Snowplow Forums banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
At a minimum, a sticky would be a good idea.

There are huge differences in enforcement and knowledge in various states. CT has a notoriously weird DMV. This confusion has created an interesting cottage industry in compliance. In some states DOT matters are a DMV issue, in others they are a tax matter.

The confusion is that the majority of the regs are designed for the over-the-road and commercial hauler, but a few years back they lowered the weights to 10,001 lbs. That snares most with a 1 ton and a mower trailer.

To coin a phrase: "Every Dog Has His Day..."

This requires patience, reading, and sometimes, a little professional help.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
they may be enforcing this stuff now because they need the money but i don't know to many people saying hey i got this notice in the mail saying (ABC co. needs to get this because they have a commercial truck) . To be honest they do a good job of enforcing something that not one person can explain to you in english and nor do they send you anything out.

For example if i was a young guy just starting out got a truck say weighing 25 K gvw with a dump body on it went got it registered the dmv says nothing nobody says nothing how would you know?

or if you had a truck already no one still sends out notices to you so how do you know ?

They think evey one is a mind reader and can know what laws they past for one day to the next.

That's all i'm saying and going off topic here but they rase the gvw to 25,999 that a class D driver can drive a rental or normal truck why not raise the trialer weight to go along with that for guys who have mini excavators and bobcats? I'm not talking tractor trailers ? wouldn't that make sense maybe make the trailer weight go to like 20K gvw?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
CT has stepped up enforcement alot since the Avon mountain crash were a triaxle dump lost its brakes and killed I think around 10 people when it crashed into cars at the base of the mountain. The owner had no insurance.

So although they dont get any money for the dot# process since its a federal requirement they do get money for the infractions. Im not sure if other states require the min 750k liability but thats what CT requires as I said earlier.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
CT has stepped up enforcement alot since the Avon mountain crash were a triaxle dump lost its brakes and killed I think around 10 people when it crashed into cars at the base of the mountain. The owner had no insurance.

So although they dont get any money for the dot# process since its a federal requirement they do get money for the infractions. Im not sure if other states require the min 750k liability but thats what CT requires as I said earlier.
3 where killed and numberous where injured. Then another accident a few months later.

The owner of the company plead guilty this past week. He is going to jail. don't ever to anywhere near Avon mtn unless you have all your ducks in a row.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mike

Your last statement is what so many are doing or not doing there looking at what the other guys are doing..... The other guys arent gonna pay your fine if your stopped , you say you have them so no worrys..

Rick---Cat

They didnt just start this they have been preaching it in earnest for two yrs and gave more extentions on being compliant than i can count. Nov 08 is when they started enforcing it.

Back to Mike the largest Towing company in Midland has 35 tow trucks not one has a USDOT number on it now iam not gonna follow the pied piper into the river and drown because my biggest comp isnt complaint.

Again for those that didnt read i wrecked my 08 Sterling Wrecker on Jan 31st in the city limits of Midland, the cop admitted to me he had not filled out the Dot accident report before but Nov he had to start carrying them in the cars, it took close to a 1/2 hr for him to fill this fourm out. The forum was long and asked all the questions , i had to show my med card, and Fed inspection sticker, i noticed he checked the safty gear box probley because i have seen this same cop on rotation and iam sure he knew i was carrying the gear.

In 05 when i became legal the second largest towing company mocked me shortly after and had all there numbers on the truck. In Mi iam required to have a MPSC number to Tow .

I said the above because on the day of my accident Beehrs the big company here was on rotation i know the guys and they made a comment on why it was taking so long to move my truck off the bank it couldnt be moved til the forum was filled out i told them looking at there blank missing numbered trucks i told them your boss is flirting with disaster.

Ill talk to Chuck sounds like we could use a Forum just for the legal DOT topics i can see alot here are heading for trouble i think it would help everyone out to have a topic such has that.

