw it with my own eye's. They had to change the law for Ford f350 single wheel pickups 10,500 gvw so they can have combo plates.

How can they make home owners who have one ton pickups register a commercial plate? They dont' have a business.:huh:beatsme

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here in CT, last August, I transfered a combination plate from a 8600 GVW P/U that I sold to my 1 ton dump. The registration is in my name, and I only registered it at 11k GVW, but the clerk never questioned the combination plate. On the CT DMV website they list the fees for combo plates up to 12,500 GVW. The fees for commercial plates and combo plates were about the same, combo plates for me were only $7.00 cheaper over two years, so I don't know what the real advantage is having combo plates. You still can't drive on the Wilbur Cross or Merit parkways even with combo plates if your GVW is over 7500.

Would be nice if everyone in the DMV would get on the same page with registration and CDL regulations.:headwall

61 - 80 of 90 Posts