Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went to register a truck I bought at dmv. They wouldnt do it because dmv didnt have my updated liability ins (every 6 months) not a big deal but the big deal is that my 1 ton is registered to me personally and has been that way since new .The truck is not paid off yet so I do not have the title. The title has my name on it and not my business name. So since the names are not the same on registrations and liability certificates they wont renew my dot # so I cant register my new truck. They told me I can reletter my 1 ton with my personal name on it to match the name on the title. I cant just change the registration either. Do I need my 1 ton listed with a dot # legally.?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
If you cross state lines for commercial purposes, you'll need USDOT numbers.

If not, your state DOT rules apply.

Being a one ton, you might claim you are using it for personal purposes (like taking a trip) and not need USDOT numbers.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You only need dot#s if you combined gvwr is over 18,000 lbs.Truck and trailer.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You need a USDOT # for anything over 10,000#. (that would be a 3/4ton pickup and big landscape trailer, or any 1 ton) If in state only, it is intrastate. I don't think they do state #'s anymore. If for personal use only you don't need them. Business use, you do.
Matt

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Copied and pasted directly from the FMSCA site. No mention of weight.

Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number. Also, commercial intrastate hazardous materials carriers who haul quantities requiring a safety permit must register for a USDOT Number. The USDOT Number serves as a unique identifier when collecting and monitoring a company’s safety information acquired during audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations, and inspections.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
From the same site: (map was deleted)

In select states (see green highlighted states or list below), all registrants of commercial motor vehicles, even intrastate and non-Motor Carrier registrants, are required to obtain a USDOT Number as a necessary condition for commercial vehicle registration.

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
you know maybe this is stupid but why do you have to put all that crap on your truck really when you buy it you get tags just put what ever info you need on there I see no real purpose to have more numbers . that just makes it more confusing. one dot number cover 100's of trucks with many drivers. so if you have a co with 100 trucks and 5 are bad and you pull over the truck is good out of thoses 100 what do you do stop that truck because the others are bad?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Inspections are based on several factors. The one where hes sitting on the side of the road a chases you down is usually because he saw something that caught his eye and wants to take a closer look. The ones at the scale or random roadside setups are based on intial apperance as your first rolling up to them, they then run your DOT # in the computer. Each company is rated based on prior inspections, safety records, driver records and office inspections. New #'s and low ratings usually gets to visit with the Boys around back. And then you have those days where they play pick a number, if your lucky enough to be that # when you get to the front of the line then "tag" your visiting the Boys.

Cat, Those 5 junkers may never get inspected because a bunch of the good ones passed inspections and got the company rating up where the boys dont think its worth their time to bother with that company anymore for awhile.

You can check a companys rating by going here and entering some info,

http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SafeStat/SafeStatMain.asp?link=

·
Registered
220 Posts
I can kinda understand the confusion about the DOT# and Med cards as it isn't as clear cut IMO

But I don't understand how anyone can need a CDL simply because of a 10K+ trailer

Isn't CDL requirements set by the Feds now and should be the same for all states

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I can kinda understand the confusion about the DOT# and Med cards as it isn't as clear cut IMO

But I don't understand how anyone can need a CDL simply because of a 10K+ trailer

Isn't CDL requirements set by the Feds now and should be the same for all states
CDL, yes. But the original question was about DOT numbers. Separate issues, but you see them get confused sometimes

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
CDL, yes. But the original question was about DOT numbers. Separate issues, but you see them get confused sometimes
Mick

We are talking the same thing correct?.....

No CDL is required until the 26k limit , USDOT numbers on trucks with 10,001 and combined trailers required in the States listed.

I just read a report that the Feds are gonna start hitting the 25,999 groups great example is Wreckers , many are sold at 25,999 for the whole reason of keeping clear of CDL, problem is the Feds are fully aware of this ill use my 12 ton IH if iam pulling a Twin screw and get scaled myself or drivers better have a Class A on them the struck wieght of these wreckers yes thats fine but Even my carriers running doubles when scaled are gonna be over.

Honestly this i why i require my guys to all have Class A . The test with a little prep is not a hard test to pass, Air brake endorsement isnt hard to pass either with a little pre study.

This topic has really been misunderstood and why the Feds kept bumping the times forward to be in the legal end of it... In there opinion enough time has went by for all to compley hence the fines are being written in earnest.

Jeff "Crash" said it best there not ness out to get you its just if your lottery ticket gets picked on that day you better have your numbers in your hand..:wink

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Mick

We are talking the same thing correct?.....

No CDL is required until the 26k limit , USDOT numbers on trucks with 10,001 and combined trailers required in the States listed.

I just read a report that the Feds are gonna start hitting the 25,999 groups great example is Wreckers , many are sold at 25,999 for the whole reason of keeping clear of CDL, problem is the Feds are fully aware of this ill use my 12 ton IH if iam pulling a Twin screw and get scaled myself or drivers better have a Class A on them the struck wieght of these wreckers yes thats fine but Even my carriers running doubles when scaled are gonna be over.

Honestly this i why i require my guys to all have Class A . The test with a little prep is not a hard test to pass, Air brake endorsement isnt hard to pass either with a little pre study.

This topic has really been misunderstood and why the Feds kept bumping the times forward to be in the legal end of it... In there opinion enough time has went by for all to compley hence the fines are being written in earnest.

Jeff "Crash" said it best there not ness out to get you its just if your lottery ticket gets picked on that day you better have your numbers in your hand..:wink
I think so. According to the quote from FMSCA, a USDOT number is required on any vehicle engaging in interstate commerce. Also, some states require a USDOT number. The requirements for USDOT numbers and CDL are different. You could be driving an S10 and require a USDOT number if hauling freight, but not require a CDL.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
One more thing to make clear and its a big money diff. If you dont leave your state then apply for Intrastate, if you do haul outside of your state then you are required to have Interstate Auth.

Note grab your pants if your hauling Interstate this costs thoasands more in insur premuims trust me. Another note has a FYI once you apply for your USDOT number be prepared for a ton of calls from Agents these are companys that you need to file your BOC and they will be the ones who represent you when operating outside your state.

You can file your own BOC if Intrastate which also makes it less painful...

Fellows from what i have read here and on the other thread were i posted my operating auth sounds like alot of members need to log onto the Fed site and do some research, remember its not gonna be what your buddys doing or did when they check you down its only gonna matter how you are set up.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
None of the guys posts are making any sense.

Why won't they register it if its a "personal use" vehicle?
Could it be hes trying to register it under his name using a company
named DOT # required insurance card?
Why not get a NEW insurance card with his NAME
and using a MSO/dealer transfer paper/registration/ title that should
of been furnish WITH the vehicle when it was purchased ?????????

*scratches head*:eek:

1 - 20 of 90 Posts