Another three weeks ago Jack picked up a 1 ton service truck that crossed the center line sending a young kid by chopper to Ann Arbor were he is still listed has Serious, we hauled the Service truck back to our impound lot since at time of scene there was no Fatals , the following day the motor carrier divison showed up Jack had to haul the truck down to the scales were it was determined it was over the truck was missing DOT numbers the guy driving had passed out from a blood sugar issue , know you can connect the dots were this company is heading Jack said a total of 9 voilations were on the inspection forum it isnt gonna be pretty when it goes to court and worse yet if the kid he injuryed doesnt make it. Again a 1 ton service truck....

I never registered the truck with the number. The FMCSA's website says I don't require one. So it's very very confusing

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Ok I went to CT DMV today. The women that deals with DOT compliance told me my 1 ton does not need a # if I am never over 18k lb including a trailer and used intrastate . So Dave from Empire was correct.

So that gives me a little time to deal with adding my business onto the reg of the 1 ton which I need to do if I want to tow my equipment around with it. I forgot to ask her where the annual inspection comes into play (at what gvw) for the Top Kick im registering.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I got that same story but guess what that doesn't fly with the DMV police. You get a ticket anyway.

I really hate this state. Connecticut the state where you can't do anything including wiping your back side without a permit

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I hadn't been watching this thread for a few days, but since my name got brought up I'll chime in.

With DMV everything is about asking the right questions. Depending upon how you ask you get a different answer. There are so many variables it's best to call someone in the DOT/DMV office, get their name and then ask them question from a list you have made beforehand. Ask questions several different ways/ with different scenerios. You'll be suprised at the loopholes when you ask it from different angles.

As for my trucks, I got my DOT #'s years ago. MAINE ONLY! There is a difference. I do not go inter-state, only intra-state(do not leave the state for commercial purposes). Makes a HUGE difference.

The numbers were free.

I do NOT need to post them on my trucks, I choose to to avoid questions.

I have 1 # for my entire fleet. Allows the State to track me via 1 #. They know any vehicle with that # is from one company. Fine by me, I could care less what they do with it.

As for my truck, when I drove it across country from Howards I got a transport plate for $14.00. No DOT #'s, nothing but an insurance card and a paper plate. Of course, in Newcastle, SD? I had to skate around a DOT roadside CMV check. Just didn't want to deal with any questions. Wasn't hauling for hire so there was no issue, but I knew there would be questions.

If you own the product on the truck, you aren't hauling for hire. If someone else owns that load and you are inter-state hauling, you need the whole ball of wax. There is a lot to it, I looked into it and couldn't justify it.

If you haul for hire, are reg'd for over 10k lbs. you're best to get the state #'s and save some hassle later.

On edit: My trucks are reg'd to me, with a DBA of A. T. Greene Excavation & Snowplowing. I use the my pick-ups to haul my camper inter-state, but I own everything on-board and I'm not for hire, so no operating authority, national DOT # etc... are needed.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I got that same story but guess what that doesn't fly with the DMV police. You get a ticket anyway.

I really hate this state. Connecticut the state where you can't do anything including wiping your back side without a permit
It is all very confusing. I used to keep a DMV book in my truck incase I got pulled over again pulling my 10,000lb trailer with my 6500.

My thing is just play stupid. That is the best bet IMO

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Another question. Who has to pull into the weigh station when open. Does it go by weight or is it any commercial vehicle.

This morning on my way to the DMV I was going by the weigh station and the sign said OPEN. Wow that made me think because I was in my 1 ton dump. They had a chase car at the exit that pulled over a small isuzu box truck. I guess that could have been me. I guess if it was I could of had all my questions answered!!

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Another question. Who has to pull into the weigh station when open. Does it go by weight or is it any commercial vehicle.

This morning on my way to the DMV I was going by the weigh station and the sign said OPEN. Wow that made me think because I was in my 1 ton dump. They had a chase car at the exit that pulled over a small isuzu box truck. I guess that could have been me. I guess if it was I could of had all my questions answered!!
Go to Conex. There will be reps there from DMV. You will get your answers. Ask them to show you in the manual too. So you have a reference.

