Snowplow Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but a good little story. I tore down a house here in somerville,ma. I was dumping all of the drit and old foundation and driveway at Cambridge bark and loam on concord st. My bosses Mack DM600 10 wheeler was down at the time. So we were using his 1993 F-superduty or 450, it has a 9 yard body on it. no matter how much it was filled it the body would always raise right up. Well I was leaving Bark and loam with 9 yards of 3/4 gravel... Ya thats right 9 yards 3/4 gravel in a one tone stupid rigth, was only going 2 miles back to the job. Anyways drove up the street a bit and Cambridge D.O.T pull me over "what a Suprise" :rolleyes:. I kinda new the cop and he asked me what was in the truck and I told him, and he almost fell over, he said 3/4 gravel is about 3,000 lbs a yard times 9 the 27,000 lbs the truck weight about 10,500 and GVW is 16,000, so i was only 21,500 overwight. I asked him how much the ticket was going to be and he told me to get this pos truck out of his sight right now and dont come back, As he was walkin back to his van I heard him say F**king owner operators always breaking the law !. So I mosied up the road and dump the load and never went back, for a one ton extremely over weight it stopped and drove pretty good. Made the old IDI 7.3 work a little hard on a hill or two. But the truck stopped good, and some body roll on a turn or two. Well thats my story. and I'm stickin to it. Be gentel on me I know I was stupid but wasn't going far :grinz:rolleyes::D

Gotta say one thing the truck did have the heart of a triaxle,

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Franklin got a truck team & they use it, I saw 3 trailer dumps pulled over on Friday getting the once over.....

To the original poster, You can't kill the 93-97 Superduties :grinz

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ya JD, That was Mochi's truck. It was his idea :rolleyes:, Not only was I overweight, the truck was missing everything D.O.T wanted, a few lights were out, It smokes like a chimney, Like I tell everyone that fills the truck weight is not the problem its the volume, that piston will lift anything. :cool:

Somerville was going to get a truck they sent 3 of the traffic cops up to the state police D.O.T school to get certified, but the state police colonel wounldn't sign off on them. Because the city and town truck teams are taking the money from the fines and putting the money back in to the citys and towns. The state police say that the money is suppost to go back to the state. I know that cambridge and a bunch of other cities and towns lost their truck teams becasue it. There was a whole thing on the news about it. Which is good for us now all we have to watch for is the staties.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
you have to love them they could care less weather the trucks are safe or not it all comes down to the almighty dollar and who is going to get it . so really all those DOT state local police pulling you over it not because they care if a person will die from some bone head that oveloads a POS it's all about who will cash in on how much they can rape you in fines.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
you have to love them they could care less weather the trucks are safe or not it all comes down to the almighty dollar and who is going to get it . so really all those DOT state local police pulling you over it not because they care if a person will die from some bone head that oveloads a POS it's all about who will cash in on how much they can rape you in fines.
Get this...A few years ago I remember hearing from an old timer that ran a combo for Mass-Highway, that there was a big storm coming and all the combo's & plow's were called in early to pre-stage for there respective routes, well when the drivers came out after the got signed in, guess who was there checking the trucks over, these ballsy bastards were writing tickets for uncavased salt loads & all kinds of BS things....Needless to say the drivers were beyond pissed & were ready to say screw it & go home & park the trucks for the winter....Lets just say it was taken care of with a simple phone call & alot of choice words :wink Only in MASS were the Mass Holes run free

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I think right now if all the private contractors said for get about this plowing stuff for the state there would be no roads open the state does not have the equipment and drivers like they used to the dcr in stoneham or mdc as it used to be called has maybe a handful of trucks at bet comparing to a majore fleet with many mecanics on duty and a paint show that ran non stop to keep the equipment clean. they auctioned off just last year all the rest of the sander and dump bodies . it was funny to see the yard over here so bare comparing to the hundreds of truck operating and non that used to have . And if those cops pulling every one over had to work for a living they would probably be a little more understanding. there are always some guys that run crap that is falling apart but for the most of us the euipment is kept in decent shape or you make no money right.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I think right now if all the private contractors said for get about this plowing stuff for the state there would be no roads open the state does not have the equipment and drivers like they used to the dcr in stoneham or mdc as it used to be called has maybe a handful of trucks at bet comparing to a majore fleet with many mecanics on duty and a paint show that ran non stop to keep the equipment clean. they auctioned off just last year all the rest of the sander and dump bodies . it was funny to see the yard over here so bare comparing to the hundreds of truck operating and non that used to have . And if those cops pulling every one over had to work for a living they would probably be a little more understanding. there are always some guys that run crap that is falling apart but for the most of us the euipment is kept in decent shape or you make no money right.
Oh I agree, there are some real sh!t boxes out there that shouldn't be on the road.....The state should stop nickel & diming the sub's when it comes to pay & start times, I've plowed for many towns & everyone paid you from the time they called you in, till the time they tell you to go home, all of a sudden the state is paying from the time you get to your respective pits & I mean to the minute, last year I was called in @ 5:07am I arrived @ my pit @ 5:32am & when I went to check in, the guy clicked the truck in, on the computer & thats the time I got payed from, not 5am when I was called

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - SPONSOR
2,184 Posts
Tommy
You got a way easy. Here is the fine structure for NY. You would have used the second set of fines that were for Over axel weight. As Steve said the 450's do not carry any more than a 350 in regards to carrying capacity. You were in the 20-25% I am sure and maybe the 25-30% on the rear axle.

NYS FINES
Overdimension Only: $200 minimum per New York State Vehicle & Traffic Law
GROSS WEIGHT AND INNER BRIDGE VIOLATIONS
0 - 2,000 lbs. overweight $50
2,001 - 3,000 lbs. overweight 75
3,001 - 4,000 lbs. overweight 100
4,001 - 5,000 lbs. overweight 200
5,001 - 6,000 lbs. overweight 300
6,001 - 7,000 lbs. overweight 400
7,001 - 8,000 lbs. overweight 500
8,001 - 9,000 lbs. overweight 600
9,001 - 10,000 lbs. overweight 700
10,001 - 15,000 lbs. overweight 1,200
15,001 - 20,000 lbs. overweight 1,700
20,001 - 25,000 lbs. overweight 2,200
25,001 - 30,000 lbs. overweight 2,700
30,001 - 35,000 lbs. overweight 3,200
35,001 - 40,000 lbs. overweight 3,700
40,001 - 45,000 lbs. overweight 4,200
45,001 + lbs. overweight 4,700

AXLE WEIGHT VIOLATIONS
0 - 5 percent overweight $ 100
5 - 10 percent overweight 200
10 - 15 percent overweight 350
15 - 20 percent overweight 600
20 - 25 percent overweight 1,000
25 - 30 percent overweight 1,600
30 - 35 percent overweight 2,400
35 - 40 percent overweight 3,600
40 - 45 percent overweight 5,100
Over 45 percent overweight 7,000
There is an additional $30 surcharge per ticket. Operators may be fined for either over-gross or over-axle,
whichever is greater. Fines may not be reduced, and are calculated from legal weight. Drivers may not
shift load to avoid an over-axle citation. Fines may vary from the above in New York City

21 - 33 of 33 Posts