·
Registered
220 Posts

The weight station sign here says trucks over 4 tons

So pretty much everyone 3/4 ton or bigger

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Another question to ponder...

How many people hire someone else from Craig's List without checking for DOT, MC #'s & Cargo Insurance? In case of an accident, all parties involved could be held liable.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - SPONSOR
2,184 Posts
Another question to ponder...

How many people hire someone else from Craig's List without checking for DOT, MC #'s & Cargo Insurance? In case of an accident, all parties involved could be held liable.
Mick
If you know someones DOT number you can go to the FMCSA website and pull up there credentials and verify all of the above. based on electronic transfer of information between the FMCSA and the insurance companies the site is updated automatically and instantly if a revocation of any required insurance takes place.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Mick
If you know someones DOT number you can go to the FMCSA website and pull up there credentials and verify all of the above. based on electronic transfer of information between the FMCSA and the insurance companies the site is updated automatically and instantly if a revocation of any required insurance takes place.
Yes, it was a rhetorical question. I'm a freight broker and use FMSCA frequently.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I think anything that has a body on it dump rack box flatbed and if it has commercial plates. I see the smaller trucks just use the bybass lane in NH on 93 just the big tractors on the scales.

I had and still do have the same question and do you need the dot numbers if you drive your box truxk or dump out of state but are not hauling anying? I guess MA does not require them at least what i get out of looking at that goc site. but then again it's only if you can decifer it. half the people enforcing these things will give you a different answer.

·
Registered
156 Posts
http://www.mtac.us/

This web site is for The Motor Transport Assoication of CT. They run classes twice a month on DOT compliance for an non member the i last knew was about $100.00. The class is put on by the there instructors in which some are x troopers. They have the most knowledge here in CT.

·
Registered
108 Posts

you only need to stop for weigh station in CT if you have commercial plates(truck or trailer. Tow a trailer with truck with comb plates and comm on trailer you must stop) Most times they just wave you thur. If you drive past your fines are double.
as or DOT numbers in ct. your 1 ton (or any truck with commercial plates)must have them displayed with company name if your combine weight (trailer and truck is over 18,000 and has comm plates .don't forget CDL A for trailers over 10,001. just try to get one with a truck under 26,001 but you need it!! Make sure both have proper reg comm plates are required for trailers here if towed by comm plated truck.
Any truck with comm plates require fed inspection sticker on truck and trailer with comm plates. $225 dollor fine got one last year
So long and short commercial plates set the rules any COMBINED weight above 18,000 they need to be displayed. i have them and place magnete signs with numbers only when i tow my trailer than take them off. You need to keep maintance records for the comm plated trucks no matter what weight you could be called for a safety adit just for having DOT numbers. Best of luck .

·
Registered
220 Posts
you only need to stop for weigh station in CT if you have commercial plates(truck or trailer. Tow a trailer with truck with comb plates and comm on trailer you must stop) Most times they just wave you thur. If you drive past your fines are double.
as or DOT numbers in ct. your 1 ton (or any truck with commercial plates)must have them displayed with company name if your combine weight (trailer and truck is over 18,000 and has comm plates .don't forget CDL A for trailers over 10,001. just try to get one with a truck under 26,001 but you need it!! Make sure both have proper reg comm plates are required for trailers here if towed by comm plated truck.
Any truck with comm plates require fed inspection sticker on truck and trailer with comm plates. $225 dollor fine got one last year
So long and short commercial plates set the rules any COMBINED weight above 18,000 they need to be displayed. i have them and place magnete signs with numbers only when i tow my trailer than take them off. You need to keep maintance records for the comm plated trucks no matter what weight you could be called for a safety adit just for having DOT numbers. Best of luck .
You still need a Classs A for a 10k+ trailer?

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - SPONSOR
2,184 Posts
You still need a Classs A for a 10k+ trailer?
only if it is hooked to a vehicle that gives it a GCVW rating over 26,000. So if you had a trailer that was 10K and a truck that had a GVW of 16 or more then yes.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts